Clash of the (mini)-titans! RE2 vs. Super.fi 3
Nov 7, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgrling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a "bass-freak" or anything (although I may be freaky in other ways). I just want to have a fair representation of bass in my earphones. And it seems like the RE2 is able to deliver that, right?

So from what people are saying: RE2 > ER6i > SF3, ya?

what kind of music will you be listening to with the RE2? I believe that will be the deciding issue. if your a huge R&B or hip hop fan. forget it. at least without a Fiio, which brings the bass to an ok level. seriously, no matter how good a seal you get, these are bass light. If you love lots of acoustic stuff, then you may be in good shape, but the thin low end will still be noticed.

I hate to seem like I hate these phones. I do not. when I paired them with the FiioE3, the bass boost helped a lot. It also did even out the soundstage and tame that "high mid" that I referred to. But I still end up wanting more with typical bass heavy songs. The high end is just so good on these, I wish it could push out a bit more warm low end. but then again, they are under 100 bucks.

Maybe a good comparison would be "grado-like", except without the bass extention.

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #17 of 28
Anyone who think the ER-6i are bass-less whinyphones needs to seriously use them with Shure olives. The triflanges are horrible.

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #18 of 28
I suspect that most issues with IEMs and bass have to do with the quality of the seal. I thought the RE2s were light in the bass until I switched to Comply tips and let them break in. The difference was night and day.

In fact, the main use I have for the RE2s is while I'm on an exercise bike. The bass is always better when I get off the bike and the phones have sweated into my ears.

I think the seal or lack thereof explains the variance in reviews on this type of headphone.

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #19 of 28
Bought a pair of RE2's for my brother with a fiio e3 and I have to say they sound pretty damn good, especially with classical, or anything with piano in it. Great detail on the high end.
The bass isn't very punchy,(especially minus the fiio) and by no means will satisfy bass heads, but the amazing clarity and detail is enough for me to recommend them.
Although if you do plan on buying RE2's I would suggest waiting till black Friday, because I wouldn't be at all surprised if they went on sale again..

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meta-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although if you do plan on buying RE2's I would suggest waiting till black Friday, because I wouldn't be at all surprised if they went on sale again..

Partly why I sold mine and my FiiO just barely. Figure in a few weeks I can buy the same combo again for $40 less if I don't find something else to suit my fancy.
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #21 of 28
I own UE Super.fi 3s and have owned the Head-Direct RE2. Personally, I preferred Super.fi 3 over RE2 most of the time. Super.fi 3s have much better separation, more upper midrange detail and deeper bass. Being a dynamic driver IEM, RE2s are fuller sounding, but personally, I found their sound to be quite muffled, boring and lacking energy compared to that of Super.fi 3 running out of a decent source. Both lack soundstage, but at least Super.fi 3 has good separation and thus doesn't sound as congested as RE2. Overall, I think that Super.fi 3 is a better value, but many people will disagree of course - it's all a matter of what kind of sound you like.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #22 of 28
yes, I'll definitely wait until post-Thanksgiving to make a decision.

I know the RE2s have dropped as low as $70 on their website, which is about the same as the SF3s on amazon. So price-wise they seem evenly matched to me.

Man, I might just have to buy and try both to see which I prefer and return/sell the other. Hmmm...

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgrling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, I'll definitely wait until post-Thanksgiving to make a decision.

I know the RE2s have dropped as low as $70 on their website, which is about the same as the SF3s on amazon. So price-wise they seem evenly matched to me.

Man, I might just have to buy and try both to see which I prefer and return/sell the other. Hmmm...

That's a very good idea - if you have the money that is.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #24 of 28
Did you end up getting both?

I'm looking at both of these at the moment - it's for travelling so isolation is important, but essentially the one that sounds best is what I'm after.

Listen to mainly rock/indie music - anyone else heard them both?

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #25 of 28
I have the RE2's and I tried out the SF5 Pros. Did not like the comfort of the SF5's and the sound signature was odd. RE2's have a nice sound, but they really are weak in the bass as many others have stated. I can't speak for the SF3 other than to say I'd be wary of the fit and comfort.

If you can still get the Shure SCL4's for $79, I'm pretty confident they will beat both the RE2 and the SF3's handily.

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #26 of 28
i use shure small flex sleeves with m-audio ie10 (SF3), comfort is excellent imo, except for when you are sleeping on your side with them or you dont have both pieces in your ear. i think most of the weight of the headphones is actually distributed over my ear than in the the centre of the ear.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #28 of 28
Own all 3 phones.

I'm puzzled by the reaction to the RE2 bass response. I wouldn't call it strong, but it is accurate and high-quality. My test for these things is how well it picks up the bottom of a pipe organ piece (~30Hz), and I've found the RE2 as good as any, and better than most; the best sound of the three overall.

I just got the super .fi 3, and I've found the sound warm, very suitable for pop beats and focals, less suitable in the subtle upper range of rock and jazz cymbals and classical flutes; everything sounds damped in those ranges. The best sound straight out the box; most other phones need the bottom equalized upward.

The 6i has a thin bottom, but becomes precise in the top ranges, almost crystalline. Sound shrill to some, bright to others. Your call, there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back