Circumaurals Like Porta Pros?
Oct 21, 2011 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

suburbanite

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sure this has been done to death but I don't have much time for wading through archived posts.

I recently bought and tried out the Sennheiser HD 555's and liked the following:
  1. small size of earpieces
  2. enough bass
  3. replaceable ear pads & cable
  4. velour ear pads & headband
  5. single cable

I couldn't tolerate the following:
  1. fit was too tight for my 59cm crown
  2. head felt like it was in a vice

What I'd like in a pair of 'phones:
  1. small earpiece size
  2. enough bass for listening to alternative rock, heavy metal, electronic music
  3. good soundstage for watching movies
  4. <$150

I currently have a set of Koss Porta Pros and like the sound they deliver. Plenty of bass for electronic music and I can hear the snare, high hat and cymbals so clearly. If I could find a set of circumaurauls that deliver their sound, I would probably be satisfied.

I considered the Audiotechnica ATH-700's for my big head but the earpieces look so big that I think they would be pushed forward if I rested my head against my big, mushy recliner headrest while watching movies. I also read they are rather weak in bass which is a concern for my musical tastes.

At <$150, I don't expect the greatest conceivable headphones and am willing to make some compromises.

I appreciate any help you can give as the HD 555's showed me that I really do want some good entry-leveal circuamaural 'phones. I just don't want my head to be in a vice.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 7
The Koss UR-40 uses the titanium version of the Porta Pro drivers and they are circumarual cans. Moreover, if you take them apart, you will realize that you can actually attach your Porta Pro drivers inside the UR-40 without any difficulty at all. They just snap in. Voila - circumaural Porta Pro.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
The Koss UR-40 uses the titanium version of the Porta Pro drivers and they are circumarual cans. Moreover, if you take them apart, you will realize that you can actually attach your Porta Pro drivers inside the UR-40 without any difficulty at all. They just snap in. Voila - circumaural Porta Pro.

You sir, are a genius.

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 7
I looked at the UR-40's and may actually try them.

However, I was looking for a set of stay-at-home circumaurals that are a bit more sturdy in their construction.

In addition to music, I also want these for watching movies so I'd like something with good soundstage. I'm not sure if portable 'phones will deliver there.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 7
A definite improvement would be to go to to Creative Aurvana Live! headphones.  You can catch them on sale for $60 new which is a steal.  I recently reviewed a pair and loved the sound signature and was amazed at how well they sounded especially amped.

Here is a link to Tyll's review:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

Here is a link to my review:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/creative-aurvana-live-headphones/reviews/5751

The Good:
Excellent sound quality for the price
Constructed well
Low cost
East to drive
Improvement with amplification

The Bad:
Short cord length ( 3ft )
Not the most robust of headphones, but constructed well
Highs are slightly rolled off, but vastly improve with good amplification

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 7
If you like the Porta Pro check into the Koss Pro DJ100. It also has good mids, but less mid-bass probably. They're $80 and are often on sale.
They do need an amp to sound best though. I also use M50 pads with mine.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 7
Thread Resurrection because I tried the UR-40's and would have loved them but for (1) their shallow earcups which pressed on and irritated my ears and (2) their fragility.

What I'm looking for now:
  1. Open-backed
  2. 4' cable
  3. 3.5mm jack

I want to use these things with my PMP while walking and doing chores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back