Circuit City 9.99$ sale... Recommendations please
May 30, 2005 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MexicanDragon

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all...

I know its another "What should I get" post, but I'm in need of some help. I've been looking over some other recommendation posts and I kind of want to make a list of stuff to look for later on tonight. For what I listen to, some CD's I've recently purchased are:

Gorillaz - Demon Days (Ltd. Ed.)
Weezer - Make Believe
NIN - With Teeth (DualDisc)
Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams (8.99$ at CC today)
Ludacris - Red Light District

Stuff I've thought about getting from reading other posts:
Bob Dylan
Crystal Method

Stuff I saw at Circuit City that I thought about getting:
Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
Dave Matthews Band - Stand Up (8.99$ today)
Beck - Guero

Genre's I'm looking for (in no specific order):
Rock
Jazz
Classical
Techno
Hip-Hop/Rap

Mainly, I'm looking for GOOD music. I'll probably add to this, but recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks!

**BRENT**

May 30, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 14
Crystal Method is more breakbeat electronic than "techno," although if you like techno and rock you'll probably like them, since their latter CDs have a definite rock edge to them. I have all their CDs and recommend, in order: Vegas, Community Service II, Tweekend, Legion of Boom, Community Service.

For other techno acts you can't really go wrong with Leftfield, Underworld, Orbital, and Chemical Brothers.

May 30, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 14
When is this sale over?

May 30, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan
When is this sale over?

Hate to be a killjoy here, but I found every time Circuit City has had one of these big holiday cheap cd sales, I can't find a damn thing I want. Most of the time the stuff is out-of-stock...of course, I think they hope they can get you in there and get you to buy some other stuff that costs more than $9.99...

May 30, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 14
The sale is through today only. Usually, their stock is ok on sunday, but by monday, yes, it is gone. I know I could pick up Guero or the DMB one, but was wanting something that wouldn't normally be on sale. I might pick up the Soft Bulletin. Most people around here don't know the FL. Thanks for the rec for Crystal Method. I might pick up Vegas or CSII. They had plenty of both earlier today. I was there when it opened, but they didn't have anything that was on the list in my head.

I looked for Miles Davis (other than Kind of Blue), Coletrane (other than Giant Steps), Kronos Quartet's Nuevo (but they didn't carry ANYTHING from KQ), Flaming Lips (other than Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin).

Nothing.... No Charlie Parker or Cannonball Adderly either (i'm a sax player from back in the day... couldn't find anything). Looked for some classical, but Couldn't find any telarc pressings of anything i wanted. I found a deutch grammaphone (sp?) pressing of something, but it was 5.99 anyways...not today.

I'm gone... ... maybe next year

**BRENT**

May 30, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle b
Hate to be a killjoy here, but I found every time Circuit City has had one of these big holiday cheap cd sales, I can't find a damn thing I want. Most of the time the stuff is out-of-stock...of course, I think they hope they can get you in there and get you to buy some other stuff that costs more than $9.99...

I had plently luck the last time they had a $10 sale. You just have to get there before everyone else does to get what you want. I just want to make sure that they are closed today so I can get what I want tomorrow.

May 30, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 14
I just got back and didn't find any CDs I was looking for. My tastes differ from the popular norm though. I did, however, come home with $150 worth of DVDs. They had a really awesome selection of $10 and $12 DVDs. For example, they had Kill Bill I and II for $10 a piece!

May 30, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Crystal Method is more breakbeat electronic than "techno," although if you like techno and rock you'll probably like them, since their latter CDs have a definite rock edge to them. I have all their CDs and recommend, in order: Vegas, Community Service II, Tweekend, Legion of Boom, Community Service.

I, too, have all of the Crystal Method's discs; I'd recommend (in order): Legion of Boom, Vegas, Community Service II, Tweekend, and then Community Service I. Legion get's knocked for being somewhat rock, but I think it's some of the best stuff they've ever done.

Other than Crystal, there's very little I would recommend that you can get at CC in the way of electronica. I bet you'd like Hot Action Cop (2003), though. Awful as it sounds (ugh! not "hardcore" for goodness sake!), it's actually a lot of fun.

Stand Up is also pretty good. I would not purchase anything by the Flaming Lips, though. IMHO, OC.

May 30, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MexicanDragon
The sale is through today only. Usually, their stock is ok on sunday, but by monday, yes, it is gone. I know I could pick up Guero or the DMB one, but was wanting something that wouldn't normally be on sale. I might pick up the Soft Bulletin. Most people around here don't know the FL. Thanks for the rec for Crystal Method. I might pick up Vegas or CSII. They had plenty of both earlier today. I was there when it opened, but they didn't have anything that was on the list in my head.

I looked for Miles Davis (other than Kind of Blue), Coletrane (other than Giant Steps), Kronos Quartet's Nuevo (but they didn't carry ANYTHING from KQ), Flaming Lips (other than Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin).

Nothing.... No Charlie Parker or Cannonball Adderly either (i'm a sax player from back in the day... couldn't find anything). Looked for some classical, but Couldn't find any telarc pressings of anything i wanted. I found a deutch grammaphone (sp?) pressing of something, but it was 5.99 anyways...not today.

I'm gone... ... maybe next year

**BRENT**

This is exactly my deal, I buy a lot of cd's throughout the year, when a sale like this would pop up, I'd maybe think I could pick up something I maybe decided not to buy when it was first released, at the nice cheap price, usually, if not always, it was unavailable, oh well, back to the 'net stores...they'll have it.

May 30, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 14
Quick Update.

I got some stuff.

Beck - Guero
Wilco - Being There
Marilyn Manson - Lest We Forget: The Best Of
Placebo - Once More With Feeling

The last two were for the significant other. I'd been wanting Guero, and ended up getting that instead of Summer Teeth. I didn't really want two Wilco CD's today. Went with Being There because it was the better value... 2 cd's for 10$, and it was more to begin with, better deal...etc. Looking forward to work tonight to listen to all of this.

Don't forget, Best Buy will price match Circuit City, so that opens up a decent selection there.

I thought about getting the Flaming Lips' The Soft Bulletin, but its only 11.99$ normally, so I passed on that, for now.

Once I had someone to help watch my 2 year old, it was a lot easier to look around. Still wish I would have had a little more time.

**BRENT**

May 31, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 14
Crystal Method - Tweekend is an ok electronic album, if you want some EDM albums looks for these:

Shpongle - Are you Shpongled?
this highly original GOA trance style, very psychadellic, very smooth, very awesome. but CC prolly won't have it

Paul Van Dyk - Global
uplifting trance style just doesnt get much better, this is very smooth sounding and flowing too. CC should prolly have this, I see it all over

Sash and John Digweed- Northern Exposure III: Expeditions
this is great darker trance album, generally it's a little calmer and slower. I see this one in alot of music chain stores too, so they will prolly have it.

Infected Mushroom - Im the Supervisor
this is psytrance, it is harder kind of like house, but it's very original. You have to like harder trance in order to like this. The production on this album is also amazing. Converting Vegetarians is also another excellent album by IM. IM albums are harder to come by, but I have seen them in some stores.

May 31, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #13 of 14
Bob Dylan > Crystal Method

If you disagree, dont bother arguing with me. Just change.

May 31, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
too bad you passed on The Soft Bulletin, as it's really good! the australian version, which exchanges the mediocre Spiderbite Song for the great Slow Motion, is even better.

Don't worry... I haven't passed on TSB entirely. The reason I didn't pick it up is b/c its only 11.99$ normally. The wilco album is a 2 disc for 13.99 normally, and I ended up saving 4$ as opposed to 2$.

I wanted to get some Dylan. He is playing about 15 minutes from me wednesday night, along with Willie Nelson. I caught Dylan in Cali a few years back, but sadly didn't have an appreciation for him, other than what was popular and had recieved radio play over the years. I have to work that night, or I'd be there.

I'll probably pick up some Crystal Method at some point, yesterday just wasn't the day.

About IM... I have a friend who let me borrow B.P. Empire. His sis had to get it overseas (military). Its definately interesting. I haven't listened to it in a while, I'll have to put that on my list of things to revisit.

Thanks again for the recommendations. Still hate it that I had to make my decisions by 5 or so yesterday, and didn't have a lot of time to look around.

**BRENT**

Users who are viewing this thread

Back