Cincinnati Meet
Feb 26, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #16 of 63
The other amps I was impressed with were the PPX Slam, GS-1 and the little solid state Ray Samel for its amazing amount of detail and clarity.

Well there is one more! but I'm Biassed since its mine an specially after hearing it with the HD600 fitted with a cardas headphone cable.
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
blink.gif
cool.gif
The Modded GCHA!

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #17 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
Is that the Zana Deux!!? Impressions please
icon10.gif
I'm about to buy one. Besides k701, what headphones were used with it?

I luuuved the Zana Deux.
tongue.gif

I got the same type of emotional spark and immediate involvement I get from my favorite amps like the Supra-X and SLAM PPX3/ MPX3. I used mostly the 701's as the bass response is so potent the senn 600's sounded a little to bassy. Mikey01 listens louder than I do, and after the second time following him, I quickly learned to turn the volume down first
eek.gif
.... as the bass from this amp about blew my head off.

basshead.gif
This amp should be called the SLAMA DEUX as the bass power and slam are exceptional.

Mikey had this amp nicely tuned to his setup and I agree with Mikey the Zana was best with the 701's. Good job Mikey!!
icon10.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #19 of 63
I found the Raptor to be a very pleasant amp. I would put it in the same league as say a Mapletree Ear+ as far as sound goes. Good basic mass appeal. I new it was small but was still suprised by the size. It was very sexy looking. I enjoyed the sound of the HR-2 also. It was somewhat similar and very nice for a solid state. As solid states go I liked it second to the GS-1.
tongue.gif

Source units: I favored the Maridian G08 the best, the E5 second, then a top shelve Sony, then and finally extensivly modded Phillips 1000.

Headphones: The AKG K701's were first, Beyer DT 990 second.

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #21 of 63
I hope Billy posts soon with picts. I took a picture of him with his own camara.
Sorry the DT990's broke down. I fixed them already. It had a bad driver in the right earcup. I noticed the volume was down on that side and it sounded grumbly in the bass. Now it is fine.
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #23 of 63
Ehh? Where were you? If you had come to the NJ meet, we could have had the W10VTG, W11JPN, W100, W2002 and L3000 for serious comparisons....

And that's without even trying. Tho I suppose California might have a slight lead on us on woody comparisons with the W11R....

Best,

-Jason

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #25 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Ehh? Where were you? If you had come to the NJ meet, we could have had the W10VTG, W11JPN, W100, W2002 and L3000 for serious comparisons....

And that's without even trying. Tho I suppose California might have a slight lead on us on woody comparisons with the W11R....

Best,

-Jason

Haha..to be honest, i was unaware of even knowing there was a meet in NJ..guess i should read the meet gathering section more often

And i don't have a car at my disposal...ah well, maybe next time.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #27 of 63
Well Where do I start? jeezzzzzz

Hmmm,,,

The omega done PS AUDIO rig
this is the most serious rig as far as power plants I ever could imagine. Not only was there The PS audio power machines on the head amp and the g08 but each had its very own!
and the cables? power cables? OMG ...lol
I think a had a nightmare last night trying to fit those power cables behind my rack!
the sound was worth it but not pure perfect. with the Sensa's I heard a buzz with nothing playing. it was not much to get your panties in a bunch about but there was a buzz. I heard things in that rif I never heard though, esp with my Sensa's! I wanted to call up my friend who has a the headphone amp and ask to borrow it cause My sensa's sounded that good plugged in. I could hear the g08 likeness I have and I also heard a lot of the power plants to..sounded like my bpt..at least I could tell they were there.
the funny part about it is that looking at the back with all the huge power cords you seen this little itty bitty rca interconnect..lol

the second rig was the sft amp with the leather heads..
I am not sure if I was hearing the cans or the amp but something in that setup had me thinking. it was very effortless in the sound..like the sound was just free falling into your ears. that setup did instruments a certain way I never heard before. I switched the l3000's out in trade for the 701's and I knew then what I was enjoying was not only a great synergy but the l3000's! I never heard these before but i can tell you they don't sound like any other Audio Technica can I heard! their presentation of the sound was not the typical "down the hall" sound at all...actually very Sennheiser like! but cleaner, easier, freer!

Sacd's mpx with the those new tubes..I am talking about the mpx to the left and the tubes that were in at first. dude! Tell me every detail of that amp! My Sensa's loved it! it not only powered them beautifully but had a weird synergy with the Sensa's. Now before anyone says anything the Raptor does NOT power them correctly..by all means no it does not. this mpx not only did power them but had the purity that a solid state can only give to these iem's. Not sure why or how but SACD I want to know everything done to that amp including the first set of tubes you had in there.

I heard the Zana two different ways..well three.
first was all Mikey with his dt990's in toe. it was what sound SHOULD be like. I think more it was a perfect synergy then anything else, he put the entire rig together very very nicely as a team! I heard the zana with my Sensa's and it drove them perfectly, but because I can never or will never have the chance to own the Zana at the meet I won't say anything else about the Zana with my Sensa's. I also tried the Zana with my g08 and the 600's with some cable (I don't know what it was)...but something was not rite..not sure what it was but something was wrong...maybe I had the Senn cable connecters wrong./..lol not sure. Honestly this may be one of the best tube amps I will ever hear though..

The stock ppx slam Jacobs setup..
I liked the slam when I heard one at the Chicago meet and I still like that sound. Jacob you need to hook that bad boy on a g08! really! This Amp also drove my sensa's but it struggled at certain points...hey at least it drove them..more then what I get off mine. it was a great setup but man you need a g08! do the loaner program TTVJ has man..try one out.

the k1000 prima setup....
HOLY ****..I woke up this mourning looking on audiogon for a cary tube amp thinking about the k1000's..these cans not only shine with a great amp but they even sparkle like you see on people's teeth in corny infomercial's at night. I think I need me a set of these...and soon!
I heard them before with my amps and the t amp but there was no comparison to even think of. sure my hr2 powers them easily but omg the prima Luna blasted these things off earth. these cans require a great speaker amp to do them any justice..I mean I would do a set of CARY v12 mono blocks for these..they require the great speaker amp..Headphone amps need not apply

the x can setup was a surprise, not what i thought it would be, lots of pros and cons but for its price it shined! then again there was to much I was not used to with in the setup...so it was hard to place the finger one what was doing this or that.

the winners of the meet to me..

first were the people, I had a ball with all of you and i thank jacob for playing host!
Earl I think after the 500th tube number you said to me everything was burled out..lol My brain was witting as fast as it could but it didn't keep up (I also had 2hours of sleep before so..lol) thank you for the Gift man, I am sure to try these out soon..rite now I am playing with the engima cables..

SEcond was that gs-1 and the ps audio amp..
two solid states so close to my hr-2 but where they miss the hr2 makes but where the hr2 misses they make..and they make good. Its weird cause all three are sooo close in sound but not soooo close. they were all very neutral and I am glad I have gsx coming soon..lol
the gs1 came out the winner of the two other amps..it was my hr2 only sounded just...well easy. and no i am NOT selling my hr2..I think having a op amp and a discrete may work together.

Third was the Millet hybrid..
I am on the loaner/demo list so I will have one soon. I didn't listen to the amp with anything else but my sensas and it had the solid state snrgery needed but also added a tube sound to them..its weird cause it was the most effortless sound I heard the sensas and the millet was not the best amp there...not saying it was crap but still...anyway I can wait to try one out soon.

fourth...the single power mpx (again the one on the left, sacd had)...The reason why this wins cause when SACD did the Tube change the sound CHANGED! and i mean the sound changed alot. weird but I liked the first set of tubes in there to be honest.

anyway I didn't try the w5000's and I didn't even notice the jvc's until they were being packed up....lol well maybe next time.

the treasure of the meet has to be (at least for me) are the Enigma Audio cables I walked out with. Its to early for me to blow the horns but I have a few question for mister Enigma..
one is were these burned in before? second was can you p.m. Ryan and send him a set to try out...I am not giving up mine any time soon. these damm cables had me going threw my entire cd collection earlier. I was a/bing the against the Cardas Neutral Reference and I hope Todd has the 30 day return policy....lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back