CIEM with Etymotic house sound
May 24, 2020 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Sheeeeeway

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have an Etymotic ER3SE and am loving it but my right ear tends to get alittle sore after an hour with the triple flange tips. Currently looking for a pair of customs that sounds really close to the ER3SE and read somewhere that ACS Audio Evoke2 is an option. Any thoughts/recommendations? Preferably sub 1k!
Many thanks!

May 24, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 36
The 2 that come to mind are the Fearless S6 Pro. It also has a diffuse field signature, but with more treble. You can purchase this in CIEM form for not much more than the UIEM version.

The other one is the Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered. It has less upper mids, but more treble. The would be at your max budget (assuming you meant 1K USD).

BBE522D4-D654-4A57-BAC6-A603A09142F8.png

35A215F0-3104-438A-8EA9-F740382EF570.png

May 25, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 36
The 2 that come to mind are the Fearless S6 Pro. It also has a diffuse field signature, but with more treble. You can purchase this in CIEM form for not much more than the UIEM version.

The other one is the Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered. It has less upper mids, but more treble. The would be at your max budget (assuming you meant 1K USD).

BBE522D4-D654-4A57-BAC6-A603A09142F8.png

35A215F0-3104-438A-8EA9-F740382EF570.png
That really does look pretty close! Thanks for the recs man. I'll probably check them out soon.

Yup 1k USD is my max budget. Any experience with JH audio though? Wanted to get dem JH5s years back but they've already phased them out.

May 25, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 36
May 25, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 36
Lime Ears Model X could suit your needs as well.
And according to Crin the Hidition NT6 is the multi-BA version of the Etymotic, and comes as custom if you manage to buy from them in Korea....

May 25, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 36
JH has a warm, sometimes dark, house sound, so almost the complete opposite of the Etymotic series. If you want to compare sound signatures, check out Crinacle's list (https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/) and look for IEMs with DF-Neutral sound signatures. You can also play around with the graph comparison tool (https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/) and see what other IEMs look like to get a reference.

I will post this with the caveat that his rankings are the subjective work of one man, so like any reviewers, don't just take his word as gospel. I'm a big fan of his work and most of my views and opinions of IEMs line up with his (not all, but most), but it may not be the same for you. Use his list as a single point of reference and make sure you look around for other resources as well. Hope this helps!

May 25, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 36
That really does look pretty close! Thanks for the recs man. I'll probably check them out soon.

Yup 1k USD is my max budget. Any experience with JH audio though? Wanted to get dem JH5s years back but they've already phased them out.
I’ve only had the JH13v2, but I didn‘t like them. The upper mids and treble were uneven and very peaky. It was harsh sounding to me, and definitely not Etymotic-like.

May 25, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #9 of 36
Lime Ears Model X could suit your needs as well.
And according to Crin the Hidition NT6 is the multi-BA version of the Etymotic, and comes as custom if you manage to buy from them in Korea....

The Model X might be out of my budget for now. Any idea how the entry model Lime Ears Lambda fares? I did come across Crin’s review on the NT6 too! Sounds really promising man

May 25, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #10 of 36
JH has a warm, sometimes dark, house sound, so almost the complete opposite of the Etymotic series. If you want to compare sound signatures, check out Crinacle's list (https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/) and look for IEMs with DF-Neutral sound signatures. You can also play around with the graph comparison tool (https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/) and see what other IEMs look like to get a reference.

I will post this with the caveat that his rankings are the subjective work of one man, so like any reviewers, don't just take his word as gospel. I'm a big fan of his work and most of my views and opinions of IEMs line up with his (not all, but most), but it may not be the same for you. Use his list as a single point of reference and make sure you look around for other resources as well. Hope this helps!

That's what I've been hearing from my audio guys too. I've always been a fan of UE way back when and thought maybe JH might have what I'm looking for.

I did exactly that hours ago and it's all good stuff. Really good guide and probably a good place for me to start with graphs. I'm also a fan of his work and especially his grading system.

Thanks so much for this! It did help and I really appreciate it :)

May 25, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #11 of 36
I’ve only had the JH13v2, but I didn‘t like them. The upper mids and treble were uneven and very peaky. It was harsh sounding to me, and definitely not Etymotic-like.

Been using the Crin's graph comparison tool for awhile and I really gotta hand it to you for your recommendations. Two of the closest I've seen so far!
Guess the S6Pro and the UERR's my two options for now. And maybe the Hidition NT-1 as well. A store here in Singapore's having a sale on JH Audio CIEMs but I guess I'll give it a miss!

Any word on ACS Customs? Heard they're a company that makes hearing aids so I thought it might be interesting to get a pair of customs from them

May 25, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #12 of 36
Been using the Crin's graph comparison tool for awhile and I really gotta hand it to you for your recommendations. Two of the closest I've seen so far!
Guess the S6Pro and the UERR's my two options for now. And maybe the Hidition NT-1 as well. A store here in Singapore's having a sale on JH Audio CIEMs but I guess I'll give it a miss!

Any word on ACS Customs? Heard they're a company that makes hearing aids so I thought it might be interesting to get a pair of customs from them
I just happened to have researched those two IEMs quite a bit, specifically for their neutral tunings. I haven‘t pursued any Hidition IEMs b/c I’m too lazy to try and get them to the US, but I’ve only come across glowing reviews of their products.

I’m not familiar with ACS Customs. Maybe others are.

May 25, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #13 of 36
I just happened to have researched those two IEMs quite a bit, specifically for their neutral tunings. I haven‘t pursued any Hidition IEMs b/c I’m too lazy to try and get them to the US, but I’ve only come across glowing reviews of their products.

Dealing with Hidition can be tough since they don't speak English, but I used the Singapore dealer Zeppelin & Co. to place an order on the Hidition Viento R CIEM and that process went great (so far, my unit is still being built). Something to consider if you don't speak Korean.

May 30, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #14 of 36

I might go for the Fearless S6 Pro thanks to your recommendations. Will update again if I do get them!
Sorry for the late reply guys, been super busy 😪

May 30, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 36
Dealing with Hidition can be tough since they don't speak English, but I used the Singapore dealer Zeppelin & Co. to place an order on the Hidition Viento R CIEM and that process went great (so far, my unit is still being built). Something to consider if you don't speak Korean.

I’ve contacted Zeppelin and am waiting for their physical store to reopen so that I can test it out haha can’t wait! They are a nice bunch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back