CIEM that sounds like the HE-500?
Mar 27, 2014 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DougofTheAbaci

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of HE-500's for home use and they are, to my ears, perfect. They are exactly the sound I love... But I can't take them wherever I go!

As a sort of exploratory question (aren't those the most dangerous, financially?) I was wondering what CIEM comes closest to the HE-500 in terms of sound? I've had the Heir Audio 4.A and that came pretty close in some ways (dirty thieves relieved me of them) but where the HE-500 may not have bass emphasis I definitely don't really feel like it's missing, just perfectly controlled. The 4.A sometimes felt like it was missing some, though that may be due to lack of airiness that the HE-500 has? Currently my CIEMs are a pair of 8.A's but they are lacking on the high end with a lot on the low end. Sometimes it's just enough but there are other times when it feels a bit much for my ears.

I understand I probably won't find anything to compete with the HE-500's sound stage but I'd love to get close in a CIEM.

Am I dreaming? Does such a headphone exist? If I did this I'd likely be looking to sell my 8.A's to pay for whatever I got so bonus points if it's cheaper than I could sell those for, haha.

Mostly being driven by a Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 15
I was having the same issue in wanting a pair of IEMs that would recreate the sound of my favorite headphones. So far it's been a no go, although I've never explored the realm of CIEMs. The closest I've come to headphone like bass and "out of your head" soundstage is the Sennheiser IE80s and those are pretty far from even sounding or neutral. I've just conceded to the fact that they're a different monster and found an IEM with a sound that I like ( or a couple of them). For their stark contrast and sound I like the Shure SE535LTDs and IE80s. They're not headphones but I've stopped expecting them to be.

If you do find something that comes close, in your opinion I'd be very interested. I'll be watching this thread and good luck!

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 15
Doesn't look like we're going to get very lucky... I'm continuing my search but, unsurprisingly, CIEMs aren't compared against full-sized headphones in terms of sound so I'm having to kind of guess. Looking for something with great extension and a wide sound stage that's got a natural signature, but it's hard to search for those things, haha. Kind of have to just read between the lines.

Ultimate Ear's Reference In-Ear Monitor sounds like it might do the job, but the search continues.

Aug 11, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 15
If you do find something that comes close, in your opinion I'd be very interested. I'll be watching this thread and good luck!

So I recently bought the Noble Audio 4C and, to my ears, it's a pretty close match. Both have really natural sound and only give you thumping bass when it's actually supposed to be there. The one area the 4C doesn't keep up with the HE-500 is in sound stage, but that's to be expected given the kinds of headphones we're talking about.

If you'er still in the market for a CIEM that sounds like the HE-500, that'd be a good place to start.

Aug 11, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 15
From my experience you might take a gander over to Cosmic Ears as the are an affordable and great provider for Ciems. Soon they will be releasing production for their CE6 flagship model which will have 6 B-armature drivers per side. I'm sure these will recreate a great soundstage with 2 drivers dedicated to each frequency.

Aug 11, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 15
UERM doesn't sound like HE500. It sounds like itself, but like HD800 if I have to compare it to anything. (Interestingly, Audeze "predicted" that planar IEMs will be available in two years.) Based on my reading and friends, I think you should look into ES5. Best luck!

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #9 of 15
Does anyone
So I recently bought the Noble Audio 4C and, to my ears, it's a pretty close match. Both have really natural sound and only give you thumping bass when it's actually supposed to be there. The one area the 4C doesn't keep up with the HE-500 is in sound stage, but that's to be expected given the kinds of headphones we're talking about.

If you'er still in the market for a CIEM that sounds like the HE-500, that'd be a good place to start.

Are the Noble Audio 4C still the closest match you've found?  I'm also looking for an IEM or CIEM that's a portable version of my HE-500.

Alternatively, an IEM that's a cross between the Westone 4 and the HiFiMAN RE-600 would make me pretty happy

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 15
@zach915m might be able to recommend something suitable.

Hello!!!!

I've always loved the He-500 and it's been my main open back for years now. 

I recently heard the Noble 10 - which was fantastic, but has a VERY high price.  Here's the IEM's I have owned that did it for me.  I'm not saying these ARE closest to the HE-500 sound, I am saying coming from that these are what I've enjoyed:

BUDGET:  Havi B3 Pro I or Ostry KC06a

Havi is more neutral and the Ostry is more lush.  The Havi will be closer to the He-500 sound, but from what I've seen they may vary sound wise from set to set.

Med/High Range

Earsonics SM64:  Nobody does mids like Earsonics.  And that's at the heart of the he-500 sound.  For a BA IEM you can't go wrong with an earsonics product.  Loved these and wish I still had them.

Aurisonics ASG 2:  Haven't tried the 2.5 which is supposed to be more neutral, but the ASG 2 has tremendous bass depth and slightly sparkly treble just like the he-500, especially with it's port closed on each side.  A tiny bit more musical than the earsonics because it's a stage monitor type sound, but has the dynamic driver sound a little too and is a hybrid.

I haven't ever owned customs, but each of these have respective customs as well!  Hope this helps a little, IMHO the above are worth some research.  If it helps I've never found the Hifiman IEM's to sound like their respective cousins.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 21, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #12 of 15
  I recently heard the Noble 10 - which was fantastic, but has a VERY high price.  Here's the IEM's I have owned that did it for me.  I'm not saying these ARE closest to the HE-500 sound, I am saying coming from that these are what I've enjoyed:

BUDGET:  Havi B3 Pro I or Ostry KC06a

Havi is more neutral and the Ostry is more lush.  The Havi will be closer to the He-500 sound, but from what I've seen they may vary sound wise from set to set.

Med/High Range

Earsonics SM64:  Nobody does mids like Earsonics.  And that's at the heart of the he-500 sound.  For a BA IEM you can't go wrong with an earsonics product.  Loved these and wish I still had them.

Aurisonics ASG 2:  Haven't tried the 2.5 which is supposed to be more neutral, but the ASG 2 has tremendous bass depth and slightly sparkly treble just like the he-500, especially with it's port closed on each side.  A tiny bit more musical than the earsonics because it's a stage monitor type sound, but has the dynamic driver sound a little too and is a hybrid.

I haven't ever owned customs, but each of these have respective customs as well!  Hope this helps a little, IMHO the above are worth some research.  If it helps I've never found the Hifiman IEM's to sound like their respective cousins.

Thanks for the reply.  Are you saying the Noble K10 is your favorite IEM if cost is no concern?  What popular IEMs did you hear that you didn't like?

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #15 of 15

Thanks for the reply.  Are you saying the Noble K10 is your favorite IEM if cost is no concern?

Well - not enough time with the Noble's but it's a seriously good IEM.  If $ was no object I'd buy the Noble right now for sure.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back