CIEM Recommendations?
Sep 10, 2012 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

leebSaMmY

100+ Head-Fier
[size=10pt]I'm considering making the leap towards CIEMS. My earphone owning experience hasn’t been very extensive. I’ve owned Shure se215s, Triple.fis, and Q-Jays. Thus far, the 215s were what I’ve enjoyed listening to the most. I’m a huge hip-hop head, so bass matters to me. But in the past two years I’ve had three pairs of 215s and each started to fail on one side or the other at some point. My most recent pair started to fail just three weeks after purchasing them. So, I’ve decided I want to buy a pair of CIEMS. I don’t have much knowledge and I have no experience with them. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I listen to mostly FLAC/24bit FLAC via my computer and 320 via my iPod. 85% of my music is pre 2000s Hip-Hop/Rap. But I’m a college student so I do listen to House/Techno/Dance.[/size]
[size=10pt]Also, because I am a student I don’t have the bank account of someone on Wall Street. Which seems like so many of you have. So my price range will be around $400-800. I’ve been looking at the JH5 Pro. [/size]

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 6
I think it all depends on what part of that $400-$800 buget you want to hit... There are a lot of options in those price ranges.
Also depends on if you want to buy(not assuming where you are from) from what country?
$400-$800 is going to give you a pretty wide array of CIEM choices.

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 6
I have ordered the JH Audio 10 x3 Pro and will let you know how they end up.  I did audition the JH5, JH7, and JH13 against the SHURE SE535.  The SE535 is a great sounding universal, but my ears found them pretty uncomfortable.

JH5 Results
There are some serious crossover frequency issues in the 90Hz and below area.  It was very noticeable listening to Maroon 5.  The vocals began to blur significantly into the bass.  They would beat together and create strain on my ear.  I consider the JH5 a very poor choice.

JH7 Results
Much like the JH5 there remains some crossover frequency beating.  The bass is thick and muddy as well as too loud when it beats with the vocals.  The SE535 in comparison had no issues here.

The JH 10 x3 Pro Results
To me these sounded the most fun and balanced.  They were very close to the JH13, but had some obvious emphasis in the bass which I prefer.  They were not boomy, but remained a tad thick on some tracks.  The mids were lush and the highs were just like the LCD-2 I have at home if not just a tad more pronounced.  The JH 10 x3 Pro is a 3-driver and 3-way crossover design that in far surpassed both the JH5 and JH7.

The JH13 Results
These were also quite awesome to listen to.  They were very smooth in the mids and nicely downward tilted in the treble.  They had a bit more instrument separation in the mids than the JH 10 x3 Pro, but they also lacked some needed oommph in the lows.  The bass was a bit quicker on the JH13, but to me having two drivers in the low end should give you more amplitude and this was just not the case.  For the extra cost I could not justify the JH13, but if you can afford it and want a more neutral sounding IEM this would be the way to go.  I know the people there at Headphone.com really like them and Ben says he prefers them over just about anything else.

If you can wait 4 weeks I will let you know how it goes.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
[size=10pt]I'm considering making the leap towards CIEMS. My earphone owning experience hasn’t been very extensive. I’ve owned Shure se215s, Triple.fis, and Q-Jays. Thus far, the 215s were what I’ve enjoyed listening to the most. I’m a huge hip-hop head, so bass matters to me. But in the past two years I’ve had three pairs of 215s and each started to fail on one side or the other at some point. My most recent pair started to fail just three weeks after purchasing them. So, I’ve decided I want to buy a pair of CIEMS. I don’t have much knowledge and I have no experience with them. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I listen to mostly FLAC/24bit FLAC via my computer and 320 via my iPod. 85% of my music is pre 2000s Hip-Hop/Rap. But I’m a college student so I do listen to House/Techno/Dance.[/size]
[size=10pt]Also, because I am a student I don’t have the bank account of someone on Wall Street. Which seems like so many of you have. So my price range will be around $400-800. I’ve been looking at the JH5 Pro. [/size]

Why not re-shell the Q-Jays and TF10? That already looks like a killer combo, seeing how I use the TF10 tweeter in my Configuration.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
[size=10pt]I'm considering making the leap towards CIEMS. [/size][size=10pt]my price range will be around $400-800. I’ve been looking at the JH5 Pro.[/size]

You don't need to spend anything like that amount. Check out the Cosmic Ears thread on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back