Chukka Kinetic Powered MP3 Player (Craziest player yet?)
Oct 6, 2009 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pseudohippy

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone checked out this player yet. I wonder what the pros and cons could be to it. Seems like a neat idea and design. Not sure if it would be able to sound good. Wonder if the power source would be good enough. Either way, a neat idea I thought headfiers would be interested in checking out.

http:// www. mascdesign.co.uk/#/chukka/4534142114

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 11
I think it has some novelty appeal. Personally I might consider it for just that: novelty. I wouldn't use it as a cheap portable player since I wouldn't want to have to swing the thing around just to keep it powered up for my hours-and-hours of music playback. My hands would be tired long before I've had my fill.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 11
because i am greek i would like to make a clarification.

its not novelty its stealing
mad.gif

Karagos is bloggin' - Inspired by the Greek komboloi and begleri (worry...

it mimics our greek begleri

greek begleri - Google Images

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FarCry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
because i am greek i would like to make a clarification.

its not novelty its stealing
mad.gif

Karagos is bloggin' - Inspired by the Greek komboloi and begleri (worry...

it mimics our greek begleri

greek begleri - Google Images

Um, those two things aren't even remotely in the same category. The komboloi and begleris look like beads/neckless wear. The Chukka is a electronic digital audio player device. The latter may be inspired by the former, but the former doesn't play music. So that's not really stealing. It's more like borrowing the idea (hence "inspiration").

Wikipedia Article on Komboloi (bead collection for stress relief and wasting time)

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 11
yes i know but if there was a patent on the begleri that would pose a problem
devil_face.gif

anyway borrowing ideas and inspiration of others is not novelty
tongue_smile.gif

(and without proper credits its plagiarism...for academic purposes
tongue_smile.gif
)

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 11
Is the Rubik Cube a steal because it shapes a cube? I don't think so. The kinetic charge is a great idea (however not new)... the beads... well questionable, I'd leave that with the Greeks.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 11
From the Wikipedia article:

"The origin of the Greek komboloi is debated. It may derive from the komboskini used by Orthodox monks or the Islamic Misbaha. Armenians also have their own worry beads which serve the same purpose as the komboloi and are also non-religious in nature."

So, who exactly did they steal the idea from? Whoever it was, I'm sure their patent has expired.
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 11
I think it's quite cool to be honest. I'd consider buying one, I don't think it's gonna replace an AMP3 or anything like that though heh, but quite a nice little accessory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back