Chromebook as source?
Feb 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

indieman

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a source for my listening area. I'll be using the AudioQuest DragonFly as my dac/amp, and want to have my music library on a usb 3.0 external hdd. I don't have a lot of room or budget for a big computer or expensive ultra book. This Samsung chromebook is perfect for my size restrictions and budget. 
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+11.6%26%2334%3B+Chromebook+-+2GB+Memory+-+16GB+Flash+(eMMc)+Memory+-+Silver/6869096.p?id=1218810049489&skuId=6869096
What do ya'll think? It has a usb 3.0 port for the hdd, but will the DragonFly work well with it? I've never used a chromebook before. Is it just a terrible idea? Any suggestions will be appreciated! (Oh, my current headphones are the hd558's if that matters)

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 20
There are currently no drivers for the Chromebook to use to communicate with DACs.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 20
I just picked up the Samsung Chromebook and can vouch that it works with USB DAC, as long as it uses standard USB audio and not specialized drivers. It works perfectly with my FiiO E07K. The problem is that there isn't much local storage, so your best options will probably be external storage or streaming from cloud.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 20
I too might be considering to buy a Chromebook. I have set my sights for Toshiba (dual core Haswell CPU, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, 2xUSB 3.0 and Bluetooth v4.0).

All my music is in external USB 3.0 HDD in form of flac or mp3@320.

So my FiiO E07k should work hardwarewise but for a bit perfect audio I suppose the way to go is installing Ubuntu as dual-boot system with Chrome OS? Correct? I understand that there is even a linux (debian) version of J.River MC 19 which I'm currently using on my Windows 8.1 machine.

Chromebook is very tempting alternative for desktop PC for it's size and price. Plus it's practically quiet compared to desktop PC.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 20
I did today some experimenting with my old laptop (single core Celeron from year 2006).

I installed latest Ubuntu on it (dual boot with Vista) and connected my FiiO E07k/E09k combo. It worked right out-of-the-box with Ubuntu's native music player. Ok, so no problems there.

Next I installed Audacious and managed to set it up with ALSA. So I think I managed bit perfect. It sounded good at least. Unfortunately my skills with Linux are somewhat limited and I didn't manage to install J.River Media Center 19 (debian) on Ubuntu.

But all in all it looks like I might be able to work Choromebook with dual operating system (Chrome and Ubuntu) and get good sound out of it. Looks promising.

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 20
It seems fates didn't want me to buy Chromebook. My desktop PC with Windows 8.1 died today. Now I'm in urgent need of a new, modern PC so I ordered Windows 8 laptop: Samsung Ativ book 9 lite. Small, lightweight and sufficient for my purposes. So no need for Chromebook anymore.

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 20
Please note there is an issue in Chrome to support 24 bit DAC like Dragonfly. There would be no sound playing video in the chrome browser. The fix is merged in Chrome 46 version. I verified it with 46 development version.
Hopefully the stable release can see this fix soon.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=437836

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 20
The OP seems to have resolved their problem, and was asking about the AudioQuest Dragonfly, but I wanted to post this here in case other folks are wondering more generally if USB DACs work with ChromeOS.

I'm amazed and delighted to discover that my Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 works perfectly via USB with my Chromebox, which is a 2009 Mac mini running Neverware CloudReady version 50.1 (which I guess is a spinoff of ChromiumOS).

It's even running in asynchronous (class 2.0) mode. That was unexpected! Hats off to the Linux kernel, ChromiumOS, and CloudReady programmers for making this so painless.

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 20
I know this is an old thread but can anyone confirm that the Dragonfly DAC's do work with Chomebooks?

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #11 of 20
I recently purchased a Dragonfly, my first dac.  Connected to my Windows 10 laptop it sounds great.  Bought a Samsung Chromebook. Connected the Dragonfly to the Chromebook, same headphones and PandoraOne.  The soundstage and bass are diminished on the Chromebook.  The only difference between my laptop and the Chromebook is that I had to set up my laptop using the Control Panel to use the Dragonfly.  There is no Control Panel for Chromebook(at least I can't find it.).  In any case the Dragonfly goes from red led to green led on my laptop and my Chromebook BUT the sound is lacking on my Chromebook.  I plan to return the Chromebook unless I can fix the sound.

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 20
I've been considering a Chromebook for my Bedside listening rig but am unsure how it will play with USB Dacs.  I would either be pairing it with a Modi Multibit or Ciunas Dac.  

If that doesn't work, does anyone have a cheapish solution for a source that has external power, can stream music, and USB audio out?

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #13 of 20
  I've been considering a Chromebook for my Bedside listening rig but am unsure how it will play with USB Dacs.  I would either be pairing it with a Modi Multibit or Ciunas Dac.  

If that doesn't work, does anyone have a cheapish solution for a source that has external power, can stream music, and USB audio out?

you could use a raspberry pi and load moode audio on it.  raspberry pi 3 is less than $40 (https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-RASP-PI-3-Model-Motherboard/dp/B01CD5VC92/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1477399130&sr=1-2&keywords=raspberry+pi+3) and a plastic case is less than $10.  moode audio is free (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-23858/) and easy to install (need a micro sd card).

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #14 of 20
Old thread I know, but my JDS Labs ODAC works with my Acer Chromebook R11. I plan on getting a Schiit Magni 2 Uber to go with the R11 and ODAC. Will be using my Q701, and also plan to get an HD650 (again). 

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 20
So a quick update: the Acer Chromebook R11 is working flawlessly with the JDS Labs ODAC and the rest of my setup. Using Flac on a 200GB SD card and the Tidal (HiFi) Android app. I also have Ubuntu on this chromebook using Crouton and can use an external CD drive to rip audio CD's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back