Chrome bug on private messages
Oct 14, 2014 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

7nationarmy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi people. Recently I have encountered annoying bugs when opening HeadFi from chrome. I am currently running the latest version. 

1. When there is an incoming private message, the number displayed is often incorrect (ie: it says 3 incoming message when there is only 1)
2. Disappearing messages. This is how it happened: when there is a pop up saying I have a new message, I clicked it. Then, I click the bolded link that is the latest unread conversation (which actually displays correctly the first few words of the latest message sent). However, the latest message then disappeared from the conversation. When I navigate to the previous page, now the convo does not display the correct message anymore (it now displays the previous message since the latest one is gone). The message might appear and disappear again randomly.

This happened to both me (as the buyer) and the seller throughout our convo.

Have anyone encountered the same issue?

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 10
Hi people. Recently I have encountered annoying bugs when opening HeadFi from chrome. I am currently running the latest version. 

1. When there is an incoming private message, the number displayed is often incorrect (ie: it says 3 incoming message when there is only 1)
2. Disappearing messages. This is how it happened: when there is a pop up saying I have a new message, I clicked it. Then, I click the bolded link that is the latest unread conversation (which actually displays correctly the first few words of the latest message sent). However, the latest message then disappeared from the conversation. When I navigate to the previous page, now the convo does not display the correct message anymore (it now displays the previous message since the latest one is gone). The message might appear and disappear again randomly.

This happened to both me (as the buyer) and the seller throughout our convo.

Have anyone encountered the same issue?

same here re PM sending

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 10
  Try clearing your cache and cookies, then restart your browser.

If it's still an issue, please let me know.

I did this and still the messages are still randomly appearing/disappearing at very long intervals. Once a message show up it will stay there for days or even a week or so, but then it disappeared for roughly the same duration. According to the seller during our convo, this issue applies to Chrome mobile as well. I am not using Chrome on my phone so I dont really know but yeah.

So for now I have to use IE to open head fi. The only other use of IE other than to download Chrome.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #5 of 10
Here's a repost from another thread, that might help:

Just to make sure we cover all the bases, try clearing the cache and cookies on each device and shut down the browser after you do.Then move on to the next device.  Once you have them all cleared and shut down, try starting them back up.

I'm not sure if you're using Chrome Sync, but I want to make sure the cached data isn't just bouncing from device to device.  (I actually had a sync bookmark issue a couple of weeks ago where I was deleting the same bookmarks from my bookmark toolbar every day for over a week. I want to make sure this isn't a similar issue.)

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 10
Yea I've tried clearing my cache and cookies to no avail. I'm not using chrome sync either. I have essentially been reduced to using internet explorer, and I hate myself a little for it. I've betrayed the internets.

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 10
This isn't a chrome issue. Its a head-fi universal issue. Chrome, FF and Opera all share the same problem. I haven't tested IE nor do I plan too. 

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 10
  Same problem for me. I have to check my "Sent" folder to see new messages.

Moreover, the classifieds in the For Sale forums seem to be frozen.

@Benjamin6264 - I'm having trouble replicating this issue.  Would you be able to use a screen capture program like Jing (http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html) to capture your screen to show that you have to go to the Sent folder for new messages?  This would allow us to show the tech team exactly what you're seeing.  Could you also provide me with a screenshot of the frozen For Sale forums?  I'm not able to replicate that issue either.

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 10
I've had the same problem, so far with Chrome, where I read all the messages in my inbox and then went back later to find them all unread. It seems to be a caching problem, though whether on Chrome's end or not I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back