Christmas Time! WAYLTFC?
Dec 1, 2002 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Audio Redneck

Spaceman Spiff
What Are You Listening To For Christmas?!

Yes boys and girls, its that time of year again! Wrapping paper, long lines, pushy Grandma's, and EGG NOOOGGGGG!!!!
biggrin.gif
(followed by proportional amounts of gastro intestinal discomfort - pass the Pepto-Bismol). Just got finished the hangin' the lights, yesterday, and pulling out the Christmas CDs and albums! So for the next 30 days, heres whats in heavy rotation:

1. Michael W. Smith Christmas Time - Somewhere between traditional (chamber music) and light Jazz

2. Point of Grace A Christmas Story
(as a side note, I'm going to a Christmas concert of the above two this week)

3. Canadian Brass The Christmas Album - I just love their 12days/songs of Christmas

4. An 18th Century Chritmas Concert - Music by Corelli, Bach Haydn, & Torelli. This has my favorite recording of the Toy Symphony by Haydn(or L. Mozart) - Vangard Everyman Classics

5. Amy Grant A Christmas To Remember - the 3rd of Amy's Christmas albums (yes, I have all three....well, my wife does - she's really the Amy fan, but I like this one, too.)

6. Gregorian Chant Third Christmas Mass - I developed a taste for Gregorian Chants in college. This DG issue is from a 1960 recording of the Monk's Chior of the Benedictine Abbey of St. Martin, Beuron.

There'll be several others play as well, and I'm sure I'll also pull out some Elmo & Patsy Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer and Wierd Al Christmas At Ground Zero just to have some fun with Mrs. Redneck
evil_smiley.gif
(if she ever finds out I call her that...
eek.gif
)

So, for the next few weeks, WAYLTFC?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 19
Dec 1, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 19
Right now I'm listening :

Ein Weihnachtskonzert, music by Gabrielli, Corelli, Scheidt, Manfredini, Torelli, Eccard, Locatelli and Gruber, berliner philarmoniker directed by Karajan.

otherwise the night of Christmas, always the Orthodox Christmas Mass by the Choirs of Kiev before to go at the Midnight Mass in gregorian at the nearest abbey.

Dec 2, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
I can't wait to see what grinch is listening to!!!

00140731.jpg

actually, i've been wanting to buy some christmas music. while growing up, my parents would always load the 6-cd changer up with a bunch of christmas cds and let it play random for about a month. now i find myself moved away from those cds and i really just don't have much christmas music that i like. i need the andy williams christmas cd or something heh.

actually, i dig charlotte church's christmas album (from last year) as well as jewel's christmas album. now i just have to find them..

Dec 3, 2002 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
00140731.jpg

actually, i've been wanting to buy some christmas music. while growing up, my parents would always load the 6-cd changer up with a bunch of christmas cds and let it play random for about a month.

6-cd changer? man, when i was growing up my parents would put "amal and the night visitors", "messiah", etc., on the RECORD CHANGER! remember those? you stack 5 records on the long spindle and they drop down on the tt. gawd you make me feel old.

Dec 3, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
while growing up, my parents would always load the 6-cd changer up with a bunch of christmas cds and let it play random for about a month.

That's one reason why people become mass murderers i think.

I worked in this damn music dept for a retail store...i hate xmas music.

Dec 3, 2002 at 8:21 AM Post #9 of 19
One of my favorites growing up was Nat King Cole's Christmas CD. This is because it would be on every single Christmas at my house... something about a good crooner singing a good Christmas song is just... magical.

Dec 3, 2002 at 8:24 AM Post #10 of 19
BTW:

Has anyone else noticed a trend towards radio stations playing all X-mas music, all the time? I was in Chicago recently, and one of the stations there started doing it on the Friday following Thanksgiving... supposedly keeping the x-mas song rotation up until Jeebus' bithday. I suppose that is fine for the listener... but the DJ's at that station are going to go in insane... and as gloco mentioned, will probably become mass murderers.

Dec 3, 2002 at 8:33 AM Post #11 of 19
It just woudln't be Christmas without Mannheim Steamroller!!! Every single year my dad would play it on repeat while we opened gifts. To this day it still reminds me of Christmas at home when I hear their music.

Dec 3, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
6-cd changer? man, when i was growing up my parents would put "amal and the night visitors", "messiah", etc., on the RECORD CHANGER! remember those? you stack 5 records on the long spindle and they drop down on the tt. gawd you make me feel old.

don't feel old. my dad had a cd player in 1984 and probably got the 6-cd in '88 or so. i think i got my first cd at christmas when i was only six or seven. i've just had cds around me since i was very young. never had a turntable in the house though (not that i remember anyway).
frown.gif

Dec 4, 2002 at 4:12 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter

Ditto. I have several of the Firestone and Goodyear Christmas albums. My folks had a Sears record changer with an 8-track.

Dec 4, 2002 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
BTW:

Has anyone else noticed a trend towards radio stations playing all X-mas music, all the time? I was in Chicago recently, and one of the stations there started doing it on the Friday following Thanksgiving... supposedly keeping the x-mas song rotation up until Jeebus' bithday. I suppose that is fine for the listener... but the DJ's at that station are going to go in insane... and as gloco mentioned, will probably become mass murderers.

If its like our local "Adult Standards" station (read: elevator music ) the music can be programmed into the computer and the DJ never has to listen to it. They can record the news & weather and just "insert" it at a set time and "Clyde" the computer does the rest. That station only has a real DJ there from 6-12 anyway - the rest of the time its a satellite feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back