Christmas Music! =)
Nov 24, 2008 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Fud

100+ Head-Fier
I'm already enjoying what will most definitely be my holiday soundtrack this season. Its a collection of female singer/songwriters from The Hotel Cafe, and they mostly sing Christmas classics. Some of the songs are original, and some are rearranged but I'm liking this album more and more every time I listen to it.

Any other recommendations for holiday music?

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 31
21E18C6GQEL._SL500_AA130_.jpg

John Fahey

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 31
2004-allison-crowe.jpg

Allison Crowe- Tidings
Sends shivers down my spine

bbkingachristmascelebrakl4.jpg

B.B. King- Christmas Celebration of Hope

Edit:
also
Christmas with the Chipmunks
chipmunks.jpg

My Dad has this on vinyl somewhere, and it always bring backs good memories from childhood.

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 31
Spinal Tap - "Christmas with the Devil"

Quote:

The elves are dressed in leather
And the angels are in chains
(Christmas with the Devil)

The sugar plums are rancid
And the stockings are in flames

There's a demon in my belly
And a gremlin in my brain
There's someone up the chimney hole
And Satan is his name!

The rats ate all the presents
And the reindeer ran away

There'll be no Father Christmas
'Cause it's Evil's holiday

No bells in Hell
No snow below
Silent Night, Violent Night!

So come all ye unfaithful
Don't be left out in the cold
You don't need no invitation, no...
Your ticket is your soul.

Nov 24, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 31
Handel for sure, A Charlie Brown Christmas is next on my list. Oscar Peterson has a great album out there. Loreena McKennitt just released a wonderfully sublime work, as did Enya, but I don't really like Enya. My wife on the other hand highly recommends it.

The grand works of Bing are always welcomed in my house, throw in some Canadian Brass and some Barenaked Ladies and Hi-5 for the kids and that about wraps it up. Oh, and the Chipmunks of course
smily_headphones1.gif

When I get home I'll post a whole slew of stuff I regularly try to slip in between those staples in my house. The Trans-Siberian Orchestra for example! GREAT music.

Nov 25, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 31
It's really quite good, I ordered it at London Drugs. Just ask them to order it in for you, they won't have it in store.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chingyul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fud, where'd you get that Hotel Cafe album? Sounds like something I would like.

Sufan Steven's Christmas collection is quite good.

Nov 25, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #11 of 31
Aimee Mann - One More Drifter in the Snow

One of my favorite Christmas albums is one that a local radio station sent me for free. It has several tracks recorded by various artists at the station.

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #14 of 31
Go see Trans Siberian Orchestra. Great show. High energy and super voices. If you don't get in the season, check into the hospital.

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #15 of 31
This is one of my favorite thread topics, so I won't be a Grinch and say, "Use the search feature!" Instead, I've done it for you. Lots of great suggestions in the annual threads from the recent past, including (if I don't mind saying so myself) the many albums that I've recommended and rated:

2007 http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/fav...-album-267856/

2006 http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/chr...thread-203863/

2005 Can't find this one for some reason. I'm sure you'll all live.
wink.gif

2004 http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/aud...s-music-94267/

2003 http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/bes...-wanted-49729/

See generally, and for threads about specific albums or sub-genres that might be of interest: Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Search Results

Note that all of the links in threads that date back before the Great Head-Fi Outage are now useless because we couldn't save the pointers.

I haven't added any new Christmas albums to my collection this year. I've got about 50 or so, and listen to some of them on rare occasion throughout the year. But for the most part just during Santa season which starts next week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back