Chosing Audiophile headphones. Grado 60i,HD 555,AKG K99?
Apr 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bowei006

Panda Man
Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
Im jumping into the audiophile part of the ocean after almost a year. im looking at headphones below $100 and whats caught my eye are the Grado SR-60i's or 80i's the Sennheiser HD555,AKG K99 or AKG acoustic K-240. now ive heard good stuff about the K99 and the HD202 and the Grado 60i's which are on the lower spectrum of the price. now how do these compare with each other and what about the big boy 80i's HD555 and the Acoustic K-240's. yes i get the whole open and closed thing and i like my music,loud,clear, good thunderous bass if possible(closed phones. yes i know but maybe the 555 will deliver?) and when listening i like FLAC's so which one will do? Thank you

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 10
portability not soo soo much but i want full sound quality. i like rock,hip hop,rap, pop for example all the way from disturbed,some SLipknot, linkin park,rise against,sixx am,rev theory to lady gaga,katy perry, eminem ,rihana and etc the whole modern specturm minus country and super loud death metal stuff. should i also get an AMP? i have a set of Logitech z623 speakers and it has a regular speaker amp. would that work or should i try to plug it dirrectly into the computer..a full foot and a half away
i also have an ipod touch 2G which has 5mw of power which i might use for ti sometimes also.

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 10
Hmm..the headphones you posted may not be suitable for the genres you listed IMO. The grados are good with rock..but doesn't have enough bass. The 555's have a nice soundstage but bass is weak as well. 

Take a look at the Shure SRH440's. Their bass level is decent (not bassy, or weak)

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 10
yeah i looked at some reviews for the shure 440 and the genre's its good for are my genres. good bass and its better than the grado 80i's looking pretty good. now since im moving into the higher zone. im now wondering about the HD555. ive heard many great things about sennheiser. but im guessing these shure's are better? oo and are bose considered audiophile? what about beats not like im gonna buy any of that overpriced stuff

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 10
I love my Sr-60is, I don't think you could go wrong with those.........You may also be able to find a pair of ATH-M50s for right around 100, which would have more bass......

Oh, and I would avoid bose and beats if I were you, you can do a lot better for the price.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back