Chord QuteHD DAC - 'Pulse-Array' Teconology Discusion Thread
Jun 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #16 of 66
I don't know much ("much," in this context, being synonymous with "a solitary darn thing") about the technical end of it, but I've always wanted to hear the Chord DACs. They don't seem to get much press in the US, but a British speaker forum I sometimes visit seems to generally consider them among the very best DACs in the world (with the Resonessence Invicta a popular contender). I think the whole building-your-own-FPGA thing is pretty interesting, and seems to be happening a bit more often from some of the TOTL companies. 

Anyway, I'd be more than a little interested to hear more about these... They seem highly interesting at the very least. (Who else puts Bluetooth on a truly hifi bit of kit? Piqued my curiousity for sure...)

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #17 of 66
Quote:
I suspect some devices or computer software is better or worse playing back different file types. When I had the DX100, it sounded great playing back FLAC and awful playing back ALAC. Crazy, but I had assumed there'd be no difference. With high-res files, I think now the primary thing is that you end up bypassing some of the built-in over-sampling in a regular DAC, which may or may not be the reason for any differences. However, some vinyl rips I've heard of good albums have been way better-sounding to me than the regular CD, to the point that at least one album I didn't like I enjoy listening to now. It's definitely a quagmire!

QFT!!

Gets even more confusing when the hardware (PMP, amp and headphones) are the same, the files are the same, but your software player is different (on Android, Neutron vs Poweramp is a great example)...

I guess, to pull this post back on track, I need to ask - at which point is the original signal most affected by things further up the chain, at the file (so the original rips are the decisive part), at the software decode, the hardware (internal DAC), the external DAC, or - the cable connecting the player to the DAC...

I personally cannot hear any difference (or, if it isn't placebo, then maybe a slightly richer tone on some instruments when running coax) between digital connections (coax and SPDIF), so - to me, it isn't at that point in the chain.........

Jun 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #18 of 66
Quote:
Archive.org has a music section too. Someone pointed out a Cowboy Junkies live album (Live at the Ark) mastered for headphone use there. It's pretty good. 

that's a band that I love to hate... the exceptional Trinity Sessions recorded in a church brings back memories of the earthly echo'ish sound I enjoyed when I was a choirboy (stop laughing)... the sounds between the tracks gives the album a realistic believability that if you were to close your eyes, you'd be there... I'll definitely head off to the site you recommended soon.

expect a pm off me, I need to ask a few questions (it's all good).

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #19 of 66
Quote:

Duncan... it's driving me nuts, What is 'QFT' is it some SNAFU situation or am I being OTT... SWALK in advance of any RSVP. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #20 of 66
What!?  Whats all these random letters then? ....new Enigma code of head-fi? 

This may be ignorant question but with this upsampling topic are all HD tracks available actually mastered in the full bit rate or are there essentially a lot of HD - remasters out there that may be hit or miss to start with in the quality if not executed properly as I would of thought if it was a remaster to start with how does it all work when it goes through the actual dac hardware in terms of processing what information is feed to it if just essentially a remaster album?  

If that was confusing I can not help you as I can not help myself
size]

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #21 of 66
Remastering is subjective,,, I consider a re-master to be done from the original recording preferably by the original engineer & a band member... Van Morrison remastered his back catalogue the other year (except for Astral Weeks), Porcupine Tree remastered 'Up the Downstair' by swapping electronic drums to the real thing (that made a massive change) & Pink Floyd chuck out new remasters of the remaster every few years.

my understanding is however it was recorded is how it should be left, upsampling dilutes the signal via pc software(?) making it more 'airy' so appearing more detailed but with less body(?)... this is all a bit confusing in truth, I don't think I got things right. 

something I'd like to see is a vinyl-rip of Astral Weeks as I've never heard a decent copy of the album via cd (it sounds crap), the vinyl version is so much better... that said Astral Weeks 'live at the Hollywood Bowl' is a absolute stormer of a album & the production is top notch.

I know the likes of Linn & Naim push out HD/Hi-Res recordings that were actually recorded that way though most are genre specific, if you not into classical, jazz or the depressing drivel of their own signed artist your hardly going to make a switch & get rid of your cd collection.

talking of drivel... I ain't got a clue what all this malarkey is about, I'm just surmising.  

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #22 of 66
Quote:
No worries. 

Archive.org has a music section too. Someone pointed out a Cowboy Junkies live album (Live at the Ark) mastered for headphone use there. It's pretty good. 

Finding a good combination of gear can be pretty tricky. Technically excellent gear can be detailed but unexciting. "Musical"-sounding gear can be the other way around. Some of the recent portable DACs such as the CLAS and USB-powered devices are very good. I'm awaiting the Centrance M8 to how it fares.  For transportable duty I'm using a modded AK100  with IEMs and a Pico Power connected to that with my Grado-like Magnums.

I suspect some devices or computer software is better or worse playing back different file types. When I had the DX100, it sounded great playing back FLAC and awful playing back ALAC. Crazy, but I had assumed there'd be no difference. With high-res files, I think now the primary thing is that you end up bypassing some of the built-in over-sampling in a regular DAC, which may or may not be the reason for any differences. However, some vinyl rips I've heard of good albums have been way better-sounding to me than the regular CD, to the point that at least one album I didn't like I enjoy listening to now. It's definitely a quagmire!

Good call on Live At The Ark. Curiousity do you find Margo's voice to be coming from slightly right of centre?

The software decoding and playback cycles can make massive differences in audio software. They are certainly not all created equal.Simply put anything you can do in a full blown editing suite can be done either intentionally or unintentionally through a straight player. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 66
Jun 24, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #24 of 66
Chord Update:-

I spoke to Chord today and they will be commenting & replying to post at some point soon... unfortunately they have staff holidays to deal with & people away on business trips so be patient and we will be rewarded.

Jun 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #25 of 66
Excellent!! Interested to hear what they have to say... Wonder if we could get a demo unit (of the QuteHD or something else) to Project86 and/or InnerFidelity for a comparative review with some of the other DACs currently on the market? There seems to be a dearth of feedback on Chord stuff around here for some reason. 

Jun 30, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #28 of 66
Remastering is subjective,,, I consider a re-master to be done from the original recording preferably by the original engineer & a band member... Van Morrison remastered his back catalogue the other year (except for Astral Weeks), Porcupine Tree remastered 'Up the Downstair' by swapping electronic drums to the real thing (that made a massive change) & Pink Floyd chuck out new remasters of the remaster every few years.

my understanding is however it was recorded is how it should be left, upsampling dilutes the signal via pc software(?) making it more 'airy' so appearing more detailed but with less body(?)... this is all a bit confusing in truth, I don't think I got things right. 

something I'd like to see is a vinyl-rip of Astral Weeks as I've never heard a decent copy of the album via cd (it sounds crap), the vinyl version is so much better... that said Astral Weeks 'live at the Hollywood Bowl' is a absolute stormer of a album & the production is top notch.

I know the likes of Linn & Naim push out HD/Hi-Res recordings that were actually recorded that way though most are genre specific, if you not into classical, jazz or the depressing drivel of their own signed artist your hardly going to make a switch & get rid of your cd collection.

talking of drivel... I ain't got a clue what all this malarkey is about, I'm just surmising.  

Its amazing how many remasters are poorly executed negating all the time and effort of doing a remaster to start with.

One remaster that sticks out for me as been worth while was Fleetwood mac - rumours and dire straits self titled first album as well as their brothers in arms on sacd.

it's the end of the month so they're pretty busy by all accounts, they will contribute for sure.

Will be interesting as to whether this model is or not but chord do not use the traditional method of buying the standard chips every other company use but instead chord build around a circuit board of their own and is all software tweaked from there so would be interesting to hear chord on the benefits the design process they implement has to other conventional dacs.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #30 of 66
True, should not be surprised really, there are some albums that desperately need to be remastered and some are done really well but the ethos does seem to be from the big labels of, lets milk it for what we can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back