Chord Mojo vs Schiit Birfrost Multibit? Which one is better?
Jul 29, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #61 of 75
Mojo dac> jotunheim dac, haven't heard bifrost.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #62 of 75
Now that I have owned the Mojo and Modi Multibit twice, I can say that I think the Mojo is more accurate in every way. (And, as far as I can tell, it measures better in every way as well.) Why am I mentioning the Modi Multibit in a thread about how the Bifrost Multibit compares? Because the only difference is the power supply. (And ability to upgrade the Bifrost Multibit in the future.)

Jul 29, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #63 of 75
Now that I have owned the Mojo and Modi Multibit twice, I can say that I think the Mojo is more accurate in every way. (And, as far as I can tell, it measures better in every way as well.) Why am I mentioning the Modi Multibit in a thread about how the Bifrost Multibit compares? Because the only difference is the power supply. (And ability to upgrade the Bifrost Multibit in the future.)
Could you upgrade Modi to Bifrost? I didn't aware of that coz that are 2 different chassis and design.
As for Bifrost Multibit, it blew the Mojo, sounds more realistic, offers more features and more importantly future proof. The only downsize of it is the size. Transportable but not pocketable

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #64 of 75
Could you upgrade Modi to Bifrost? I didn't aware of that coz that are 2 different chassis and design.
As for Bifrost Multibit, it blew the Mojo, sounds more realistic, offers more features and more importantly future proof. The only downsize of it is the size. Transportable but not pocketable

I meant that the Bifrost Multibit has modular upgradeability, whereas the Modi Multibit does not.

Many say the Bifrost Multibit and Modi Multibit sound about the same. With my studio speakers, the Mojo sounds far more realistic to me than the Modi Multibit in every way. I guess opinions will differ based on preference, but from the hours of research I've done, it would appear that the Mojo measures better in every area too. (Timing accuracy, dynamic range, zero noise floor modulation, noise shaping, distortion, etc.)

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #65 of 75
I meant that the Bifrost Multibit has modular upgradeability, whereas the Modi Multibit does not.

Many say the Bifrost Multibit and Modi Multibit sound about the same. With my studio speakers, the Mojo sounds far more realistic to me than the Modi Multibit in every way. I guess opinions will differ based on preference, but from the hours of research I've done, it would appear that the Mojo measures better in every area too. (Timing accuracy, dynamic range, zero noise floor modulation, noise shaping, distortion, etc.)
And someone said A/B testing that SE on Bimby is identical that of Gumby on SE....Can't really trust someone until you try it out. I have a vanilla bifrost, not multibit nor uber. It has stood the test of time during my 2nd time owning Mojo with the Mojo sold afterward. The only thing good about Mojo is its mid; Otherwise, it fell short overall in every area compared to my Bifrost.

Mojo SE is close to Balance on DPX1 a near high end entry dap which I owned (now it has gone to mid-fi). The dap was more versatile and sound a bit more detailed thats why Mojo was sold, I like the pairing between the two just a different flavor but not an upgrade. When I got Mojo 2nd time in a trade, it was then compared with my QP1R and it failed hard...WM1A later on balance blew everything of QP1R except its current amp..

I don't trust measurement, buddy. Just like someone else kept using that to argue there would be no change of sound in higher quality cables. Hated that also when someone was arguing QP1R's amp section wasn't good enough compared to WM1Z on paper , on measurement but in fact, it beats the heck out of that 1z in practicality.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #66 of 75
And someone said A/B testing that SE on Bimby is identical that of Gumby on SE....Can't really trust someone until you try it out. I have a vanilla bifrost, not multibit nor uber. It has stood the test of time during my 2nd time owning Mojo with the Mojo sold afterward. The only thing good about Mojo is its mid; Otherwise, it fell short overall in every area compared to my Bifrost.

Mojo SE is close to Balance on DPX1 a near high end entry dap which I owned (now it has gone to mid-fi). The dap was more versatile and sound a bit more detailed thats why Mojo was sold, I like the pairing between the two just a different flavor but not an upgrade. When I got Mojo 2nd time in a trade, it was then compared with my QP1R and it failed hard...WM1A later on balance blew everything of QP1R except its current amp..

I don't trust measurement, buddy. Just like someone else kept using that to argue there would be no change of sound in higher quality cables. Hated that also when someone was arguing QP1R's amp section wasn't good enough compared to WM1Z on paper , on measurement but in fact, it beats the heck out of that 1z in practicality.

I compared them as DACs only (not driving headphones) connected to powered speakers. So perhaps there was an issue with the headphone synergy in your case.

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #67 of 75
I compared them as DACs only (not driving headphones) connected to powered speakers. So perhaps there was an issue with the headphone synergy in your case.
But ...you was a comparing a modi while I was using a bifrost so there is no point commenting on bifrost unless you have heard it. The modi as far as I know is as good as Bifrost. My headphone is HD800SD and I'm pretty sure it's source surgeon.

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #68 of 75
But ...you was a comparing a modi while I was using a bifrost so there is no point commenting on bifrost unless you have heard it. The modi as far as I know is as good as Bifrost. My headphone is HD800SD and I'm pretty sure it's source surgeon.

I already mentioned that the Modi Multibit and Bifrost Multibit are the same aside from the power supply. And general consensus is that the multibit versions are better than the standard ones. (The Modi Multibit sounds a lot better than the Modi 2.)

Did you use the same external amp to compare the two DACs?

I've driven the HD 800 from the Mojo. Personally I'm not a fan of that headphone, no matter how much EQ it's given or how expensive the equipment is that you use with it. I've used it on systems that cost thousands and it barely sounded different than with the Mojo. In my experience, it's easier to compare DACs with speakers.

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #69 of 75
Sound is always subject so for OP, just test them both and decide which you prefer. IMO, if the OP likes both, keep both like I do.

For me, I don't take the purist approach but the sound that I prefer. Both DACs sound less exciting without tubes to me, but I like the way Mojo makes my car audio better sounding through AUX. I can't do that with the Bifrost Multibit of course and that's why it's my primary DAC for computer audio. I just like Schiit's "live sound" (doesn't matter whether that's accurate sound or not for me) more than Mojo's smoother sound to my speakers (It makes me think Mojo is less resolving than Bifrost Multibit to my ears).

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #70 of 75
I just like Schiit's "live sound" (doesn't matter whether that's accurate sound or not for me) more than Mojo's smoother sound to my speakers (It makes me think Mojo is less resolving than Bifrost Multibit to my ears).

The smoothness comes from (far) less timing errors, lack of noise floor modulation, and noise shaping. These errors give many other DACs a harder, harsher, brighter presentation that is less true to the recording. So, if I'm assessing the available information properly, it's because it's more resolving, not less. Subjectively, I think the Mojo has better detail; just in an unforced, natural way. I'll also mention that, as a musician with decades of experience, my primary reference is live sound.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #71 of 75
I already mentioned that the Modi Multibit and Bifrost Multibit are the same aside from the power supply. And general consensus is that the multibit versions are better than the standard ones. (The Modi Multibit sounds a lot better than the Modi 2.)

Did you use the same external amp to compare the two DACs?

I've driven the HD 800 from the Mojo. Personally I'm not a fan of that headphone, no matter how much EQ it's given or how expensive the equipment is that you use with it. I've used it on systems that cost thousands and it barely sounded different than with the Mojo. In my experience, it's easier to compare DACs with speakers.
I did. Not sure which system you were mentioning. HD800 changes significantly if you feed it well. Go get yourself either Gumby/mj2 or Yiggy and see the night and day differences

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #72 of 75
I did. Not sure which system you were mentioning. HD800 changed significantly if you feed it well. Go get yourself either Gumby/mj2 or Yiggy and see the night and day differences

The 430HAD ($4,300 and outputs up to 8 watts at 50 ohms) is the most expensive DAC/amp I've driven it with. Sounded almost the same as the Mojo with the HD 800.

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #73 of 75
The 430HAD ($4,300 and outputs up to 8 watts at 50 ohms) is the most expensive DAC/amp I've driven it with. Sounded almost the same as the Mojo with the HD 800.
the price is not always justified for the performance and you suggest this is the world best dac? Yiggy can compete with some at 40-50k , there are few of them in the world so the price is not always the only measurement point.

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #74 of 75
the price is not always justified for the performance and you suggest this is the world best dac? Yiggy can compete with some at 40-50k , there are few of them in the world so the price is not always the only measurement point.

I never suggested anything like that. Chord has much more expensive models, you know. But for the record, there are plenty of people who think any Chord DAC (but especially the DAVE) outperforms the most expensive DACs in the five to six figure range. Check out this post for one of countless examples.

But my point about the 430HAD was that the HD 800 does not scale from exotic solid state amps nearly as much as people claim it does.

As for the DAC in the 430HAD, I know at least one person (an Abyss owner) who got rid of the Yggdrasil because he didn't hear an improvement with it compared to the 430HAD. (If you meant to imply that the Yggdrasil is significantly better than the DAC in the 430HAD.)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #75 of 75
I did. Not sure which system you were mentioning. HD800 changes significantly if you feed it well. Go get yourself either Gumby/mj2 or Yiggy and see the night and day differences

Agreed, Yggy>>>Darkstar>>>HD800 is a thing of pure beauty. Those who say it doesn't scale, have never heard it scale with synergetic gear. There are countless folks on here that would agree with me!

*wish I could give your post a double like!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back