Chord Mojo VS Dap for IEM's
Mar 23, 2019 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Oceiros

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm rather new here but I was getting my first set of in ear monitors which are going to be the Campfire audio Vegas, and in a few weeks my A12T

I already have the Chord Mojo I am rather enjoying, but it seems to drain the battery on my phone pretty quickly.

I mostly work at a desk job, and it's pretty easy for me to carry around the chord Mojo I just don't like that it takes up the USB type C slot on my phone for the charger as well, and drains my battery quickly.

Would a DAP be more preferable for my situation maybe? If so what are some good DAP brands?

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 16
Why not buy a portable battery.

I take an Anker 20100mah usb battery with me when I go out with my Mojo & Poly.

That way you can keep mojo charged via the battery, but just streaming from your phone.

That battery is roughly 6-8 inches long and 2 wide and is excellent for a portable power station.

No Dap will sound better than mojo, in my opinion you’re better off sticking to your mojo.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 16
Ok, another idea.

Buy a cheap chromecast audio $15 and a battery, plug the battery into mojo, and use an optical cable to go from the chromecast audio to mojo, then you can wirelessly stream from your phone to the chromecast audio and that will leave your usb c port free for charging.

All in, $50.

I do that with my hugo 2 in bed, actually using that setup now as I type this.

The anker powercore 20100 micro usb and usb A version can power the chromecast audio for days before needing to be recharged.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 16
Ok, another idea.

Buy a cheap chromecast audio $15 and a battery, plug the battery into mojo, and use an optical cable to go from the chromecast audio to mojo, then you can wirelessly stream from your phone to the chromecast audio and that will leave your usb c port free for charging.

All in, $50.

That sounds very interesting.
I might give that a try, but I hope Audio quality wouldn't take a big hit from that

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 16
That sounds very interesting.
I might give that a try, but I hope Audio quality wouldn't take a big hit from that

It can do upto 96khz, but there is a bug that google is working on, but anything below 96khz works perfectly, 99.9% of the time you will probably be listening to 44.1khz tracks, so it shouldn’t really affect you that much, especially when using a phone.

The sound quality is excellent, I just bought a second one and it arrived yesterday so that I could use my hugo 2 inbed instead of mojo & poly.

The more expensive option is to buy the chord poly addon module for mojo. That brings wireless capabilities, sd card etc, don’t believe most of the posts about it being crap, it’s not and a huge new update is away to fix everything.

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 16
Unfortunately with the price of the poly I'd rather go the cheaper route as things are now.

I'll give that a try, but yeah you're right as most of the time I use Spotify to listen to tracks normally, and get FLAC tracks whenever I can.

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 16
Unfortunately with the price of the poly I'd rather go the cheaper route as things are now.

I'll give that a try, but yeah you're right as most of the time I use Spotify to listen to tracks normally, and get FLAC tracks whenever I can.

The chromecast audio and a battery and a small toslink mini cable is all you need. The optical cable should look like a normal optical cable connection on one end and the other end is the same size as the 3.5mm headphone jacks.

This is the one I use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SWYU92U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 16
Mar 23, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 16
No probs, if I was in your position, thats what I would do, plus you get the benefits of the optical cable being the best cleanest way to connect to mojo. No interference like what happens with usb cables.

It will probably sound superior to what your using now.

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 16
No probs, if I was in your position, thats what I would do, plus you get the benefits of the optical cable being the best cleanest way to connect to mojo. No interference like what happens with usb cables.

It will probably sound superior to what your using now.

Is there a reason why I should choose Toslink optical to mini toslink compared to just a toslink optical cable and go from optical to the Chromecast to the optical on the chord Mojo?

Mar 23, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #14 of 16
The cable i showed you, the long end is needed for the chromecast audio. The long end plugs into the chromecast and the other normal end plugs into mojo, without the long end, it won’t work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back