Chord mojo partner
Aug 8, 2018 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

michaelwheeldon

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a few suggestions for a partner for a chord mojo DAC, at the moment I'm using a Sony xperia z3 compact through it's USB digital out with the hiby music app.
This combo replaced a astell & Kern ak120 titan only because I couldn't heard any difference between the two and couldn't justify having such an expensive player.
Not sure if it was a case of the Sony been good or the astell & Kern been over priced for what it offers.
Just wondering if anyone has used different hi resolution players to good affect with a chord mojo.
Preferably something with a decent size touch screen.
I mainly use it in a home system connected to a headphone amp so portability isn't really an issue.

Aug 25, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 7
Michael... it shouldn't really matter what the 'source' is as it's the Mojo that produces the goods via its DAC &Amp... I used to feed my Hugo (think Mojo) mainly with my Walkman ZX1 then ZX2 and my Sister's Samsung phone, there was no discernible difference to my ears, same when using a pc/laptop.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 7
I previously used to take the view that the source probably made no difference, until i actually noticed a difference when i wasn't expecting to hear one. I used to use my mojo mainly with a sony z3+, and occassionally with an 6th gen ipod touch. It was while swapping between the z3 and the ipod, due to the battery running low, that I noticed the change in sound in the song I was listening to. I was not testing both sources looking for a difference.

I heard a noticeable difference between the two sources. The z3 as a source sounded warmer than the ipod, which is my prefered sound and which is why I immediately noticed the difference to the ipod. It may be the z3 added some inteference to the signal, which is why it sounded different? I think this is one of the those subjects that divides opnion!

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Since starting this thread I've changed the USB cable linking said devices twice.
Generic USB to audioquest pearl, noticeable difference in detail.
Then from audioquest pearl to carbon with yet more very noticeable difference in treble detail between it and the pearl.
Considering digital data is 1s and 0s this surely shouldn't happen no matter how much silver is in the cables.
So going on the source shouldn't make a difference has anyone found a source unit for the chord mojo which does.

Aug 25, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 7
I use a shanling m0 with the mojo and it sounds great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back