Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 27, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #42,091 of 42,759
Nov 28, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #42,092 of 42,759
I haven't used the optical input on the Mojo since I got it, I'm having a Macbook Pro 13" mid 2014 and a DPX1A, are these pairable with the Mojo via optical? Thanks
I have a MBP 15 from the same period and it has optical out through the 3,5mm jack.
Comparing the outputs, Toslink sounds a touch smoother and has a darker background compared to USB out, but the MBP seems to have a pretty clean USB signal, clearly better than a windows laptop I used for comparison.

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #42,093 of 42,759
I have a MBP 15 from the same period and it has optical out through the 3,5mm jack.
Comparing the outputs, Toslink sounds a touch smoother and has a darker background compared to USB out, but the MBP seems to have a pretty clean USB signal, clearly better than a windows laptop I used for comparison.
I believe your MacBook Pro supports mini toslink via the headphone output. Here’s how you can verify: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/46605/how-do-i-tell-if-my-mac-supports-mini-toslink
Thanks, guys. Looks like I have to bring a new cable to my collection.

Nov 30, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #42,094 of 42,759
If anybody needs a genuine New Chord Battery for your Mojo, I have one.
See this.
Chord installed one on a mojo I sent for repair, but I already had one waiting at home, so I don't need it.
You will get the one Chord has installed, once it arrives (this week).
Priced at cost price.

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #42,096 of 42,759
I would love to find out about any other possible batteries. I removed my old one to use the Chord in desktop mode. I then ordered a usb to dual micro usb cable from Ali express not expecting it to work. A few weeks later, I finally got it and it is awesome. See pic below. Lowest electrical noise ever (in combo with a usb a to c cable from ifi) and I absolutely love it with my IE900.

Attachments

• 7EF29810-23EE-4F65-9ADB-C1477709D8B9.jpeg
    7EF29810-23EE-4F65-9ADB-C1477709D8B9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 8, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #42,097 of 42,759
Nevermind - popped off my micro USB port with this approach. Have a cool looking chord paperweight now.

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #42,100 of 42,759
Nevermind - popped off my micro USB port with this approach. Have a cool looking chord paperweight now.
Use it other connection options optical

Dec 9, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #42,101 of 42,759
I had a problem with the usb sockets (mojo 3.5 years old) and chord uk fixed it including return postage for £50 - good as new.

d
What kind of problem with your usb sockets? Mechanical or electrical?

Dec 14, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #42,102 of 42,759
This is an over-flow from Focal Clear Headphones.
A little background:
A while ago I managed to get a pair of Focal Clear's at a reasonable price (new they are £1k+), I eagerly plugged them into my trusted Mojo, and hey presto . . .
They Sucked!
Well maybe not suck, but failed to impress and at that price I call it Suck. To cut the long story short, the Focal Clear Fan Club (afore mentioned thread) had a go at me, that your Mojo is not good enough for such a beast, that I would need a Hugo2 at least (or better!) for these phones. And when a trusted member, said that although Mojo is good, I really need a Hugo2 to make the Clears sing.
What did I do? I got myself a Hugo2!
Got it today and eagerly plugged things in . . .
- Hugo2 is good, specially on orchestral Classical. Separation of instruments, 3D sound, 3D bass that goes deep and wide, indeed everything goes wide, sound stage is really wide. Did it make the Clears sing? yes to some degree, the Focals were too dark on Mojo, on Hugo2 they get their sparkle up.
But ultimately the Clears are still a failure to me! because of the price! if they were £400/500 I would not have grumbled, but ultimate sound quality, even on Hugo2 is not good enough to justify the price.
At this point I had given up on Clears, packed them up for re-sale soon.
So I got my current favourite headphones out (Sundara) to check the Hugo2 out.
Sundaras were better than Clears, better sound stage, more open sound - much less shouty than the Clears, bass in a different league, blah blah.
But you know something! on non-classical music Mojo can sound so wonderful against Hugo2!
Sometimes even preferable - I am not saying better, but preferable.
Mojo can sound more intimate on vocals. At times, Hugo2 can sound like listening to a very clear Mix off the console, everything is there, but you know it is not live music, it is a Mix!
on Mojo, the same thing can sound like being in a small venue, like a small Jazz club - sound stage is not Stadium size, but Club size, vocals are there in the room,
Mojo sounds like a top class Valve amp (Tube), in contrast Hugo2 is a top class Solid state amp.
All this made me fall in love with my Mojo once again!
With the advent of Mojo2 on the horizon, Chord are gambling big - Mojo2 has very very big shoes to fill.
At over four times the price of the Mojo, on sound quality alone, Hugo2 ain't worth it!
A very big statement, but my impression tonight.

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #42,103 of 42,759
This is an over-flow from Focal Clear Headphones.
A little background:
A while ago I managed to get a pair of Focal Clear's at a reasonable price (new they are £1k+), I eagerly plugged them into my trusted Mojo, and hey presto . . .
They Sucked!
Well maybe not suck, but failed to impress and at that price I call it Suck. To cut the long story short, the Focal Clear Fan Club (afore mentioned thread) had a go at me, that your Mojo is not good enough for such a beast, that I would need a Hugo2 at least (or better!) for these phones. And when a trusted member, said that although Mojo is good, I really need a Hugo2 to make the Clears sing.
What did I do? I got myself a Hugo2!
Got it today and eagerly plugged things in . . .
- Hugo2 is good, specially on orchestral Classical. Separation of instruments, 3D sound, 3D bass that goes deep and wide, indeed everything goes wide, sound stage is really wide. Did it make the Clears sing? yes to some degree, the Focals were too dark on Mojo, on Hugo2 they get their sparkle up.
But ultimately the Clears are still a failure to me! because of the price! if they were £400/500 I would not have grumbled, but ultimate sound quality, even on Hugo2 is not good enough to justify the price.
At this point I had given up on Clears, packed them up for re-sale soon.
So I got my current favourite headphones out (Sundara) to check the Hugo2 out.
Sundaras were better than Clears, better sound stage, more open sound - much less shouty than the Clears, bass in a different league, blah blah.
But you know something! on non-classical music Mojo can sound so wonderful against Hugo2!
Sometimes even preferable - I am not saying better, but preferable.
Mojo can sound more intimate on vocals. At times, Hugo2 can sound like listening to a very clear Mix off the console, everything is there, but you know it is not live music, it is a Mix!
on Mojo, the same thing can sound like being in a small venue, like a small Jazz club - sound stage is not Stadium size, but Club size, vocals are there in the room,
Mojo sounds like a top class Valve amp (Tube), in contrast Hugo2 is a top class Solid state amp.
All this made me fall in love with my Mojo once again!
With the advent of Mojo2 on the horizon, Chord are gambling big - Mojo2 has very very big shoes to fill.
At over four times the price of the Mojo, on sound quality alone, Hugo2 ain't worth it!
A very big statement, but my impression tonight.
I find Mojo preferable to Hugo2. But TT2 preferable to Mojo, in most cases, except when you need portability.

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #42,104 of 42,759
I find Mojo preferable to Hugo2. But TT2 preferable to Mojo, in most cases, except when you need portability.
@jarnopp Exactly. Mojo is a my travel companion while step up for me was TT2 not Hugo 2. For me Mojo sound signature is a lot closer to TT2 than to Hugo 2. Sure, it looses details when comparing with H2 but you can listen it for hours literally, just like TT2. On the other hand TT2 is like 6x - 8x Mojo price so this should not be a surprise. Still I think Mojo has been one of my most important stages in audio world. I'm not sure TT2 gives me so much happiness comparing to first months with Mojo. On the other hand when I first had a chance to listen to TT2 I've been disappointed, as I've been expecting something magical and huuugee step up from Mojo.

Mojo is simply great little dac. Period :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back