Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 19, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #41,926 of 42,765
With you in that but what the Mojo is not is a mobile joy. The SQ saved the day for it because as a portable device is a complete failure
I disagree with that characterization, but I guess it depends on what you want in a mobile device. It’s plenty mobile for me, and works in my use cases where SQ is demanded. It does not work as well - and doesn’t need to for me - where mobile convenience is the priority. I would not trade off SQ or high-end features, like Roon endpoint, for convenience or even longer battery life.

Sep 19, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #41,927 of 42,765
I disagree with that characterization, but I guess it depends on what you want in a mobile device. It’s plenty mobile for me, and works in my use cases where SQ is demanded. It does not work as well - and doesn’t need to for me - where mobile convenience is the priority. I would not trade off SQ or high-end features, like Roon endpoint, for convenience or even longer battery life.
I just wish I could take it with my mobile. That’s all

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #41,928 of 42,765
If Chord made a £600 DAP with Mojo SQ they'd take half the DAP market.

If they made a £400 Mojo with USB-C, 20 hours battery life & a better poly with solid ease of use, they'd take the other half of the DAP market.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #41,929 of 42,765
Hi, been lurking a while, I bought a second hand mojo and loving it. The plan is to replace my Audiolab M-DAC. I can confirm the mojo is better to my ears, I'm getting more detail even on relative budget AKG K550s. Still testing/playing/listening/enjoying :)

I do most of my listening on PC and sofa (they are right next to each other). I listen to headphones a lot. I'm also upgrading from AKG K550 to Beyerdynamic Amiron Home.

I'm testing it through my speakers, at the moment I'm listening mojo > cheap interconnect for testing > Audiolab M-PWR > Dali Sensor 2 speakers. It works, but I think the M-PWR input is 600mvolts so it doesn't need much power from the mojo and its loud. I take it the downside of this setup is that it's so close to the lowest level (and distortion) that I'm not getting the best out of the mojo / M-PWR combo. Does anyone have any suggestions for a power amp with 2V or 3V input? My budget is less than the Chord poweramps as those are £2000 I think :) more like £200.

I read about using attenuators and also read about mixed results with those. I just need to remember to lower the volume before turning the power amp on!!

Older albums tend to but lower volume, so Disintegration needs about 15 presses on volume up (from zero) but something new like Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immediately only needs 10 presses. This might be manageable of course. Any thoughts and advice on this setup greatly appreciated.

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #41,930 of 42,765
Hi, been lurking a while, I bought a second hand mojo and loving it. The plan is to replace my Audiolab M-DAC. I can confirm the mojo is better to my ears, I'm getting more detail even on relative budget AKG K550s. Still testing/playing/listening/enjoying :)

I do most of my listening on PC and sofa (they are right next to each other). I listen to headphones a lot. I'm also upgrading from AKG K550 to Beyerdynamic Amiron Home.

I'm testing it through my speakers, at the moment I'm listening mojo > cheap interconnect for testing > Audiolab M-PWR > Dali Sensor 2 speakers. It works, but I think the M-PWR input is 600mvolts so it doesn't need much power from the mojo and its loud. I take it the downside of this setup is that it's so close to the lowest level (and distortion) that I'm not getting the best out of the mojo / M-PWR combo. Does anyone have any suggestions for a power amp with 2V or 3V input? My budget is less than the Chord poweramps as those are £2000 I think :) more like £200.

I read about using attenuators and also read about mixed results with those. I just need to remember to lower the volume before turning the power amp on!!

Older albums tend to but lower volume, so Disintegration needs about 15 presses on volume up (from zero) but something new like Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immediately only needs 10 presses. This might be manageable of course. Any thoughts and advice on this setup greatly appreciated.
To get closer to 600mV you can start Mojo in Dac mode and press the down volume ball about 10 clicks. I don’t have the exact chart handy, but that should be close.

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #41,931 of 42,765

You don’t need to worry about the SQ with low output settings from Mojo, as long as you feed bit-perfect digital data to the Mojo (100% volume, no oversampling, no EQ) from the PC. The Mojo‘s volume control is done fully digital, lossless.

So just control the volume with the Mojo and you are good!

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #41,932 of 42,765

Just as @surfgeorge has said, there is nothing for you to do.
Just click down the volume on Mojo, connect to RCA inputs, play something, and click up volume for loudness you want.
The 600mV input value is just for matching preamps, you will not loose any SQ, and won't damage anything. your amp will have the headroom.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #41,933 of 42,765

Wouldn't 600mV be about what some headphones or IEMs need? You won't go wrong with that.

Sep 21, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #41,936 of 42,765
Nice thanks all. Yeah it sounds great through the speakers, I wanted to double check I was doing it right! I've got some speaker wire to move things around. I'll take my time with that, so a weekend job I think. My Mojo and M-PWR will be on my desktop, I guess I will need to unplug my headphones when I want to listen through speakers as otherwise I'll be able to hear them, but that's fine.

I'm going to have to wait a bit longer for my headphones as they sent the wrong wireless version by mistake so hopefully its a quick and painless turn around for those.

The mojo design is really unusual but its actually really cool with the glowing balls :) I think its really creative. It just blows my mind how its somehow better than my M-DAC that has probably x20 the volume.

From the sounds of it Chord maybe releasing some new thing but we're not sure. There were leaks that got taken down. Rumours, I guess we'll find out soon.

After buying new audio stuff I've decided second hand is the way to go with audio kit from now on, its much better value imo. Plus you can avoid hype and early adaptor issues and find the awesome long threads like this :)

I might try a kind of mojo mod in the future where I remove the battery and machine out some vent slats and thermal epoxy some copper heatsinks to the chips. Just a thought at this stage. Maybe that's what the new Chord thing will be :wink:.

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #41,937 of 42,765
Finally:
I can tell what you guys been talking about RFI and Mojo!
Recently I got a Hifiman Sundara.
it sounds a bit bright to me.
tonight, I found some USB cables I had made for Mojo.
Just by chance, I plugged one in, played something , and sound was brighter and harsher than norm.
I swapped the cable, same story! but one of them sounded less bright and less hard.
switching plane-mode made it more obvious.
I am sad to say, I can hear it now!
isn't ignorance bliss?
Just an experiment
Now that I am aware of this phenomena, I decided to see if I can help minimize it.
So I put this cable together:

IMG_20210925_153045~2.jpg

The ferrite core on the left has six holes in it and a wire is wound through it 2.5 turns, it is a standard PCB RFI filter.
I used two, one for 0V (earth) and another for +5V supply rail on the USB cable. Data wires are connected as is.
Previously I had put data wires through a ferrite core and I had synch problems with Mojo.
Cut the story short, it works! not 100% but enough to make it very hard to tell.
The test was, anything audible, between full plane-mode (every transmitter off) and everything on ( 4G, WIFI and BT).
So yeh, it helps.
To my ears, on a standard cable and everything on, there is a mild raspiness that would make some vocals sibilant, and mess with treble.
On this cable, the back-ground is a bit darker, and that high treble grain/raspiness is gone.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #41,938 of 42,765
@Kentajalli ... Congrats on your home-made.

I swear the Audioquest Jitterbug calmed the Mojo.

Even Rob Watts said it worked on the DAVE. (I found his post on it a few times for a re-read.)

I have Hugo 2 also which apparently is already filtered, but I leave a Jitterbug on the cable anyway. I use cables from source, then Jitterbug, then tiniest 15cm cable from Jitterbug to DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #41,939 of 42,765
@Kentajalli ... Congrats on your home-made.
Thanx,
I swear the Audioquest Jitterbug calmed the Mojo.

Even Rob Watts said it worked on the DAVE. (I found his post on it a few times for a re-read.)

I have Hugo 2 also which apparently is already filtered, but I leave a Jitterbug on the cable anyway. I use cabels from source, then Jitterbug, then tiniest 15cm cable from Jitterbug to DAC.
Mine cost £5 and 1.5 hours. not very neat, but functional.
Cable is from and IEM, basically two , twisted pair. Used one pair for Data, another pair for power.
About one inch from ferrites to Mojo.
Whole thing is one meter long, thin and tangle free.

IMG_20210925_193920_edit_49382878898193~2.jpg

Sep 27, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #41,940 of 42,765
I did a check on "Jitterbug".
It is a passive device, that mainly uses inductors on 0V and 5V lines (pretty much like what I have done) + a common mode rejector transformer (I believe) on the data lines.
At worst case it shouldn't hurt anything, unless it is badly made (isn't) and it limits bandwidth on data lines too much.
To my surprise there was a test and measurement on ASR forum, claiming it actually introduced noise! hard to swallow, that surface mount inductors can introduce such a noise as claimed.
Ofcourse such attempts (mine and Jitterbugs) can only be effective if there is a problem to solve, meaning using it on a DAC with galvanic isolation will have zero effect.
But perhaps signal from a device with wifi, BT and cell signal blasting to a Mojo can be cleaned up to some degree.
Ofcourse I could be imagining the effect, as I have no means of testing it electrically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back