Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 10, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #41,791 of 42,759
Absolutely not. USB charging MUST conform to USB power standards of 5v +/-0.25v, otherwise if greater than 5.5v you will destroy Mojo. There are efficient charge pump circuits inside Mojo to create the larger voltages required internally.
Sorry everyone, i misread the previous post, thinking the discussion was about connecting an internal battery 'in lieu' of the supplied battery without going over 8.4V. I never meant to suggest that a 9V battery could be used for the USB charging, of course that voltage should remain 5V. Apologies for the confusion.

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #41,792 of 42,759
But...a fully charged battery measures 8.4V, therefore i doubt 9V would cause any damage.
On a side note:
Charging voltage to a Lithium Polymer (LiPo) battery needs to be carefully controlled, or ELSE!
Mojo battery is rated 7.4V nominal, requiring 8.4V to charge it to 100% capacity.
LiPo's are happy between 20% to 90% (or there about) charge capacity to have longer life.
I believe Mojo only charges to 8.2V carefully to extend the life of the battery.
This LiPo under load hovers just under 8V, which is a happy voltage for Mojo.
Now, if one was to shove 9V (current not limited) into such a battery, it will cause overheating, leaking and possibly explosion!
Charging a LiPo is a delicate dance, which Mojo knows how to do.
It is not wise to bypass any parts of Mojo's powersupply chain, or modifying it, unless you really know what you are doing, and are ready for consequences.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #41,793 of 42,759
Absolutely not. USB charging MUST conform to USB power standards of 5v +/-0.25v, otherwise if greater than 5.5v you will destroy Mojo. There are efficient charge pump circuits inside Mojo to create the larger voltages required internally.
Hello Rob,
Do you know if I can use my Qutest power supply to charge the poly and mojo while connected as one unit? I see that it is 5v 2.1 Amps.

Aug 13, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #41,796 of 42,759
Hmm.
In my little knowledge, pick one, plug it in and enjoy. ^^

Honestly, it's a somewhat undefined question that every iem will match here. :wink:

Do you've a favourite one?

Aug 13, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #41,797 of 42,759
Hello ppl, been asking in the Hugo thread instead and someone directed me here.
I am a new Mojo user.
Any suggestions about optimal IEM matching with this DAC?
Thanx
Mojo is not fussy!
Chris Kaoss is right.

Aug 13, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #41,799 of 42,759
Every iem I have sings out of the mojo.
Thanks for the replies.

OK I get the point guys.

I did try it with Shure se846, Mackie mp-460 and Sennheiser IE400pro. Got better performance from the Mackies from a first impression.

I was thinking there'd be recommendations regarding say low/high impedance, DD/BA differences etc.

Aug 13, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #41,800 of 42,759
Thanks for the replies.

OK I get the point guys.

I did try it with Shure se846, Mackie mp-460 and Sennheiser IE400pro. Got better performance from the Mackies from a first impression.

I was thinking there'd be recommendations regarding say low/high impedance, DD/BA differences etc.
my iem recs are in my signature, but it really depends on your tastes for musical preferences.

I agree, the mojo plays well with a lot of IEMs. It also has low impedance so IEMs that are sensitive to it wont be affected, unless you want it to be.

I personally use the Hidition Viento-B and Unique Melody MEST CIEMs and enjoy both with the Mojo/Poly right now.

Aug 15, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #41,802 of 42,759
Hi! I'm very interested in purchasing a Chord Mojo locally from a 2nd hand shop.
I know newer is not always better, but the Mojo has been out for a few years, has it aged well when compared to some modern day sources?
TBH I'm a bit worried about the battery issues I've read on forums with the Mojo. But if worst come to worst, I'm also okay to unplug the Mojo and use it as a USB powered DAC/amp for the desktop.

Thank you for your advise and appreciate any input!

Aug 15, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #41,803 of 42,759
I've just found Brian Bennet KPM 1000 album and it nicely shows strengths of Mojo. Everything is so well organized and pronounced even though soundstage is intimate. I see people commonly mention in this thread that "this" DAP is better in every way/ night and day difference etc. This is simply not true, I've already disproved one statement where "Fiio M11 is way better than Mojo". As I already own better DAP from Fiio line, M11 pro which lagged behind mojo regards qualities than I'm most interested
Hi there. I am a new Mojo user.
A/B -ing with my V30 ( I also own the M11) I think I notice a more 'intimate' soundstage with the Mojo as you mention above.
Would you suggest that this is a standard characteristic of its presentation?

Aug 15, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #41,804 of 42,759
Hi there. I am a new Mojo user.
A/B -ing with my V30 ( I also own the M11) I think I notice a more 'intimate' soundstage with the Mojo as you mention above.
Would you suggest that this is a standard characteristic of its presentation?

Yes mojo is intimate, but soundstage is well organized. Mojo doesn't blend sounds during complex passages which can be perceived in many similar "portable" dac/amps. I don't mind intimate presentation if things fall into places as it should

Fiio M11 Pro has "cleaner" presentation, but it comes with price. It has that glossy character to it which not always plays in Fiio M11 Pro favor. Personally I enjoy more lively presentation of Mojo and I need way less volume with mojo than with Fiio M11 Pro to get my toe tapping

Mojo is a keeper for me and the only thing is that it is not suited for portable use with phone, but as an external dac/amp for laptop is amazing. I'm coming from holidays now and will test Mojo via "cleaner" optical input tomorrow to see if here is any audible difference.

If I'll see an improvement over optical I'm really considering getting Digione Player Signature to replace my macbook as a streamer at home

Aug 16, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #41,805 of 42,759
Yes mojo is intimate, but soundstage is well organized. Mojo doesn't blend sounds during complex passages which can be perceived in many similar "portable" dac/amps. I don't mind intimate presentation if things fall into places as it should

Fiio M11 Pro has "cleaner" presentation, but it comes with price. It has that glossy character to it which not always plays in Fiio M11 Pro favor. Personally I enjoy more lively presentation of Mojo and I need way less volume with mojo than with Fiio M11 Pro to get my toe tapping

Mojo is a keeper for me and the only thing is that it is not suited for portable use with phone, but as an external dac/amp for laptop is amazing. I'm coming from holidays now and will test Mojo via "cleaner" optical input tomorrow to see if here is any audible difference.

If I'll see an improvement over optical I'm really considering getting Digione Player Signature to replace my macbook as a streamer at home
Yes, I actually bought it for a laptop DAC.
I am still getting accustomed to its presentation. I am mostly an IEM user.
I'd say it is more oriented on the lower mids/bass region from a first impression.
From this, I would predict that it must be more suited for more neutrally set multi-BA IEMs rather than warm-sounding DD ones.
Do you have any opinion regarding best IEM match for the MOJO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back