Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 7, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #41,776 of 42,759
I've just found Brian Bennet KPM 1000 album and it nicely shows strengths of Mojo. Everything is so well organized and pronounced even though soundstage is intimate. I see people commonly mention in this thread that "this" DAP is better in every way/ night and day difference etc. This is simply not true, I've already disproved one statement where "Fiio M11 is way better than Mojo". As I already own better DAP from Fiio line, M11 pro which lagged behind mojo regards qualities than I'm most interested

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #41,777 of 42,759
I am using my mojo without a battery from usb on my laptop, this seems fine, i did wonder if connecting the power socket to the mains using a usb charger is:

1. possible
2. safe to leave plugged in permanently

Ideally i would a response from Chord and anyone who has done this successfully and safely.

d

Aug 9, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #41,779 of 42,759
Aug 9, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #41,781 of 42,759
Thank you Billyak and Kentajalli, but i read the thread and while it is clear that usb from laptop/pc is fine as is an external powerpack, i still want to know if connecting a mojo without battery to the mains using a usb charger plug is safe as a permanent connection?

d

Aug 9, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #41,782 of 42,759
Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #41,783 of 42,759
Thank you Billyak and Kentajalli, but i read the thread and while it is clear that usb from laptop/pc is fine as is an external powerpack, i still want to know if connecting a mojo without battery to the mains using a usb charger plug is safe as a permanent connection?

d
Others have done it, and nothing has blown up yet (that we know of!) so practically, It is safe (Chord may disagree).
But the question : "should I do it or not?" has been debated on the same link, draw your own conclusions.
Power from laptop may at times may not be enough, most laptops limit power output into a USB 2 device to 0.5A , Mojo technically needs 1A, so if you have a proper wall charger (not from a dollar shop) then the wall unit would be better, perhaps even cleaner.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #41,784 of 42,759
Thank you, i read this and it seems to say that high impedance headphones over 32 ohms can be driven very successfully without a battery - using usb power but lower impedance headphones <32 ohms need the battery to provide dynamics, this i find difficult to understand as i thought low impedance headphones were easy to drive hence being used with mobile phones?

Aug 9, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #41,785 of 42,759
Thank you, i read this and it seems to say that high impedance headphones over 32 ohms can be driven very successfully without a battery - using usb power but lower impedance headphones <32 ohms need the battery to provide dynamics, this i find difficult to understand as i thought low impedance headphones were easy to drive hence being used with mobile phones?
Yes and No!
high impedance headphones, require higher output voltage to make them loud enough, since Mojo works on about 8Volts, and has a good amp , it can drive them.
Standard mobile phones can not output enough voltage, so they don't go loud enough.
But lower impedance headphones, require more current to drive them (and a low output impedance on the amp side), hence they need more sudden surges of current, than high impedance headphones.
Batteries and large capacitors can provide such surges, the charging circuit of Mojo may not be up to the task.
Remember, the powersupply section of Mojo was designed for a single purpose, slow charging of the battery ONLY!
But as Mr. Watts designs everything with a large headroom, it can actually power the Mojo, but in reality it wasn'r meant to.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #41,786 of 42,759
Yes and No!
high impedance headphones, require higher output voltage to make them loud enough, since Mojo works on about 8Volts, and has a good amp , it can drive them.
Standard mobile phones can not output enough voltage, so they don't go loud enough.
But lower impedance headphones, require more current to drive them (and a low output impedance on the amp side), hence they need more sudden surges of current, than high impedance headphones.
Batteries and large capacitors can provide such surges, the charging circuit of Mojo may not be up to the task.
Remember, the powersupply section of Mojo was designed for a single purpose, slow charging of the battery ONLY!
But as Mr. Watts designs everything with a large headroom, it can actually power the Mojo, but in reality it wasn'r meant to.
In short, even a 9V / 2A wall charger will be restricted by the charging circuit of the Mojo and isn't able to provide its full power, so to think.
To bridge this cap, you've to use the battery and/or power caps.

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #41,787 of 42,759
I've just found Brian Bennet KPM 1000 album and it nicely shows strengths of Mojo. Everything is so well organized and pronounced even though soundstage is intimate. I see people commonly mention in this thread that "this" DAP is better in every way/ night and day difference etc. This is simply not true, I've already disproved one statement where "Fiio M11 is way better than Mojo". As I already own better DAP from Fiio line, M11 pro which lagged behind mojo regards qualities than I'm most interested

I have owned a Mojo and I now own a Fiio M11 Plus, so no need to prove anything to me. I have used and listened to both so I know what I think. You have stated your opinion, the same as other people do. It does not prove anything.

If the Mojo was so great it would still be selling like hot cakes. What people are willing to spend their own money on is quite telling.
I can't wait to see the next version of Mojo. Apparently it will be here soon! :beerchug:

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #41,788 of 42,759
In short, even a 9V / 2A wall charger will be restricted by the charging circuit of the Mojo and isn't able to provide its full power, so to think.
To bridge this cap, you've to use the battery and/or power caps.
Yes, correct .
but don't ever shove 9V into Mojo , it most probably will do some damage.
Mojo needs 5V.

Aug 9, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #41,789 of 42,759
Yes, correct .
but don't ever shove 9V into Mojo , it most probably will do some damage.
Mojo needs 5V.
But...a fully charged battery measures 8.4V, therefore i doubt 9V would cause any damage.

Attachments

• 20210403_155834.jpg
    20210403_155834.jpg
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #41,790 of 42,759
But...a fully charged battery measures 8.4V, therefore i doubt 9V would cause any damage.
Absolutely not. USB charging MUST conform to USB power standards of 5v +/-0.25v, otherwise if greater than 5.5v you will destroy Mojo. There are efficient charge pump circuits inside Mojo to create the larger voltages required internally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back