Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 26, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #40,606 of 42,761
This certainly beats the Poly for BT but is there an equivalent unit offering both BT and lossless streaming like the Poly? I don't care about Roon.
Don't be so quick to dis Poly.
Yes, on paper Poly is only BT4.2 and this gadget is all singing, dancing BT5 with LDAC and all - but knowing Chord, the BT module inside Poly must be of finest quality.
As to answer your question, I can not find anything, ANYthing similar to this device, being so small, portable, rechargable and this cheap - anywhere, let alone having wifi, streaming and be lossless.
I am expecting a sound-quality drop betwreen this device and direct connection to Mojo - by how much - it remains to be seen.
It would be interesting to see the range under LDAC 24/96 for this device, I used to have a Fiio BTR5 that used to manage about a meter or less! best I could get was LDAC 24/48 with about 2 meters of range.
Watch this spot . . .

Oct 26, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #40,607 of 42,761
This certainly beats the Poly for BT but is there an equivalent unit offering both BT and lossless streaming like the Poly? I don't care about Roon.

Not exactly.

You can find many small DAPs (i.e. Shanling M0) with BT and lossless streaming that will feed the mojo via spdif or even USB, but they will not match the form factor/mojo integration of the poly.

Chord didn't focus on BT audio for Poly. It's SBC only and sounds okay. To be honest, with the DLNA, Airplay, RAAT, and onboard MPD/microSD, I don't see why you'd use BT with poly.

Oct 26, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #40,608 of 42,761
Not exactly.

You can find many small DAPs (i.e. Shanling M0) with BT and lossless streaming that will feed the mojo via spdif or even USB, but they will not match the form factor/mojo integration of the poly.

Chord didn't focus on BT audio for Poly. It's SBC only and sounds okay. To be honest, with the DLNA, Airplay, RAAT, and onboard MPD/microSD, I don't see why you'd use BT with poly.
I can not see any lossless streaming on M0 - you need wifi and M0 does not have any.
Do you know any other small DAPs with wifi and lossless streaming.
Actually of great interest to me, is a purely digital player that I can feed to Mojo, that takes a MicroSD card, no screen, no other outputs, but be remote controllable using BT.
Similar to Poly's media player - that is all I require.
As yet, I am not interested in internet music streaming - I just want to play my own music off a storage.
Thanx

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #40,609 of 42,761
I can not see any lossless streaming on M0 - you need wifi and M0 does not have any.
Do you know any other small DAPs with wifi and lossless streaming.

I mentioned the M0 as one of the options over on the poly thread. The Xduoo XT10 comes to mind as well. I have no experience with these, just mentioning options mentioned on the poly thread.

Actually of great interest to me, is a purely digital player that I can feed to Mojo, that takes a MicroSD card, no screen, no other outputs, but be remote controllable using BT. Similar to Poly's media player - that is all I require.

You're describing the poly. :)

As yet, I am not interested in internet music streaming - I just want to play my own music off a storage.
Thanx

In all seriousness, there is no "poly equivalent". You can piece various devices together to match the functions provided by poly, but they won't have the same integration and small size. Your best bet to get the poly's functions for cheaper is to buy one off of a disgruntled poly user.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #40,610 of 42,761
Can sound quality degrade as the battery goes through its life cycle? I'm thinking in terms of voltage drop in older batteries affecting playback quality. I recently replaced my battery (not holding charge for more than 2.5 hours) and noticed a change in the playback quality for the better (same IEMs / volume / source music) since the replacement.

I think that's pretty much a given especially for devices that depend on reliable current like an amp. Other than capacity lithium batteries differ from other battery types like alkalines by being able to deliver the spec'd voltage (+/- a certain range) over the vast majority of its life span. The falloff for other battery types occurs earlier in their lifespan. So a set of alkaline batteries might not be able to adequately power a flashlight but would have enough juice to adequately power a remote control. A falloff in voltage for a lithium battery is indicative of impending end of life. For my Nest smart thermometer its 4v lithium battery typically functions at around 3.8 - 3.9 volts and the manufacturer recommends replacing it once it falls below 3.8v.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #40,611 of 42,761
I think that's pretty much a given especially for devices that depend on reliable current like an amp. Other than capacity lithium batteries differ from other battery types like alkalines by being able to deliver the spec'd voltage (+/- a certain range) over the vast majority of its life span. The falloff for other battery types occurs earlier in their lifespan. So a set of alkaline batteries might not be able to adequately power a flashlight but would have enough juice to adequately power a remote control. A falloff in voltage for a lithium battery is indicative of impending end of life. For my Nest smart thermometer its 4v lithium battery typically functions at around 3.8 - 3.9 volts and the manufacturer recommends replacing it once it falls below 3.8v.
So by your reasoning the answer to the question raised, is - No, sound quality should not suffer, as the Mojo is powered by a Li ion battery, which I pretty much agree.
Perhaps the effect the @captblaze is describing is akin the effect one gets when filling up their tank, and suddenly the car drives smoother!!
:dt880smile:

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #40,612 of 42,761
Hey guys, has anyone had problems with the USB input on their Mojo?

The Data USB input port suddenly stopped working. Power USB port works (and charges device) but doesn't transmit data. I'm currently running through the Optical input, but USB data does not seem to transmit at all, regardless of device.

Any input on this is appreciated. I love the Mojo but its giving me a lot of problems which I don't have the time for.

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #40,613 of 42,761
Hey guys, has anyone had problems with the USB input on their Mojo?

The Data USB input port suddenly stopped working. Power USB port works (and charges device) but doesn't transmit data. I'm currently running through the Optical input, but USB data does not seem to transmit at all, regardless of device.

Any input on this is appreciated. I love the Mojo but its giving me a lot of problems which I don't have the time for.
Have you checked it for any physical damage with a mgnifying glass ? or better still take a picture using your phone an zoom in,
Any damage? anything clogged up inside?
Checked with a different cable?
just trouble shooting.

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #40,614 of 42,761
Have you checked it for any physical damage with a mgnifying glass ? or better still take a picture using your phone an zoom in,
Any damage? anything clogged up inside?
Checked with a different cable?
just trouble shooting.

Yes, checked both of those and they're fine. Checked with different cable, devices etc.

I've had the unit for less than a month. I don't think the problem here is damage from the port but rather the internal USB decoder not working.

Oct 30, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #40,615 of 42,761
Yes, checked both of those and they're fine. Checked with different cable, devices etc.

I've had the unit for less than a month. I don't think the problem here is damage from the port but rather the internal USB decoder not working.

Can you still return it or exchange it? I've had mine for more than a year and it works perfectly. I think you just happened upon a rare faulty unit.

Oct 30, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #40,616 of 42,761

unless a large electricity spike found its way in, it is not likely.
the same chip that handles the USB, handles the other inputs too.
If it is only a month old - contact Chord.
If it is only a month old to you, and somehow you dont have any warranty - I suggest you open the device carefully with the right tools.
Disconnect the battery a leave it for ten minutes.
Reconnect the battery, and close it up - try again.

Oct 31, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #40,617 of 42,761
So I just listened on my Windows 10 laptop with the Mojo and 2 Jitterbugs (1 in the unused USB port below, 1 above with the Mojo connected to it) after 2 months of listening on my iPad 4.

And I must say, compared to my iPad 4, the bass is so weak! It's mind boggling how that could happen, but it's clear as day!

The sound is a bit harsher/less controlled in the upper-end of the spectrum as well. Even though my laptop has got a Jitterbug, the iPad still has a lot less EMI/RFI without the Jitterbug, resulting in a bassier and smoother sound.

Can someone recommend me the best USB RF/EMI silencer?
The best USB silencer that I know and use is the Minidsp USBstreamer. It converts USB to optical and then feeds the mojo through the toslink input. Optical connection is galvanic isolated by nature and works up to 24/192 with a short or good quality cable. The bass is as clear as it gets.

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #40,619 of 42,761
So I just listened on my Windows 10 laptop with the Mojo and 2 Jitterbugs (1 in the unused USB port below, 1 above with the Mojo connected to it) after 2 months of listening on my iPad 4.

And I must say, compared to my iPad 4, the bass is so weak! It's mind boggling how that could happen, but it's clear as day!

The sound is a bit harsher/less controlled in the upper-end of the spectrum as well. Even though my laptop has got a Jitterbug, the iPad still has a lot less EMI/RFI without the Jitterbug, resulting in a bassier and smoother sound.

Can someone recommend me the best USB RF/EMI silencer?
I never have had any problem regarding RF noise with my Mojo, mine is connected to my cheap Chinese phone with a DIY cable .
But I have heard people having issues. But assuming all issues with Mojo must be RF noise related, may be hasty.
According to Rob Watts the designer, the USB input does have a galvanic isolator built in, and it is usually bad phones and bad cables that cause any issues - but according to Rob , it only raises the noise floor. I doubt if it makes the bass change character.
To test this, all you need is a computer with optic output to connect to your Mojo.
As been said before, by nature optical input is electrically isolated - try it and see if the issue gets resolved before parting with more money and carry more stuff around with you.
Personally, I believe the difference in performance between your iPad and Mojo, is more personal preferences related than anything else.
Good luck

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back