Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 16, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #40,261 of 42,759
Thanks for your thoughts cuiter23.

May 16, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #40,262 of 42,759
I didn't know what the SP1000 is, so had to google it. Any reason for preferring the old AK240 over the new flagship SP1000? I never got a chance to listen to the AK240, so I'm not sure how it compares to my AK120 II, but I suspect they're probably quite close in sound. To be fair to DAPs, their DAC prices are probably magnitudes lower than the Mojo's cost, so it's a bit of an unfair comparison imho.

Yes, I would concur with what you're said about the Mojo sound (vs the AK120 II). That was my impressions too, but only after a short 45 minutes demo in store. The mojo is most certainly better.

Yup, it is better and makes the AKs outrageously expensive transports. At least they have great build quality and the best UI. I still like my AK120 ll and will hang on to it for as long as possible... but...when the day comes that i need a new DAP i will probably not spend that kind of money on a device to be used as transport-only.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #40,263 of 42,759
Yup, it is better and makes the AKs outrageously expensive transports. At least they have great build quality and the best UI. I still like my AK120 ll and will hang on to it for as long as possible... but...when the time comes that i need a new DAP i will probably not spend that kind of money for a transport-only device.

What I did was sell the AK240 to buy a Poly. Mojo sound quality anywhere.

May 16, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #40,264 of 42,759

I thought about that, but how do you select music etc via the poly? I don't see any screen on the poly. I presume it wifi to a phone and you use an app?

May 16, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #40,265 of 42,759
I thought about that, but how do you select music etc via the poly? I don't see any screen on the poly. I presume it wifi to a phone and you use an app?

Yes you need to have a controller for it. A PC, cellphone, or tablet can all work as a controller.

I use Roon at home and on the go connect to the Poly Wi-Fi hotspot and stream Tidal to it.

When I had my DAP I had to bring 2 pieces of gear anyways. And I much prefer my iPhone interface over the AK UI, plus I get access to all of Tidal's library. The AK player would only play Tidal on a WiFi network (which is useless as a portable device).

May 16, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #40,266 of 42,759

I still prefer the tactile feel of a dedicated DAP though.

May 16, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #40,267 of 42,759
Thanks guys, much food for thought. Remember, I'm an old fart, so not really up with some of this new audio tech lol. :xf_cool:

May 17, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #40,268 of 42,759
May 18, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #40,269 of 42,759
That's good to know, thank you! It 's a pity optical doesn't support native DSD output though. Is there a technical reason for this? I bought a 3.5mm to optical cable yesterday (Chord c-lite), not realising it doesn't support DSD playback. Have to now find a suitable coax cable that isn't super pricey (I don't believe in cables to be honest, they're just snake oil as far as I'm concerned).

Hi @dpastern, could I ask you what your impressions were on the build of the Chord C-Lite? I recently ordered an AudioQuest Forest OptiLink and I was surprised at how incredibly thin it is. It's going back. It just doesn't have the right feel / durability for the price point.

May 18, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #40,270 of 42,759
Hi @dpastern, could I ask you what your impressions were on the build of the Chord C-Lite? I recently ordered an AudioQuest Forest OptiLink and I was surprised at how incredibly thin it is. It's going back. It just doesn't have the right feel / durability for the price point.

I find the sweet spot to be their cinnamon line for digital cables.

May 18, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #40,272 of 42,759
You mean AudioQuest? But is the Cinnamon line just as thin? Forest was ridiculous. As thin or thinner than my mouse cable.

Once you go up to Cinnamon and above the cables are much thicker and more solidly built.

May 18, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #40,273 of 42,759
Once you go up to Cinnamon and above the cables are much thicker and more solidly built.

Thanks, good to know because it's not clear from the pictures at all.

But I find it absolutely nuts that their Forest cable, 1.5m for 49 EUR is so thin and flimsy. My iVanky optical cable for 10 EUR is far more solid, locks in place perfectly, has a better build on every single aspect I can see. They sound the same based on a limited sound test. I won't spend 80 EUR on the Cinnamon line after this experience. I will likely try the Chord C-Lite mentioned above. Does anyone have experience with it?

May 18, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #40,274 of 42,759
I don't understand your statement; an amplifier has to be driven by something and that something is an analog signal coming from either a preamp or a DAC with variable output level.

Edit: Perhaps you meant to say the Mojo adds a veil to the sound when driving an amplifier 'in comparison' to other DACs? If so which one?
That is why I posted.
The amplifier needs an analogue input, and it makes no difference whether it is the mojo analogue output, or a different preamp output.
So I considered I could spend 3k on TToby, or 6k on Etude
Once I bought my Hugo2, it was clear they I had spent 2k, and had no need spend more, because Hugo2 can drive all my speakers.

May 18, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #40,275 of 42,759
Regarding cables the Shanling L2 silver plated USB-C to micro works well, and also FIIO has such a cable, cheaper and more easily available, works equally well.

Regarding SQ of the Mojo, I also never found it cold, otherwise @GreenBow describes it perfectly.
soundstage in my Stereo system was shockingly good, especially depth. Like the wall of my living room just vanished. There’s Now a 2Qute In my system :)

@dpastern

Well please don't either of you get me wrong. I was not saying that the Mojo sounds cold, thin, or metallic next to other DACs, on a permanent basis. Otherwise I would not now own a Mojo, Qutest, Hugo 2, and TT2.

Neither was I the only person to find the Mojo sounding like that initially. Others said the same in this thread. Anyway I am not explaining why, or any more, or again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back