Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 7, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #40,187 of 42,759
2. From my experience, you need to use the Mojo in exclusive mode and force volume in Tidal. This can only be done on Windows I believe (I think MacOS manages these settings automatically, not 100% sure on that). If these settings are not engaged the light ball will remain red/orange regardless if you are playing a 44.1kHz or 96kHz track. On the iPhone you will be stuck with a red/orange ball.

On iOS, the Tidal app switches sample rates automatically... that's the most important thing.

So it is essentially operating close to Exlusive Mode. It will never be truely 'Exclusive Mode' on a phone. Apple wouldn't allow it for obvious reasons - an incoming phone call have to interrupt audio on a phone.

But just switch the phone to DND Mode (phone calls only).

Hopefully Amazon Music HD fix their desktop and iOS apps to support proper automatic sample rate switching. Tidal app's work well in this regard.

May 7, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #40,189 of 42,759
Question: What device feeding data to the Mojo makes Mojo sound the best?
(ie laptop, desktop, tablet, smartphone, digital audio player, something else...)
I assumed they all sounded the same but now I've tried a desktop, laptop, smartphone and "DAP", and the difference is stark between them.

1. Optical.
2. Poly.
3. Any computing USB source with Audioquest Jitterbug to clean the power rails.
4. A DAP and you can use a Jitterbug between Mojo and DAP again. (A DAP would be considerably less noisy than a PC though. Your choice to use Jitterbug then. However the cable connecting DAP to Mojo could still be prone to RFI. No idea if there is RFI coming from a DAP itself.)

The only time you would get a degradation in sound is feeding the Mojo straight from a PC. Meaning with no Jitterbug to clean the power rails. Or feeding Mojo with coaxial, and using a non-shielded coaxial cable in an RFI noisy environment.

Poly is probably the best though, or at least according to some users it is.

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #40,191 of 42,759
This is exactly what happened to me the past few months, lol. Added Poly and then got the itch for Hugo 2. Then seeing how convenient Poly was, just went all out and got the 2go. Chord is addictive.

Hugo 2 is a serious step up from Mojo. I don't regret it. Granted, I wouldn't pay 5x more for it. Got a second-hand Hugo 2.
I might end up doing the same.
Lockdown has this unfortunate side affect :sweat_smile:

May 9, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #40,193 of 42,759
Am close to buying a smartphone - for the first time. However I have a question about apps like USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP).

Some smartphones have high res audio chips on them. Therefore running something like UAPP would play high res audio to the Mojo, (or Hugo 2).

My question is, do I need to buy a smartphone that already supports high-res music? This needs explaining a bit. …..E.g. If I go a smartphone that did not support high res music. Then bought UAPP. Would the smartphone play high res audio files in UAPP, and feed them to an external DAC, the Mojo.

I know the answer might be, why not buy a phone with HD-music support? However I might be prioritising phone choice by camera performance etc.

May 9, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #40,194 of 42,759
Am close to buying a smartphone - for the first time. However I have a question about apps like USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP).

Some smartphones have high res audio chips on them. Therefore running something like UAPP would play high res audio to the Mojo, (or Hugo 2).

My question is, do I need to buy a smartphone that already supports high-res music? This needs explaining a bit. …..E.g. If I go a smartphone that did not support high res music. Then bought UAPP. Would the smartphone play high res audio files in UAPP, and feed them to an external DAC, the Mojo.

I know the answer might be, why not buy a phone with HD-music support? However I might be prioritising phone choice by camera performance etc.

If you plan on using a smartphone with UAPP as a transport then it shouldn't matter what's inside the phone. Running UAPP bypasses all internal audio processing (by the phone) and sends the data to the DAC for decoding.

May 9, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #40,195 of 42,759
If you plan on using a smartphone with UAPP as a transport then it shouldn't matter what's inside the phone. Running UAPP bypasses all internal audio processing (by the phone) and sends the data to the DAC for decoding.

Thank you. I assume it should be like that.

I wanted to make sure though, because it would be rough to buy and find out the other way.

May 9, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #40,196 of 42,759
The OP is using his/her Mojo as a decoder and amplifier. If you're going to say there is a difference in sound quality between using a Samsung Galaxy S10 versus an iPhone 12 using the same USB interconnect to the Mojo and the same source/platform to play that song then you are entitled to that opinion.

I have failed to detect any in my testings - I don't deny that you have.
Al streams are not equal
From Android the best choice is UAPP, you get bit perfect guaranteed when connected through USB or Coax. I get same results using Tidal casting to Chromecast Audio connected to Mojo through optical.

May 9, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #40,198 of 42,759
Hi Almarti, I have an I phone, is there anything better I can get that would improve over that or do you not think it’s necessary. If I do upgrade I would like to get a desktop streamer.

Bang for the buck on network streaming - Allo will always be my recommendation, but there are a lot of good options, especially in the RPi based arena.

May 9, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #40,199 of 42,759
Bang for the buck on network streaming - Allo will always be my recommendation, but there are a lot of good options, especially in the RPi based arena.

That's an interesting file source. I have been looking for one at a budget price, just like that. It seems like we are being milked when they expect us to pay like £1000 for a file player. Especially considering you can get a file player in an DAP and the whole thing will do high res for under £100. If we have nice DACs though, they just want to gouge us for money. Sometimes the products only have wifi control by smartphone, more than an £100 DAP. They put a power supply on it, for hifi use and slam a hefty price tag.

It's not that I would not spend much more if the device seemed worth it to me. It's that I always look at file players way over say £500, and think 'yeah good for you'.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #40,200 of 42,759
That's an interesting file source. I have been looking for one at a budget price, just like that. It seems like we a being milked when they expect us to pay like £1000 for a file player. Especially considering you can get a file player in an DAP and the whole thing will do high res for under £100. If we have nice DACs though, they just want to gouge us for money. Sometimes the products only have wifi control by smartphone, more than an £100 DAP. They put a power supply on it, for hifi use and slam a hefty price tag.

It's not that I would not spend much more if the device seemed worth it to me. It's that I always look at file players and think, 'yeah good for you'.

Agreed. Prepackaged network streamers have their place, don't get me wrong. You also get a much easier "out of the box" experience with these options. If you're not scared of setting up some software yourself, though, RPi based streamers are an excellent choice.

Allo's products are quite affordable, even when you add their LPS to the setup (which I would absolutely due as it makes a very noticeable difference IMO).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back