Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 9, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #39,452 of 42,765
Yes, using the Mojo on USB, you will need a USB cleaner.

Rob told us that PCs are noisy. The noise travels along the power lines, of the USB music data cable into the analogue parts of the DAC. That causes brightness to the sound.

I put an Audioquest Jitterbug on my Mojo USB, and the effect was immediate.

I disagree that you need a cleaner on the Mojo. If you run it correctly and with a well sorted system, it sounds great and certainly with no deterimental noise, at least compared to the half dozen or so other good dacs I have had connected to my system via usb. If you have noise then look at possible other causes or configuration.

My experience with Jitterbug and Wyrd with USB in any of my systems has been poor. Transients reduced, duller sound. As for USB in a PC. I have tested and reviewed a half dozen usb bridges and still prefer straight USB to a converted USB to spdif signal. It is relatively easy to get usb sorted if you know what to do and when you buy a dac that does not have a sh***y USB implementation.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #39,453 of 42,765
A question when it comes to soundquality;

Chord Mojo and a smartphone vs the Cowon plenue D2? Which one would have the best sq?
Or some other highend dap
i have a Samsung galaxy s7 and the UAPP(usb audio player pro) it is my favorite music app.
Where i live a Cowon Plenue D2 and Chord mojo costing the same money.
I listen mostly to rock and jazz
I like akg headphones. I am not an audiophile but ofcourse like good soundquality.

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #39,454 of 42,765
Yes, using the Mojo on USB, you will need a USB cleaner.

Rob told us that PCs are noisy. The noise travels along the power lines, of the USB music data cable into the analogue parts of the DAC. That causes brightness to the sound.

I put an Audioquest Jitterbug on my Mojo USB, and the effect was immediate.

I could use coaxial or optical. What would be better? I'll need to get a soundcard from somewhere but if the quality improves it would be worth it.

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #39,455 of 42,765
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #39,456 of 42,765
A question when it comes to soundquality;

Chord Mojo and a smartphone vs the Cowon plenue D2? Which one would have the best sq?
Or some other highend dap
i have a Samsung galaxy s7 and the UAPP(usb audio player pro) it is my favorite music app.
Where i live a Cowon Plenue D2 and Chord mojo costing the same money.
I listen mostly to rock and jazz
I like akg headphones. I am not an audiophile but of course like good soundquality.

I have used and heard the Plenue D2 and find it to be good sounding player although a bit on the warmer side than I like. Could pair nicely with AKG depending on model. It's user interface is not so great but I suppose one can get used to it in time.

I owned the Mojo for years and it sounded good with my phones but like all OTG cable connected dacs suffered from disconnects due to cable movement in my pocket. Sound quality was fairly neutral and did a nice job with UAPP. But the bulk of the whole thing is crazy. I moved quickly to the LG V20 & 30 series phones which sounded about as good as the Mojo connected to a good phone like a Samsung. Now I use a LG G7 thinQ and things sound great. Not missing carrying a brick around in my pants.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #39,457 of 42,765
Ahh...the LG yes i heard about people liking their soundquality very much.
Yes i was worried about the cable between the Mojo and smartphone and the size.
What app for music do You use in Your Lg?
I have the Akg K420 and Akg K550 mk2 and some Denon in ears costing around 200 dollars here.
And Bose

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #39,459 of 42,765
I disagree that you need a cleaner on the Mojo. If you run it correctly and with a well sorted system, it sounds great and certainly with no deterimental noise, at least compared to the half dozen or so other good dacs I have had connected to my system via usb. If you have noise then look at possible other causes or configuration.

My experience with Jitterbug and Wyrd with USB in any of my systems has been poor. Transients reduced, duller sound. As for USB in a PC. I have tested and reviewed a half dozen usb bridges and still prefer straight USB to a converted USB to spdif signal. It is relatively easy to get usb sorted if you know what to do and when you buy a dac that does not have a sh***y USB implementation.

Other people have tried the Jitterbug on USB and found they didn't like it. Stories like collapsed sound stage, duller sound, etc. However the JItterbug can not destroy sound, as it does not damage the music samples. What people hear with the Jitterbug, is the music as it's supposed to be. That is confirmed when we A-B between USB with Jittebug and optical.

What it means is that people liked having the noise from the PC having an effect on the Mojo. I was similar in the first moments when adding the Jitterbug. I was very surprised how obvious the difference was when adding the Jitterbug. However I told myself, that how it's supposed to be. Like all changes, I said to myself, get used to it. I carried on listening and in time I appreciated the new sound and loved the Mojo sound more. It was less bright, or less in my face, with more texture and tonality. When I did an A-B with optical it was identical, so I was happy. I would never run a Mojo without Jitterbug from PC now.

If you disagree with me, that's fine. I have said my peace/piece; whichever you prefer. For more proof, Rob Watts added noise filtering (same as Jitterbug) to the USB on the Hugo 2, and TT2. I can not hear any difference between USB and optical on either of those DACs, and I have both. I don't really use Mojo with my PC anymore, or barely at all ever. I just help out in the thread sometimes. If you disagree then I won't spend any more time on it.

I could use coaxial or optical. What would be better? I'll need to get a soundcard from somewhere but if the quality improves it would be worth it.

You can use Jitterbug with USB or optical. Coaxial would OK, but optical is reference sound, only because it's cleanest. If you need to buy a converter for optical, I am sure it would be fine. In my last PC I had a very cheap converter that was not even a sound card. It attached to a purpose built header on the motherboard, which sent sound bits to the converter. I was worried that with it being such a cheap item bought on ebay, that it would work inefficiently. However it ran flawlessly. I never really used it though, unless I was just comparing my USB sound.

Have found picture of the PC card I used. There was a specific header on the motherboard for this very attachment. As you can see it's a converter from USB to optical and coaxial, and not even a sound card. No DAC chip.
Optical header out..png

I made sure my new PC build had optical on the motherboard.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #39,460 of 42,765
You can use Jitterbug with USB or optical. Coaxial would OK, but optical is reference sound, only because it's cleanest. If you need to buy a converter for optical, I am sure it would be fine. In my last PC I had a very cheap converter that was not even a sound card. It attached to a purpose built header on the motherboard, which sent sound bits to the converter. I was worried that with it being such a cheap item bought on ebay, that it would work inefficiently. However it ran flawlessly. I never really used it though, unless I was just comparing my USB sound.

I made sure my new PC build had optical on the motherboard.

I have just picked up a Xonar DG which has an optical out. Hopefully it is better than the USB on my motherboard.

Nov 10, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #39,462 of 42,765
I wonder if I place the mojo on top of my PC case do you think it would pickup the noise of the PC?
Truthfully only you can decide. The Mojo has a solid case to block RFI, so the cables remain the main route into the Mojo for RFI.
If you try placing your Mojo on top of your PC case, and you still enjoy the music, then chill.
If you don't enjoy the music, then post again, and hopefully the community can provide suggestions.
:slight_smile:

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #39,464 of 42,765
I wonder if I place the mojo on top of my PC case do you think it would pickup the noise of the PC?

Am not sure it's that kind of noise, but probably partly that. I think it's the PC USB powerlines have stray voltages in them. They are not a clean +5V. I don't know how it gets there, but it's likely crosstalk or RFI, or lower quality PSU RFI.

Some of it would be RFI I guess as quality PC sound cards have RFI shielding.

Sorry I had to edit this post, as at first I misunderstood you question.

Whatever though, the Jitterbug cleans the power lines of the USB data cable from PC to Mojo. That's how it works. Regardless of the fact that the device is called a Jitterbug, it has no effect on Jitter. Chord DACs are immune to Jitter though, as they re-clock the incoming samples so no worries there.

NB: I added a picture to my above post.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #39,465 of 42,765
I've only got a short toslink cable you see. I may have to buy a longer one.
Maybe I am being pedantic, but SPDIF is a protocol that applies to both coaxial plus optical.
I found that with usb I was able to remove almost all electrical noise using a ferrite, but using optical removed all the noise.
I have never tried coaxial, because optical solved all my issues, but Kabeldirekt produce good optical cables, at cheap prices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back