Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 16, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #38,941 of 42,759
I think it's just the Mojo's sonic characteristic, which looks a bit like this...

...without showing itself in the FR measurements. Personally I don't care, I equalize anyway (and recommend this to anybody instead of relying on component synergy).

And BTW, a lot of IEMs have a midbass accentuation, maybe stronger than with full-size headphones, where it's also a quasi-norm.

I do think that this is somewhat what Mojo sounds like, stronger bass and mid bass, strong-ish forward-ish midrange, and more lean treble :)

Jul 18, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #38,942 of 42,759
It’s comments like these from Reddit that make me feel like yes indeed the Apocalypse is finally upon us:

“FWIW. I have been using the Chord Mojo. A £400 DAC. I recently did a blind test with a friend against the iphone dongle. Neither of us could detect a scintilla of difference. I have since been very happily using the iPhone alone. This with a pair of CIEM's. For my full size 600's I use an O2 amp that I think cost me about £60. I am sick to death of the amount of nonsense in this hobby. My advice is to save your money and enjoy your music. The only worthwhile upgrade I ever made was the headphones. Once the electronics are at a certain level further improvement is tiny if present at all.”

Jul 18, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #38,943 of 42,759
It’s comments like these from Reddit that make me feel like yes indeed the Apocalypse is finally upon us:

“FWIW. I have been using the Chord Mojo. A £400 DAC. I recently did a blind test with a friend against the iphone dongle. Neither of us could detect a scintilla of difference. I have since been very happily using the iPhone alone. This with a pair of CIEM's. For my full size 600's I use an O2 amp that I think cost me about £60. I am sick to death of the amount of nonsense in this hobby. My advice is to save your money and enjoy your music. The only worthwhile upgrade I ever made was the headphones. Once the electronics are at a certain level further improvement is tiny if present at all.”

What does it matter what other people think of the Mojo, or any other piece of audio equipment for that matter? Besides, reddit is a cesspool of objectivists that suckle at the tit of ASR.

Jul 18, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #38,944 of 42,759

I find blind testing, or rather A-B testing the hardest way to determine difference. I find it way more successful to listen to one source for ages (days/weeks) and get used to it. Getting also used to your favourite tracks on it. Then swap over to the other DAC.

Secondly I would say try the iPhone straight into an amp and speakers, then the DAC. (That could easily articulate and any possible differences in sound stage.)

Having said that though, there has been a lot of praise of the iPhone sound signature for some time. I bet though in the end you would prefer the Mojo. It took me a good few weeks before I was hooked with Mojo. After maybe ten days/two weeks I was most of the way there. After a few weeks, listening to anything else was hopeless, and all was not right in the universe.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #38,945 of 42,759

Some people genuinely can't hear a difference with separate dacs but Apple and Samung phones are among the best I've heard for headphone output, most others are just weak and grainy.

Jul 19, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #38,946 of 42,759
To do well in these things you need,

1. A natural interest in the differences in sound between components, I have friends who do well in classical music with superb ears who don't care for HiFi.
2. A strong reference of how music 'should' sound to be true to the source.
3. High quality transducers.
4. High quality source material and then,
5. Building experience over years of listening before you can be consistent in what you want to hear, and how components and transducers differ.

The subset of hifi listeners with all five in place is a small minority and that's fine. Objectivists and naysayers to subtle differences in SQ aren't lying, they're just working on their own experience and beliefs.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #38,947 of 42,759
To do well in these things you need,

1. A natural interest in the differences in sound between components, I have friends who do well in classical music with superb ears who don't care for HiFi.
2. A strong reference of how music 'should' sound to be true to the source.
3. High quality transducers.
4. High quality source material and then,
5. Building experience over years of listening before you can be consistent in what you want to hear, and how components and transducers differ.

The subset of hifi listeners with all five in place is a small minority and that's fine. Objectivists and naysayers to subtle differences in SQ aren't lying, they're just working on their own experience and beliefs.

Agreed.

There is a natural tendency for people to justify/defend why they only like “budget” devices. Sometimes fiercely. There is an equal tendency for those who buy high end gear to justify/defend their choices as well. Sometimes being quite condescending/elitist. When all is said and done, if you’re happy with AirPods and AAC, great! You’ll save a ton of cash. Conversely, if you’re only happy with multi thousand dollar cans driven by house-priced separates, all power to you. The tricky bit is realizing that your decision and preference is only yours. Personally I love my Poly/Mojo/Shure kse1200 stack. To me, this is a perfect combo. I certainly won’t criticize someone who spends 1/10th on their rig and feels as happy.

I’d also like to point out (being a former orchestral musician) a musician’s hearing isn't better than anyone else. I would go as far to say it is worse in some cases due to the exposure to loud instruments. Also, I suspect very few people enjoy true “neutral sound” or “reference” sound. Maybe that’s why your friends don’t like Hifi since neutrality and uncolored presentation are synonymous with HiFi.

Jul 22, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #38,948 of 42,759
Agreed.

There is a natural tendency for people to justify/defend why they only like “budget” devices. Sometimes fiercely. There is an equal tendency for those who buy high end gear to justify/defend their choices as well. Sometimes being quite condescending/elitist. When all is said and done, if you’re happy with AirPods and AAC, great! You’ll save a ton of cash. Conversely, if you’re only happy with multi thousand dollar cans driven by house-priced separates, all power to you. The tricky bit is realizing that your decision and preference is only yours. Personally I love my Poly/Mojo/Shure kse1200 stack. To me, this is a perfect combo. I certainly won’t criticize someone who spends 1/10th on their rig and feels as happy.

I’d also like to point out (being a former orchestral musician) a musician’s hearing isn't better than anyone else. I would go as far to say it is worse in some cases due to the exposure to loud instruments. Also, I suspect very few people enjoy true “neutral sound” or “reference” sound. Maybe that’s why your friends don’t like Hifi since neutrality and uncolored presentation are synonymous with HiFi.

Very nice summary!
Regarding musicians I can't speak about their hearing, but I do trust their judgment more than others, because they have their experience with life music (I am thinking of classic and acoustic) as a reference which should allow them to better judge the quality of a system.

Jul 22, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #38,949 of 42,759
Very nice summary!
Regarding musicians I can't speak about their hearing, but I do trust their judgment more than others, because they have their experience with life music (I am thinking of classic and acoustic) as a reference which should allow them to better judge the quality of a system.

I should clarify. I was comparing a musician to the afore mentioned audio enthusiast who has listened and compared live music to different components and transducers. I agree someone immersed in live acoustic should be a darn good reference. At least if their tinnitus isn’t too bad.:)

Jul 23, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #38,950 of 42,759
Hi guys!
I’m considering buying a Mojo to use with my iPhone to drive both open-backs and IEM’s, however, I also really like the idea of using solely a DAP for portable use — does anyone have any suggestions for DAP’s (~$1000 and under) that would be comparable to the Mojo?

Thanks so much!

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #38,951 of 42,759
Hi guys!
I’m considering buying a Mojo to use with my iPhone to drive both open-backs and IEM’s, however, I also really like the idea of using solely a DAP for portable use — does anyone have any suggestions for DAP’s (~$1000 and under) that would be comparable to the Mojo?

Thanks so much!

The general consensus seems to be that nothing really compares to the Mojo.

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #38,952 of 42,759
Hi guys!

Thanks so much!
I've been using my Mojo with an iPhone X running iOS 13 Beta and this cable: http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html (Meenova on eBay). It works without the CCK and sounds amazing, particularly when the Cellular RF radio, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth are turned off in Airplane Mode and the phone in Low Power mode). Seriously good!

I also have a ferrite core on my Etymotic ER4S headphone cable going into the Mojo next to the plug. I'm using Tidal (offline) to get this sound quality. It's hard to get all of that in a DAP as well as the engineering of the Mojo, unless you go with Mojo+Poly.

Meenova.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #38,953 of 42,759
Hi guys!

Thanks so much!

You'll have to pay more than $1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back