Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 12, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #38,926 of 42,765
Hi @c0rp1
Mojo ideas passed your message over to me to look at. We did receive your email sent to our support and responded but we didn't get any reply back. Possibly because we attached our return for repair form that might have caused the email to go to spam.
Anyway lets see if we can sort this out for you. If you PM me we can talk further.

Matt

Thanks for the reply Matt,

sent you a PM.

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #38,927 of 42,765
Hello,

I would like to use my FiiO X3 as a transport for my Mojo.

I'm looking for the right cable to connect X3's 3.5mm coaxial out to Mojo's 3.5mm coax SPDIF in, but can't figure out which one to use (I only find coax to TOSLINK or RCA cables on Amazon).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jul 15, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #38,928 of 42,765
Jul 15, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #38,929 of 42,765
Hello,

I would like to use my FiiO X3 as a transport for my Mojo.

I'm looking for the right cable to connect X3's 3.5mm coaxial out to Mojo's 3.5mm coax SPDIF in, but can't figure out which one to use (I only find coax to TOSLINK or RCA cables on Amazon).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Technically, you'd want a correct impedance (75Ω) coax, but over a short distance, probably any mono 3.5mm TS patch cable cable would work.

Jul 15, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #38,930 of 42,765
Jul 15, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #38,931 of 42,765
Cric...

...I believe you're talking of the X3 (V1), not the X3 II. So above cable recommendations seem to be wrong – since the original X3 doesn't have the combined line out/digital out socket, but separate sockets, so doesn't call for a 4-pole coaxial plug. What you need instead is a simple mono cable with 3.5 mm plugs at both ends, as I see it.

I never owned the X3 (V1), but just consulted the user manual.

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #38,932 of 42,765
Hello @JaZZ ,

Cric...

...I believe you're talking of the X3 (V1), not the X3 II. So above cable recommendations seem to be wrong – since the original X3 doesn't have the combined line out/digital out socket, but separate sockets, so doesn't call for a 4-pole coaxial plug. What you need instead is a simple mono cable with 3.5 mm plugs at both ends, as I see it.

I never owned the X3 (V1), but just consulted the user manual.

You are correct, I own the very first version of the X3.
Thanks for checking in the manual!
I found this cable on Amazon (hope it's the right one), there must be short... on short cables (can't find a cable under a meter, 10 to 20 cm should be much sufficient for my use).

Jul 15, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #38,933 of 42,765
I just found a dedicated digital cable available in 25 cm. (The one you linked would work as well.)

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #38,936 of 42,765
Output impedance of mojo is extremely low. Lower the source output impedance, better it drives the load. There is a frequency vs impedance curve for the driver. For some frequencies the impedance of driver dips too low . Obviously if source impedance is not adequately low it will not be able to 'push' the driver for those frequencies. So some frequencies will start dominating others. Since mojo already has very low source impedance it will drive for all frequencies without favouring or discarding any specific frequencies. So with mojo your iem has just been driven right. If you are habitual of other not so low output impedance DAPs you may find mojo favouring some frequencies which is not actually the case. For this phenomena Iems are more affected because of already low impedance.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #38,937 of 42,765
Output impedance of mojo is extremely low. Lower the source output impedance, better it drives the load. There is a frequency vs impedance curve for the driver. For some frequencies the impedance of driver dips too low . Obviously if source impedance is not adequately low it will not be able to 'push' the driver for those frequencies. So some frequencies will start dominating others. Since mojo already has very low source impedance it will drive for all frequencies without favouring or discarding any specific frequencies. So with mojo your iem has just been driven right. If you are habitual of other not so low output impedance DAPs you may find mojo favouring some frequencies which is not actually the case. For this phenomena Iems are more affected because of already low impedance.

Hugo2 has lower output impedance than mojo but doesn't do the same thing to mid bass.

Jul 16, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #38,939 of 42,765
Perhaps because of lack of current with the full size headphones, or more RF interference?

Same Current output for both, 500mA, which is quite respectable. Besides it’s the efficient IEMs that will draw more Current than higher impedance headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #38,940 of 42,765
I think it's just the Mojo's sonic characteristic, which looks a bit like this...

Mojo-Soundcharacteristic.JPG

...without showing itself in the FR measurements. Personally I don't care, I equalize anyway (and recommend this to anybody instead of relying on component synergy).

And BTW, a lot of IEMs have a midbass accentuation, maybe stronger than with full-size headphones, where it's also a quasi-norm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back