Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jul 11, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #38,911 of 42,759
Just how primitive are the menus?
I will be interested to hear your feedback about how the optical output performs.
:slight_smile:

You browse by artist or album in simple lists. There is album artwork showing on playback so that's nice.

FgnZhJP.jpg

No wheels or shortcuts, you click click click your way around. It's primitive but no complaints about what's actually there, it's all intuitive.

Optical sounds best (and by that I mean smoothest, void of any hardness or treble grain) but there's very little in it compared to coax (that has a subtle glare). If I AB gapless I spot it, if I didn't I would have limited confidence in a blind test.

Using the mini Toslink out of my Macbook Pro the sound is actually quite similar to the Xduoo, and better than USB out of either the Xduoo or Macbook with iDefender. Audibly cleaner, and strangely in a temporal sense too where USB comes off as a bit loose and flabby. Moving the Toslink plug from Macbook to Xduoo everything's just a bit more clear so it does have a benefit compared to a galvanically isolated connection to the computer. For whatever reason I notice it mostly with sounds that are mixed to either side of the middle when AB listening. They are more clearly positioned and just more easily digested with the Xduoo.

I'm pretty happy, it's a nice compact pair and it's the best I've heard from the Mojo. It doesn't floor me with some subjective 'magic', it's just clean, quiet and articulate. Cymbals ring out without grain or fizz and the standout difference for me is that subtle things that I'm used to hearing as a homogenous mass are better separated in width and depth with a more quiet backdrop.

The best transport I've used at length was a battery powered Allo Digione (first version, non signature) and while I can't fault the Xduoo with any sort of specifics I don't think it quite reaches that level of effortless liquidity. But then again not much (nothing?) below $1k does and this one can be used on the go, so I won't complain :)

Jul 11, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #38,912 of 42,759
You browse by artist or album in simple lists. There is album artwork showing on playback so that's nice.

FgnZhJP.jpg

No wheels or shortcuts, you click click click your way around. It's primitive but no complaints about what's actually there, it's all intuitive.

Optical sounds best (and by that I mean smoothest, void of any hardness or treble grain) but there's very little in it compared to coax (that has a subtle glare). If I AB gapless I spot it, if I didn't I would have limited confidence in a blind test.

Using the mini Toslink out of my Macbook Pro the sound is actually quite similar to the Xduoo, and better than USB out of either the Xduoo or Macbook with iDefender. Audibly cleaner, and strangely in a temporal sense too where USB comes off as a bit loose and flabby. Moving the Toslink plug from Macbook to Xduoo everything's just a bit more clear so it does have a benefit compared to a galvanically isolated connection to the computer. For whatever reason I notice it mostly with sounds that are mixed to either side of the middle when AB listening. They are more clearly positioned and just more easily digested with the Xduoo.

I'm pretty happy, it's a nice compact pair and it's the best I've heard from the Mojo. It doesn't floor me with some subjective 'magic', it's just clean, quiet and articulate. Cymbals ring out without grain or fizz and the standout difference for me is that subtle things that I'm used to hearing as a homogenous mass are better separated in width and depth with a more quiet backdrop.

The best transport I've used at length was a battery powered Allo Digione (first version, non signature) and while I can't fault the Xduoo with any sort of specifics I don't think it quite reaches that level of effortless liquidity. But then again not much (nothing?) below $1k does and this one can be used on the go, so I won't complain :)
What headphones are u using? Also can u elaborate difference between USB sound and optical sound?

Jul 11, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #38,913 of 42,759
What headphones are u using? Also can u elaborate difference between USB sound and optical sound?

Sennheiser HD 600 90% of the time, that's the teeny stock cable you're seeing.

YMMV but I get noise with USB, cleaners help to some degree but moving to optical removes it altogether. And I'm not talking pops or static or anything, just a very slightly diffused quality to the sound and a grain that shows most clearly as subtle fizz in the sibilant region. Cymbal work etc just sounds more open and natural with optical or coax. The very same issues that make a truly poor source sound like crap, just to a more subtle degree.

I'm sure there are high end USB sources and inputs out there that clean up all interference but the ones I've tried so far all had this certain "structure" introduced from noise with USB.

I challenge this assertion thoroughly with every new purchase fwiw and have for 10+ years, even before posting this I did some AB switching.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #38,914 of 42,759
Hey everyone,

Have a Chord Mojo, which I've used with its USB input only. Last week I decided to try its optical input for some reason. It worked without any issues, but while unplugging the cable, the lid that covers the input fell. Upon further inspecting it, I saw that a tiny part of the plastic surrounding the input had broken, so there's no way to put the lid back into place. That sadly makes the optical input totally useless, cause the lid somehow keeps the cable in the socket and without it, the cable just plugs itself out. Here's a photo of the input at the moment - https://imgur.com/a/ayZUD3d .

I bought the unit used about an year ago and it has no warranty. Furthermore I'm not from the UK, so can't just bring it somewhere for repair. Tried contacting Chord by email (their only form of contact from the website) twice already, but no response whatsoever.

Any idea if I can somehow fix this myself, or how exactly to proceed when the manufacturer is not responding at all to my emails?

Thank you in advance!

Jul 11, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #38,915 of 42,759
Hey everyone,

Have a Chord Mojo, which I've used with its USB input only. Last week I decided to try its optical input for some reason. It worked without any issues, but while unplugging the cable, the lid that covers the input fell. Upon further inspecting it, I saw that a tiny part of the plastic surrounding the input had broken, so there's no way to put the lid back into place. That sadly makes the optical input totally useless, cause the lid somehow keeps the cable in the socket and without it, the cable just plugs itself out. Here's a photo of the input at the moment - https://imgur.com/a/ayZUD3d .

I bought the unit used about an year ago and it has no warranty. Furthermore I'm not from the UK, so can't just bring it somewhere for repair. Tried contacting Chord by email (their only form of contact from the website) twice already, but no response whatsoever.

Any idea if I can somehow fix this myself, or how exactly to proceed when the manufacturer is not responding at all to my emails?

Thank you in advance!
Sorry to hear about your issue with optical, which is my preferred input.
I am surprised that the plug will not work without the lid, but I have never tried that scenario.
Which chord email did you use, because occasionally owners use the chord cables email by mistake?

Jul 11, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #38,916 of 42,759
Sorry to hear about your issue with optical, which is my preferred input.
I am surprised that the plug will not work without the lid, but I have never tried that scenario.
Which chord email did you use, because occasionally owners use the chord cables email by mistake?

support@chordelectronics.co.uk

I also thought the optical would be usable even if the lid is broken, cause have seen many adds for audio equipment (not Chord) having the same issue, but mentioning that the input is totally usable. In my case the cable just doesn't stay inside the input any more. Tried to put the lid in its place (it's wobbly of course and falls almost immediately) and then put the cable - that way it worked, but not really a workaround...

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #38,917 of 42,759
support@chordelectronics.co.uk

I also thought the optical would be usable even if the lid is broken, cause have seen many adds for audio equipment (not Chord) having the same issue, but mentioning that the input is totally usable. In my case the cable just doesn't stay inside the input any more. Tried to put the lid in its place (it's wobbly of course and falls almost immediately) and then put the cable - that way it worked, but not really a workaround...
OK, so you have used the correct email, so I am disappointed that no-one from Chord got back in touch with you. :disappointed:
Given that your cable will not stay in position, it looks like a new socket may be required.
Let's explore some potential ways forward for you, to recover the enjoyment that you were having with your Mojo.
  • If you are uncomfortable with DIY, then a return to Chord or a service centre for repair is necessary. There are enough posts about Chord going the extra mile to support owners, so maybe a solution can be found - any suggestions @Mojo ideas
  • If you are comfortable with DIY, then from memory I think it is possible to replace the optical socket, but I will have to search for the links.

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #38,918 of 42,759
OK, so you have used the correct email, so I am disappointed that no-one from Chord got back in touch with you. :disappointed:
Given that your cable will not stay in position, it looks like a new socket may be required.
Let's explore some potential ways forward for you, to recover the enjoyment that you were having with your Mojo.
  • If you are uncomfortable with DIY, then a return to Chord or a service centre for repair is necessary. There are enough posts about Chord going the extra mile to support owners, so maybe a solution can be found - any suggestions @Mojo ideas
  • If you are comfortable with DIY, then from memory I think it is possible to replace the optical socket, but I will have to search for the links.

I would try to source an optical socket elsewhere if possible. In my case, the quoted price was higher than than me buying a complete Mojo.

On the other hand, why spend money to fix a product with an expected lifetime of less than 2 years :frowning2:

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #38,919 of 42,759
I would try to source an optical socket elsewhere if possible. In my case, the quoted price was higher than than me buying a complete Mojo.

On the other hand, why spend money to fix a product with an expected lifetime of less than 2 years :frowning2:
I agree with you that the price quoted by some service centres can be eye-watering.
The audio produced by Chord dacs is so good, that if repair via warranty is impossible, then I try to identify a cheaper way forward.
Hopefully Chord will respond to my earlier post.

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #38,920 of 42,759
I agree with you that the price quoted by some service centres can be eye-watering.
The audio produced by Chord dacs is so good, that if repair via warranty is impossible, then I try to identify a cheaper way forward.
Hopefully Chord will respond to my earlier post.

The quote I got was not from a service center but from Chord themselves, and it was for the replacement part only, no service or installation. I would have to perform that myself. Just to be clear.

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #38,921 of 42,759

I'm totally comfortable with DIY, so if there's a fix possible, I'll surely prefer to do it myself, rather then send it, cause paying double the shipping cost to and back from UK + the eventual cost of repair would hit my wallet pretty bad.

A bit angry that I couldn't find the missing piece that broke, but it was so small... I could have tried to glue it or something, not sure if it would have helped though.

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #38,922 of 42,759
I'm totally comfortable with DIY, so if there's a fix possible, I'll surely prefer to do it myself, rather then send it, cause paying double the shipping cost to and back from UK + the eventual cost of repair would hit my wallet pretty bad.

A bit angry that I couldn't find the missing piece that broke, but it was so small... I could have tried to glue it or something, not sure if it would have helped though.
Can you post a photo of the broken part?

Jul 12, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #38,924 of 42,759
Linked it in my original post, but here's it again (the top left part near the "O"):

Hi @c0rp1
Mojo ideas passed your message over to me to look at. We did receive your email sent to our support and responded but we didn't get any reply back. Possibly because we attached our return for repair form that might have caused the email to go to spam.
Anyway lets see if we can sort this out for you. If you PM me we can talk further.

Matt

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #38,925 of 42,759

This I don't understand. We would never quote more than the retail price for Mojo just for an optical socket. Can you PM the details so I can investigate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back