Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 24, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #38,807 of 42,765
Just to clarify the thermal pad is actually an isolator to prevent warm electronics from heating the battery. The pad has two functions - to clamp the battery to the top metal case, ensuring that the battery temperature is always at the top case temp - and to ensure that the irregular electronics underneath can't damage the battery body. There is absolutely no circumstance where the battery temp will exceed the rated temp with the device being on or charged, as the multiple thermal trips will go well before that.

Thanks for the clarification Rob! Definitely appreciated!

Jun 24, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #38,808 of 42,765
Someone will ignore this and still try to attach a liquid cooling unit to Mojo.

I do have a few closed loop cpu water coolers sitting in a box....

Nah, I'm not that crazy. The tower cooler works well enough, even if it's not necessary.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #38,809 of 42,765
Go closed loop if you want. Your prerogative.

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #38,810 of 42,765
Go closed loop if you want. Your prerogative.

Nah, it doesn't get that hot. If it was too hot to touch or ran hot all the time, then maybe. Plus I'd have to power the pump with a seperate power supply which is just too much to deal with. Thanks for trying to egg me on though lol.

I know most of you think I'm crazy, but in reality I just set a cooler on top of the mojo. It literally takes a second and it keeps it cool while it charges. I'm not obsessing over the heat output and I don't think it's necessary to do all the time. I just found it strange to get so much pushback from people here, considering the crazy lengths some of these guys go to to get marginally (at best) better sound quality. I didn't spend any money to achieve this, it was sitting in a box in my basement and I threw it on.

Jun 25, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #38,813 of 42,765
Just my two cents, but wouldn't a fan on top of Mojo emit some sort of sound quality disturbing EMI?

I'm not using a fan on the cpu cooler. Just the sheer mass of it with the heatpipes (although I doubt there's enough heat for the heatpipes to actually do anything) are what's keeping it cool. Plus I'd have to power the fan somehow and I don't want to mess with all that.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #38,814 of 42,765
I think we're doing it all wrong and we need a bucket of non-conductive cooling liquid to just drop the Mojo into:

2018-02-27_18.30.33_678x452.jpg

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #38,815 of 42,765
Someone will ignore this and still try to attach a liquid cooling unit to Mojo.
Well, Rob just stated that there won't be any physical damage to the battery (even without extra cooling measures). However, I expect the battery life to be considerably extended by preventing the battery from unnecessary heat, so I think additional cooling does make sense – even in cases where it looks like overkill.

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #38,816 of 42,765
Never applied any additional cooling during my 3.5 years with Mojo. I use it every work days for many hours. It stays off on weekends as I have a decent speaker system with other Chord gear :-D
Just avoid charging and using at the same time. It became a habit, as I push the power button on, I unplug the power and when I power it down I plug it back in. Yes, I use it in desktop mode only too.

Looking at that CPU cooler makes me cringe. Have you ever try to touch an uncooled CPU few seconds after boot up, you'd know what it is for. There is no reason to do it to Mojo unless to proof you can be as nuts as possible. Common sense seem to be gone.

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #38,817 of 42,765
Never applied any additional cooling during my 3.5 years with Mojo. I use it every work days for many hours. It stays off on weekends as I have a decent speaker system with other Chord gear :-D
Just avoid charging and using at the same time. It became a habit, as I push the power button on, I unplug the power and when I power it down I plug it back in. Yes, I use it in desktop mode only too.

Looking at that CPU cooler makes me cringe. Have you ever try to touch an uncooled CPU few seconds after boot up, you'd know what it is for. There is no reason to do it to Mojo unless to proof you can be as nuts as possible. Common sense seem to be gone.

Why are so many people butt-hurt that one dude decided to put a big CPU cooler on their Mojo? It kept it cooler, goal accomplished.

Don't like it? Don't do it. Simple as that.

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #38,818 of 42,765
I also think it's a good idea to use a CPU passive cooler to extend Mojo's battery life in desktop mode, altough the positive impact may not be huge. Each power amplifier has one or two inside to cool down the transistors BTW. The guy has one available, has the willing to experiment and... why not? I would never use a fan because of EMI emissions and noise, but Audiotistic has stated that he's not using it either.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #38,819 of 42,765
...and you can get the HiBy 3,5mm coax cable for a smoother sound if preferred.
I have both and have been using them alternatively.
The FIIO CL06 is a cheaper alternative to the Shanling L2, and I don't remember hearing a difference. The L2 looks much better though :)

Shanling L2 automatically blocks charging Port while playing music. My mojo is 3 years old and still get around 8 hrs with a full charge. I do have HiBy 3,5mm coax cable but it is doesn't sound crisp. I like it crisp

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #38,820 of 42,765
Shanling L2 automatically blocks charging Port while playing music. My mojo is 3 years old and still get around 8 hrs with a full charge. I do have HiBy 3,5mm coax cable but it is doesn't sound crisp. I like it crisp
Going back through this thread i noticed that some folks had complained that the Mojo lacks bass and some others said it had enough bass. Mine has a strange problem. When I switch it on and for the first 3-5 mins it has excellent tight controlled fat(everything right ) bass. After this time, slowly bass becomes loose, and losse all of its body, and like some other folks complained I could only barely hear the bass.I can feel the beoplay h6's diaphragms flying when I start , that vibration thing on ear is there, but after time I mentioned, there is no such thing. I also, tried unplugging my headphones, and waiting for a while bass is back again. Then again after 3-5 mins its feeble. Some caps must be fried. I tried with my Tin audio T2 iem, and results were same. Bass in the beginning, then it fades away, its basically everything that requires power fades away, Vocals loose authority and male voices also becomes feeble.

battery life is still around 8 hours, so I suspect it not.

Anyone else ever had this problem? Is chords service good outside UK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back