Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 18, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #38,537 of 42,759
Apr 18, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #38,538 of 42,759
I‘m not interested in what the most music on tidal is. What I know is that many MQA titles I‘m listening to (not very old classical records, pretty recent vocal jazz records) are for sure not taken from old analog tapes :) With this kind of reasoning, there is no point in hi-res altogether...

And for sure technically those records in MQA are better than just redbook. It‘s not only because of the resolution. To a large part it is due to a filtering issues, as with those MQA encoded records the cut-off frequency moves from 22kHz (where some audible artifacts can be perceived) to 48kHz, where possible artifacts would bother no one, but bats, e.g. I don't care about 3dB loss at 47kHz that might occur due to usage of a slow roll-off filter.... :)
Explain how the same record taken from the same analogue master tape can sound better as an MQA file than it does on red book cd please.

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #38,539 of 42,759
Who says redbook is soo inferior? But now we are again starting neverending fight whether hires does make any sense in audio at all or it‘s all imagination at work... Actually, I wouldn‘t even say redbook is so inferior to lossless hires. A little bit, yes, and you really need some TOTL headphones just in order to be able to hear the difference, and the rest of the chain needs to be adequate as well...
All this misses the point that I made earlier, a music file can only be as good as whatever analogue master its taken from. So a hires file from an analogue master achieves a large digital file that is only as good as an analogue master tape at best with the tapes dynamic range. Making a larger digital file like 24/192 for example just makes a bigger file with no improvement in sound. Have a read through articles that this professional music man writes as it cuts through the snake oil and hires myth and tells the truth. http://www.realhd-audio.com/?cat=45

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #38,541 of 42,759
Explain how the same record taken from the same analogue master tape can sound better as an MQA file than it does on red book cd please.

I thought I already did? Redbook content requires a cut-off frequency of 22KHz, and filters implemented at that frequency can create audible artifacts. Any hires (no matter whether it‘s lossless or lossy like MQA) has a cut-off frequency way above 40kHz. It‘s much less critical. E.g. a slow roll-off filter at 22kHz will create audible treble roll-off (softer highs) while the same type of filter with a cut-off frequency above 40kHz will also roll-off highs, but at frequencies way beyond those a human being can perceive....

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #38,542 of 42,759
I thought I already did? Redbook content requires a cut-off frequency of 22KHz, and filters implemented at that frequency can create audible artifacts. Any hires (no matter whether it‘s lossless or lossy like MQA) has a cut-off frequency way above 40kHz. It‘s much less critical. E.g. a slow roll-off filter at 22kHz will create audible treble roll-off (softer highs) while the same type of filter with a cut-off frequency above 40kHz will also roll-off highs, but at frequencies way beyond those a human being can perceive....
So firstly if the human cannot hear it then it is a moot point and secondly how high in KHz is the original analogue master tape? Because that will set the limit on any hires file at any size.

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #38,545 of 42,759
And what exactly is your problem with that? It‘s a tabu word for Mojo followers? Jehovah-Jehovah-Jehovah :)
Nope as I said earlier I was responding to a post that asked why MQA is not on the Mojo. And of course I don't like people being misled and spending money on things that are questionable and often are snake oil. This is another article worth reading. http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6448 I fully understand using MQA for broadband bandwidth issues but saying that its better sound on a like for like file is misleading.

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #38,547 of 42,759
Which proof? It‘s not some wired theories, it‘s kind of a basic knowledge. It‘s also the whole underlying theory with Mojo and other Chord‘s products. Well, with hires, the impact of filtering is getting much less relevant, because the cut-off frequency is so much higher...

Just google some key words like brickwall filter, minimum phase filter, apodizing filter, slow roll-off, fast roll-off... There is a reason why there are so many, and there are endless discussions which one sounds better... Well, with hires it all doesn‘t really matter much and you can use some pretty simple filters because the cut-off frequency is so high, and there is actually not much going there beyond 40kHz in a world of music anyway...

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #38,548 of 42,759
Which proof? It‘s not some wired theories, it‘s kind of a basic knowledge. It‘s also the whole underlying theory with Mojo and other Chord‘s products. Well, with hires, the impact of filtering is getting much less relevant, because the cut-off frequency is so much higher...

Just google some key words like brickwall filter, minimum phase filter, apodizing filter, slow roll-off, fast roll-off... There is a reason why there are so many, and there are endless discussions which one sounds better... Well, with hires it all doesn‘t really matter much and you can use some pretty simple filters because the cut-off frequency is so high, and there is actually not much going there beyond 40kHz in a world of music anyway...
Yes I know about the filtering my question was in the light that a human ear cannot hear above 20KHz (even in most teenagers) then where is the proof that you can hear artifacts when a filter cuts off above 22KHz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back