Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 7, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #38,318 of 42,759
well i was planning to buy Poly for Mojo to use as Roon End point. However with the posts on high cost of battery replacement i don't think it makes sense to me to invest in an accessory for Mojo which is with me for past 3.5 years and is used on day to day basis as my DAC with few monthly breaks in between when i get too involved in other hobbies. Although I take care of Mojo like I make sure to not charge and play to keep device temperature minimal and I charge it after draining off battery but i feel battery has its own life and with care i can extend it but can't keep it going forever. With reports of $200 charge for battery replacement I am not sure what will i do with my Mojo once its battery is gone. May be use it as a desktop DAC connected with charger all the time. Does it have any effect on sound?so in case if i have to use Mojo as desktop DAC then instead of Polly I can invest in device like Digione Signature player based on Raspberry Pi
Indeed I will not buy any further chord products with battery like poly until there is a clear and affordable battery replacement program

Don’t mean to be negative but money is money and I ain’t got money to waste

Here in Germany I would have to pay 150 € for a mojo battery change. That's really not a lie, it is just what the german distribution of Chord via e-mail told me so.

Mar 7, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #38,319 of 42,759
With apologies to Tommy Cooper;
I went to the hifi dealer the other day,
I said 'the sound becomes thin when i move the cable like this'
he said ' well don't do it'

http://www.mkccc.com/humour/t.htm
Well the thing is, I have to adjust the cable to stay in that position every few minutes, otherwise the sound gets a bit thinned out again.

I don't think it's placebo; I also pointed out a few months ago that the 3.5mm outputs sound a bit different from each other, and I asked Rob Watts and he confirmed that that was true, since one had a larger PCB trace than the other output.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #38,321 of 42,759
I was wondering when this battery situation was going to blow up.

Currently the cost of replacing the battery in the Mojo is way out of line with the cost of the battery and the minimal amount of labour involved. Apple, as despicable on pricing as they are, currently only charge around $50, including work, for a battery replacement in an iPhone 6 or later.

The work to replace a battery in an iPhone is around 30 to 45 minutes for a trained technician. On the other hand the work to replace the battery in the Mojo is around 5 minutes for an average guy who knows how to hold screwdriver.

So basically Chord is screwing its customers given that a LiPo batteries will often and expectedly fail within their specified lifetime.

My Mojo is now battery free, and I'm sure as hell not going to bother replacing the battery as it works fine on USB power alone.
It's not even just the batteries that they're doing this for. As I explained my issues with my Mojo a few pages back (both of my 3.5mm jacks on the Mojo no longer work) it would cost me $200 to repair that.

My Mojo has been sent twice before this for it's USB slot no longer working, difference is both of those times I was covered under the two year warranty. Even then it was a bit of a hassle with the representative because he wouldn't believe at first that the Mojo was faulty and kept suggesting it was the USB cables I was using and not the "high quality outputs." Once that warranty wore off in April 2018 I was my own it seems. 2 years seems kinda like bull to me for a device like this but that's only my opinion.

A shame because prior to it being in the unusable that it is, I loved the sound and used it from all my headphones, to my ear buds and even the car when I was using an Aux cord in the car instead of USB. Was even considering a Poly after saving for a long time, but now this is likely going to be my last Chord product unless something extraordinary happens to change that disposition.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #38,322 of 42,759
It's not even just the batteries that they're doing this for. As I explained my issues with my Mojo a few pages back (both of my 3.5mm jacks on the Mojo no longer work) it would cost me $200 to repair that.

My Mojo has been sent twice before this for it's USB slot no longer working, difference is both of those times I was covered under the two year warranty. Even then it was a bit of a hassle with the representative because he wouldn't believe at first that the Mojo was faulty and kept suggesting it was the USB cables I was using and not the "high quality outputs." Once that warranty wore off in April 2018 I was my own it seems. 2 years seems kinda like bull**** to me for a device like this but that's only my opinion.

A shame because prior to it being in the unusable that it is, I loved the sound and used it from all my headphones, to my ear buds and even the car when I was using an Aux cord in the car instead of USB. Was even considering a Poly after saving for a long time, but now this is likely going to be my last Chord product unless something extraordinary happens to change that disposition.
Have a read of this, sounds to me that you are still covered by this law. https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #38,323 of 42,759
Just picked up a brand new Mojo from Amazon, and it definitely looks like old stock. Lots of shelf wear on box, multiple Amazon stickers on top of each other, and the label boasts awards in 2015 from What Hi-Fi (it also won the same award in 2018, which I imagine current stock boasts), and EISA award for 2016-2017. I am curious if there have been any changes in the last 2 years that should compel me to send this back and demand current stock?

Mar 9, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #38,324 of 42,759
Just picked up a brand new Mojo from Amazon, and it definitely looks like old stock. Lots of shelf wear on box, multiple Amazon stickers on top of each other, and the label boasts awards in 2015 from What Hi-Fi (it also won the same award in 2018, which I imagine current stock boasts), and EISA award for 2016-2017. I am curious if there have been any changes in the last 2 years that should compel me to send this back and demand current stock?
That question came up before, and Rob Watts replied that there were no significant changes.
If the battery is ok I would not worry. Mine looked a bit like that too, and it’s been going strong for a year :)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #38,325 of 42,759

The only difference I’m aware of is the black casing is darker now, at launch is was more like chalk board black. You can see it in some mojo poly pics there is a mis match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back