Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 16, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #38,176 of 42,759
Just got back from running a blind test with a switch box between Mojo and iPhone dongle. Result. No discernable difference.
Honestly, before I got the Audioquest Jitterbug and ferrite choke USB cable, the Mojo wasn't that much better than my laptop onboard soundcard. Yeah it was better, but not WAY better like the price would suggest.

My laptop soundcard was even smoother and more full bodied at the vocals, while the Mojo was better everywhere else.

However, with the Jitterbug and cable, my immediate thought was ''I understand why it's priced that way now''. The sound is just one of realism now, and extremely smooth at that. Just addicting, worthy of endgame.

I first thought to myself ''Well, my laptop is from 2017, so the additional USB noise can't make that much of a difference?'' but no, it just made that much of a positive improvement.

Feb 17, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #38,180 of 42,759
I have spent four year listening to Mojo convinced of that. I call expectation bias and placebo. Put simply, wishful thinking.
Do you regret the last four years? It sounds fairly tragic.
Maybe your hearings a bit messed up due to a cold or something in the recent past?
Keep the faith kris.
Don’t become a member of the sound of science forum, there’s still hope for you.
We’re here for you, after this crisis passes. We’ll always be here for you.
Can I purchase your mojo (mates rates) for my brother as I’d love him to enjoy it like I enjoy mine ?

Feb 17, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #38,181 of 42,759
I tried this jitterbug + usb with 6 ferrites and not very impressed, a tad brighter and coarse compared to opticals smoothness I’m so used to, it even brought sibilance in to vocals so I did not want to keep it. Each to their own as long as were enjoying it doesn’t matter how you set it up.

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #38,182 of 42,759
I tried this jitterbug + usb with 6 ferrites and not very impressed, a tad brighter and coarse compared to opticals smoothness I’m so used to, it even brought sibilance in to vocals so I did not want to keep it. Each to their own as long as were enjoying it doesn’t matter how you set it up.
Have you compared the Jitterbug + 6 ferrites to direct in the USB port with no ferrites?

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #38,183 of 42,759
Do you regret the last four years? It sounds fairly tragic.
Maybe your hearings a bit messed up due to a cold or something in the recent past?
Keep the faith kris.
Don’t become a member of the sound of science forum, there’s still hope for you.
We’re here for you, after this crisis passes. We’ll always be here for you.
Can I purchase your mojo (mates rates) for my brother as I’d love him to enjoy it like I enjoy mine ?
Ha! No I don't regret the last four years. I will probably still use my Mojo. It's a lovely little thing. I don't think I will be selling it. :wink:

Feb 18, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #38,185 of 42,759
Whilst this is great for cheaper, not-so-well shielded cables it may in fact be detrimental to well shielded cables. Cables like the QED Reference and Supra are already well shielded and introducing additional shielding by way of ferrite chokes may have a negative effect on sound.

Note! Be careful in the use of ferrites. Not all ferrites are tuned correctly to be used with this high frequency data transfer cable without changing the electrical proporties of the cable to the point where the data transfer is corrupted and/or slowed down. This is a general notification for all digital interconnects. We have encountered HDMI cables not coming even close to the original excellent performance, thanks to later added ferrites with the benign intention of reducing RFI.

Source
Is there a way to know if I have enough ferrites on my cable?

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #38,186 of 42,759
Is there a way to know if I have enough ferrites on my cable?

I think the only way is to use opitcal as a reference and then stop adding ferrites when they match SQ but I know your unable to do that so I would probably suggest keep adding more until you can no longer hear a change but I still find it strange your laptop running on battery would have such a noisy usb it’s usualy high power/ gaming desktop PCs.

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #38,187 of 42,759
I decided to try a blind AB test with Mojo and the iphone dongle and I noticed a difference right away. I am using the D7000 headphone btw. I thought just in case I am biased I let my wife try it as well. Same thing told her to close her eyes while switches between them. She noticed the mojo the voice was closer and cleaner. That's what she said anyway.

The first time I ever heard the mojo I was testing out the Shure SE846. I tested them first from the dongle and thought they were okay in comparison with my Westone 3s. Then I saw the mojo on the table and asked to try with that. I thought it sounded better so I ended up not buying the Shure because I thought they should sound amazing right out of my phone and bought the Mojo instead.

Feb 20, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #38,188 of 42,759
Hey, so I have this USB cable:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5457

It says it's shielded, but obviously I don't know how well shielded, and it has 1 ferrite choke to go with it.

I've added 2 extra feritte chokes; one directly after the USB A connection, and one in the middle of the cable.

Is this enough to get it shielded even better, without taking out the original response, or is taking out the one in the middle better?

Feb 20, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #38,189 of 42,759
Hey, so I have this USB cable:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5457

It says it's shielded, but obviously I don't know how well shielded, and it has 1 ferrite choke to go with it.

I've added 2 extra feritte chokes; one directly after the USB A connection, and one in the middle of the cable.

Is this enough to get it shielded even better, without taking out the original response, or is taking out the one in the middle better?

I would suggest that it is sufficiently shielded without additional ferrite chokes. I don't entirely understand the science (I'm no electrical engineer!) but given the advice on the Supra website, I would personally remove the extra chokes.

Feb 20, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #38,190 of 42,759
Just confirmed that I get a constant electric shock when I use metal earphones with my Mojo. I'm pretty sure it's not static discharge as I live in an area of high humidity, and using that same few metal earphones with other sources doesn't get me the shocks.

I couldn't be sure if it's the replacement battery or new USB cable that's causing this, as I'm sure I haven't had this issue before. Anyone with a similar experience?

I don't know if its damaging to any of my earphones or the Mojo itself, but it's definitely causing pain to my ears. So I will avoid using it, until I can find a solution.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back