Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 10, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #37,996 of 42,759
I love those headphones on my desktop darker sounding rig, so no can do, but thanks for suggestion... :wink: I fuess I ‘ll try try transportable solution suggested by max - liquid spark.

Fair enough :)

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #37,997 of 42,759
Can liquid spark be driven from a powerbank via usbor is it solely a desktop solution?

Sadly it cannot be driven from a standard power bank, you would need to use a 36v battery and most portable ones top out around 24v. Monoprice was originally planning on making it into a battery powered amp at a higher price point but things changed along the way.

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #38,000 of 42,759
hey. I have a chord mojo but would like to use it bluetooth without spending a fortune on poly. Is there a way?

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #38,002 of 42,759
I want to stream music from phone to the mojo

Jan 11, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #38,003 of 42,759
Without being patronising - what are you trying to accomplish ?
Maybe some kind of raspberry pi fir £15 could be the ticket if we knew what setup/software you plan to use?

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #38,004 of 42,759
Jan 11, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #38,005 of 42,759

If you've got an Android 8 phone, then this device could get you half-way to the Mojo, with High Res audio (it's a Bluetooth 5.0 LDAC Receiver, that outputs I2S) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lus...AC-APTX-LDAC-LDAC-Module-IIS/32966728862.html
You'd still need to convert the I2S to SPDIF (coax or optical), to connect to a Mojo digital input. Something like this should work - https://www.ebay.com/itm/I2S-to-SPD...ard-IIS-Input-Coaxial-44-1K-192K/173617242108

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #38,006 of 42,759
I would like to share my bizarre experience with my Chord Mojo.

I bought it in December 2015 and use it mainly as DAC for my stereo system. For the 3 years that I am using it I am among those few that could not hear the difference between the Mojo and other competent DACs. I compared it against Rega DAC, Arcam irDac, Naim UnitiQute's internal DAC, and other less known converters that I had. I can hear slight differences between them, but not in a 'game-changer' level.

Occasionally, when reading through the online forums I find that I am not alone. ( here, for example). But I kept the mojo anyway. Why? Because when I first connected it to my amp when it was new, I thought I heard the 'magic' for some 15 minutes. But for some reason, that magic disappeared, permanently. Since then, whenever I have the time I have been tinkering my system to find again that 'mojo' that I thought I heard.

I tried the following, among many things:
- used all inputs (coax, toslink and USB). The USB with laptop on battery, or iphone on airplane mode. The toslink sounds smoother, coax and USB had more bite. But again, nothing extraordinary.
- tried with different amps (Naim Nait XS, Naim UnitiQute, Denon AV Receiver, a class D amp from Pioneer).
- maintained my physical fitness via regular exercise ( I find this critical for my hearing ability and enjoyment of this hobby)

To cut the story short, tonight I am typing this post while listening to mojo and hearing the magic again!
Recently I was troubleshooting a regular audio drop-out while streaming music via my apple airport express to the mojo. And the last thing I did was to align the apple device to the mojo, so that the toslink cable is practically straight. This almost solved the drop-out issue. And to my surprise, also improved the sound greatly!

I've now replaced the seemingly faulty toslink cable but with the replacement it seems that the best sound is also when the cable is straight. I'm still trying to get my head around this. I've read that the mojo is able to eliminate jitter, and with digital I thought it is all or nothing. So this is really a head-scratcher. And no, the USB still does not sound extraordinary.

Anyway, I am now greatly enjoying what I am hearing. The sound is three dimensional. Best described with Wow!

Sorry for the long post.

Jan 11, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #38,007 of 42,759
I would like to share my bizarre experience with my Chord Mojo.

I bought it in December 2015 and use it mainly as DAC for my stereo system. For the 3 years that I am using it I am among those few that could not hear the difference between the Mojo and other competent DACs. I compared it against Rega DAC, Arcam irDac, Naim UnitiQute's internal DAC, and other less known converters that I had. I can hear slight differences between them, but not in a 'game-changer' level.

Occasionally, when reading through the online forums I find that I am not alone. ( here, for example). But I kept the mojo anyway. Why? Because when I first connected it to my amp when it was new, I thought I heard the 'magic' for some 15 minutes. But for some reason, that magic disappeared, permanently. Since then, whenever I have the time I have been tinkering my system to find again that 'mojo' that I thought I heard.

I tried the following, among many things:
- used all inputs (coax, toslink and USB). The USB with laptop on battery, or iphone on airplane mode. The toslink sounds smoother, coax and USB had more bite. But again, nothing extraordinary.
- tried with different amps (Naim Nait XS, Naim UnitiQute, Denon AV Receiver, a class D amp from Pioneer).
- maintained my physical fitness via regular exercise ( I find this critical for my hearing ability and enjoyment of this hobby)

To cut the story short, tonight I am typing this post while listening to mojo and hearing the magic again!
Recently I was troubleshooting a regular audio drop-out while streaming music via my apple airport express to the mojo. And the last thing I did was to align the apple device to the mojo, so that the toslink cable is practically straight. This almost solved the drop-out issue. And to my surprise, also improved the sound greatly!

I've now replaced the seemingly faulty toslink cable but with the replacement it seems that the best sound is also when the cable is straight. I'm still trying to get my head around this. I've read that the mojo is able to eliminate jitter, and with digital I thought it is all or nothing. So this is really a head-scratcher. And no, the USB still does not sound extraordinary.

Anyway, I am now greatly enjoying what I am hearing. The sound is three dimensional. Best described with Wow!

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks for your feedback. I use optical almost exclusively, because it eliminates the electrical noise.
However it is possible to have problems with optical, and some of the reasons are explained in the FAQ in post #3.
The music signal is transmitted by that narrow beam of light, down the optical cable, and then into the lens of the socket.
Several things can cause this signal flow to be less than optimal, including dirt/grease on the lens cap, or even the plug and socket being slightly misaligned, so that only a small fraction of the light beam enters the receiver in the socket.
I suspect that this is what you have experienced - a cable with a misaligned plug/socket resulting in an inconsistant light signal reaching the receiver, causing dropouts plus the error correction algorithms having to predict what the music data should have been.
The new cable plus aligning the plug with the socket, now ensures that your Mojo is receiving a decent signal at long last, so it is not surprising that your music is sounding better.

Jan 11, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #38,008 of 42,759
What is the difference in foobar2000 between Device output buffer length, and Networking buffer size? I want to make foobar a little faster when scrolling forwards or backwards in a song with the ASIO plugin, and also want less lag when using foobar ASIO with Microsoft Edge

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #38,009 of 42,759
If you've got an Android 8 phone, then this device could get you half-way to the Mojo, with High Res audio (it's a Bluetooth 5.0 LDAC Receiver, that outputs I2S) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lus...AC-APTX-LDAC-LDAC-Module-IIS/32966728862.html
You'd still need to convert the I2S to SPDIF (coax or optical), to connect to a Mojo digital input. Something like this should work - https://www.ebay.com/itm/I2S-to-SPD...ard-IIS-Input-Coaxial-44-1K-192K/173617242108
I use Chromecast Audio and toslink cable to Mojo. It is WiFi based and you get a perfect bit lossless to.

Get one now at very low price as it has been discontinued by Google. It is the best and cheapest solution with better sound quality than Bluetooth.

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #38,010 of 42,759
I use Chromecast Audio and toslink cable to Mojo. It is WiFi based and you get a perfect bit lossless to.

Get one now at very low price as it has been discontinued by Google. It is the best and cheapest solution with better sound quality than Bluetooth.
I do the same with an airport express. Works great with Roon and toslink to the mojo. And does a dual duty extending my WiFi network. Of course these are also discontinued now too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back