Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 8, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #37,967 of 42,765
The audio tools enable true deep emotional contact with the music. The more refined the dac for eg the more true to life is the sound of the music and our enjoyment of it. "Music first audiophile" on its own doesn't explain the whole story IMHO. That doesn't mean higher cost always equals finer product but in many instances it does as with the chord family of dacs the finest on the market IMHO after listening to many competitors. Not a trigger for a heated debate but just how i feel.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #37,968 of 42,765
The audio tools enable true deep emotional contact with the music. The more refined the dac for eg the more true to life is the sound of the music and our enjoyment of it. "Music first audiophile" on its own doesn't explain the whole story IMHO. That doesn't mean higher cost always equals finer product but in many instances it does as with the chord family of dacs the finest on the market IMHO after listening to many competitors. Not a trigger for a heated debate but just how i feel.

Is this aimed at me?

Music first audiophile is what i am in the way i go about this hobby, many people on this forum and elsewhere only listen to music just because its well recorded and sounds exeptional, jazz, classical, whatever, all good each to their own but i dont enjoy that. 97% of my music is compressed and distorted rock and metal albums from 1985 onwards, yeah they dont sound amazing but i love all my music to death and have done since i was a teenager no matter what it was played on. Im using decent gear to make the most out of what i have. As long as im enjoying the actual music content I wont turn down any recording no matter how bad it may sound and i never will.

Im not using Miles Davis to listen to my system im using my system to listen to listen to Megadeth.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #37,969 of 42,765
Mike's David is pretty great. :wink: I hear you though. All about the music for me. Music I enjoy, well produced and reproduced FTW.

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #37,970 of 42,765
I’m finding, that finding new music keeps things fresh. I get bored sometimes with my music and then I gravitate towards upgraditus, but I’ve now decided, I have the best of gear, I just need new music to reinvigorate the hobby.
Using the recommended albums on the stereophile website, I’ve found a few keepers.

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #37,973 of 42,765
For years i had low cost mini hifi systems a 150 quid each. now i have a mscaler system i'm listening to exactly the same music. if i can find a better recording than all the better if not i will listen to it on any format or quality but in this case the mscaler system can make it sound better or breath some life into it using it's 1 million tap interpolation filter to reconstruct the original analogue signal. some poor quality foreign recordings i had sound amazingly different and new now. if my preferred music was poorly recorded i would buy the tools needed that would at least part rectify it. i would say only a small minority use music to listen to their system whereby the vast majority because they love their music so much invest great time and effort to find and set up the best tools that enable them to enjoy their music to the max with the hardware becoming invisible.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #37,974 of 42,765
I would say it depends on your intended use. Portable, Mojo. Desktop, Hugo. Although the cost difference is significant, sometimes you you can sell yourself short only part investing what is needed to make you happy with your set up.
Ok, but soundwise, hugo should be an upgrade compared to mojo. Unfortunately hugo thread is not active anymore, people do not reply, so i ask here about it. Did anyone connected hugo to smartphones? Any issues? Thanks.

Jan 9, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #37,976 of 42,765
Haven't posted in here around a year or so at a guess... haven't used the mojo in the same time roughly. In that time I've bought the hiby R6 as my otg DAP. Laying here on my bed after my nightshift, playing fleetwood mac.

Stopping certain passages, playing and comparing both, then re-playing and re-comparing etc lol. I think the small differences to my ears are that the music with mojo sounds a bit more intimate, realistic if you like.

For this kind of singer songwriter music, it suits it so well. The hiby R6 sounds fantastic too, slightly different though, alot more similar than different sounding to my ears. For chilling on my bed though, mojo is my choice.

Portable is a totally diff outcome though for use. If im on a walk, it's the R6 all day. The tiny little nuances between the sounds, you will not distinguish due to external factors. The fact you have no stacking and cables etc is a major, major deciding factor for me.

I think to truly appreciate what mojo gives you, you need to be able to relax, close your eyes and concentrate on exactly what you are hearing. You start to pick up on what it gives you.

Im curious if Tidal HI-FI offers a difference in sound quality that is audible compared to 320kbp.

Both mojo & Hiby R6 with my B&W P7 wireless sounds real nice for the average audio enthusiast.

What's the best openback HP you've all heard with mojo? I ask because I have the IMR R1 Zenith IEM's coming next week and if they are good enough, I may replace my P7W's with openback's and use those IEM's as my all rounders.

Jan 9, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #37,977 of 42,765
Jan 9, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #37,980 of 42,765
Eh I dunno. People usually say transparent to signifies more top end frequency which I wasn't a fan of with Hugo 2. I'd prefer if Mojo 2 keeps the signature but improves on everything else.

Either way, eagerly waiting for news and release of the second generation.

To me the Mojo is too thick and muted in the treble with higher end headphones but sound really good with cheaper headphones, as it was designed to (i didnt know this until a long time after i had one though) Hugo 2 is far more balanced and transparent without being harsh or too bright but its a massive jump in price to get there from Mojo. I recommend Hugo 1 for people with £400+ headphones/IEMS and Hugo 2 if money is no problem for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back