Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 17, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #37,831 of 42,765
Until I got 2Qute for my main system I had used the Mojo. Playing through it only on battery and when I'd turn the system off I'd plug the charging cable to charge it. Even with headphones I still do the same. It has been three years and I've never had a battery problem.

Thanks for the info/reply. I just checked and it can also be used at the same time as it is plugged into power.

How does the Mojo stack up against the 2Qute? I'll probably be following in your footsteps!!!

Dec 17, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #37,832 of 42,765
Thanks for the info/reply. I just checked and it can also be used at the same time as it is plugged into power.

It can, but if you read this thread - way too many people 'fried' their battery this way. I wouldn't do it!

2Qute - has way more good bass(even I never missed it with the Mojo), I had to put rubber semi-balls on the bottom of my speakers so the bass generated in the speakers doesn't transfer the vibration to the surface they are sitting on. There are other subtleties about it - but to make it short, it sounds amazing and I can keep the Mojo to headphones duty.

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #37,833 of 42,765
It can, but if you read this thread - way too many people 'fried' their battery this way. I wouldn't do it!

2Qute - has way more good bass(even I never missed it with the Mojo), I had to put rubber semi-balls on the bottom of my speakers so the bass generated in the speakers doesn't transfer the vibration to the surface they are sitting on. There are other subtleties about it - but to make it short, it sounds amazing and I can keep the Mojo to headphones duty.

Good to know....on both counts!!! Thanks!

Dec 17, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #37,834 of 42,765
It’s actually always been mentioned in this thread as 26K TAPs, or around 50K TAPs at half speed (never less than Hugo1). These past few posts are the first I’ve read in this thread of half of 26K.

Interesting that Rob finally revealed 38K for Mojo, whatever ‘speed’ it is run at because I know this was a big deal for them not to reveal the actual number for a loooooong time.

Why only now give information of the real number of taps in Mojo?

Dec 17, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #37,835 of 42,765
Why only now give information of the real number of taps in Mojo?

This is my guess....

Imagine selling a product with more TAPs (whatever speed it's running at) and at the same time selling a more expensive product with less TAPs. For those that focus solely on TAPs this would not do well for sales of the Hugo(1). I don't know if Rob was supposed to let it slip or not but it's out there now...

Again, just my guess.

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #37,836 of 42,765
Yes disclosing Mojo's tap length of 38,896 was inadvertent. I had intended not to disclose it, but actually for very complex reasons.

Hugo 1 was 26,384 taps, and Mojo is 38,896 taps, so that means Mojo must be 1.5 times better?

No.

It's not as simple as that. I have set the narrative that increasing tap length will improve accuracy and will improve sound quality; and that I will keep doubling the tap length until I can hear no further improvements (hence to million tap M scaler).

And this is completely true. But - only if the algorithm is the same, and only if the oversampling rate of the filter is the same. With Hugo 1 and Mojo the WTA was the same.

But Hugo 1 is an 8 times filter, and Mojo is a 16 times filter and clearly 1.3uS resolution (16 times) is better than 2.6 uS (8 times).

But to further complicate matters, Hugo 1 has an extra filter to get you too 16 times; but this doesn't sound quite as good as a single stage filter.

But on the other hand a 26,384 filter works on 3,298 samples; but Mojo's only works on 2,431 samples - and this is a significant sound quality disadvantage.

So I had a very complex situation comparing the two filters, and it isn't as simple as the tap length suggests. And of course Mojo is intended to a different audience than Hugo, so we need to make it simple story that everybody can understand - hence the 500 times more processing power than any other DAC.

There was talk also about it being half speed. There are more DSP cores available on Mojo's 15T FPGA (40 against 16) but - I could not run the DSPs at the usual 208 MHz, due to power limitations - Mojo's DSPs are run at 104 MHz, and this is where the half speed comment came about. Running at half speed halves dynamic power, but halves the available processing.

On a more personal note, I have been upset and very frustrated by some posters on Head-Fi arguing that product xyz is better than Chord; now I am not going to argue with a genuine and honest opinion - after all some people like muddled soft sound and distortion; but I do worry that some posters are working to another agenda. Facts are facts, and for sure Mojo with it's 38,896 tap 16 times WTA filter will reconstruct transients to a far better accuracy than any other non Chord DAC out there at any price. And if you want to be convinced about the importance of transients, take a look at the Hugo M scaler thread.

Moreover, measurement wise, something that can be replicated with the appropriate test equipment (APx 555) Mojo is the only non Chord DAC (at any price point) that has zero measurable noise floor modulation; and this is important for refinement and timbre variation (it's the reason why Mojo sounds so natural and refined).

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #37,837 of 42,765
Until I got 2Qute for my main system I had used the Mojo. Playing through it only on battery and when I'd turn the system off I'd plug the charging cable to charge it. Even with headphones I still do the same. It has been three years and I've never had a battery problem.

I basically did the same, either play or charge, and then I got a used 2Qute. But you could also connect Mojo to a charger that is connected to the mains with a timer and only charges for some time while you sleep.

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #37,838 of 42,765
I’m interested to purchase a new full size headphone for Mojo.
I was looking at MrSpeakers Aeon but I’m not 100% sure that Mojo will drive them properly?

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #37,839 of 42,765
I’m interested to purchase a new full size headphone for Mojo.
I was looking at MrSpeakers Aeon but I’m not 100% sure that Mojo will drive them properly?

It will. Rob Watts uses the AEON himself.

Do the calculations yourself for power required (hint, it’s a lot less than marketing would have you believe):

http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

Edit: Oh heck, here is the power required for the AEON... and yes, volume is directly related to power.

8ADCFB36-52BD-40DA-BC80-ED46AE198A79.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #37,840 of 42,765
Does/Has anyone use the Mojo in their main speaker system? If so, how do you keep it powered? Do you have to always take it out of your system and charge it?

I hooked it up in my main rig and it sounded better than my Cambridge 840C DAC so now I want to utilize it there but not sure about the logistics of it.

I do. I am using a portable power bank to charge it. But I charge the Mojo only when not listening to it, because it gets disturbingly too hot if you charge it while listening.

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #37,841 of 42,765
I basically did the same, either play or charge, and then I got a used 2Qute. But you could also connect Mojo to a charger that is connected to the mains with a timer and only charges for some time while you sleep.
Hmm... that's a great idea!
It could've saved so many Mojos.
People that do like to illuminate their power source noise with LPSs and batteries, should save it to their toolbox.

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #37,844 of 42,765
On a more personal note, I have been upset and very frustrated by some posters on Head-Fi arguing that product xyz is better than Chord; now I am not going to argue with a genuine and honest opinion - after all some people like muddled soft sound and distortion; but I do worry that some posters are working to another agenda. Facts are facts, and for sure Mojo with it's 38,896 tap 16 times WTA filter will reconstruct transients to a far better accuracy than any other non Chord DAC out there at any price. And if you want to be convinced about the importance of transients, take a look at the Hugo M scaler thread.

Moreover, measurement wise, something that can be replicated with the appropriate test equipment (APx 555) Mojo is the only non Chord DAC (at any price point) that has zero measurable noise floor modulation; and this is important for refinement and timbre variation (it's the reason why Mojo sounds so natural and refined).

Rob, thanks for sharing the details about Mojo and Hugo! I won't pretend that I understand this level of detail, but it explains the mistery of the secret DAP length :ksc75smile:

On your personal note - I hope you can see the many more positive notions of the Mojo and your other creations.
Honestly, your work and specifically the Mojo tought me a lot about music, technology and also how the forums work, and it has been an immensly fun and interesting journey!
I really admire your dedication and passion to work for such a long time on a technology, and one that really brings joy to people!
But what's totally unique is your openness to share your knowledge.

Thanks for all of that! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back