Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 25, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #37,396 of 42,765
Apple's cables should be fairly durable, it's more about their shifting implementation to determine compliance. I'm into an aftermarket solution primarily for a minimal setup.

I break a genuine apple cck cable every 6 months or less. And I don’t use it even too much.

I have had absolutely no issues with iOS 12, using the Apple Camera Connection to the Mojo. Perfect from the very first second.

Then i can update.

No, I stack my Mojo with my iPhone SE, hence my desire for a very short cable. I was always put off by Apple’s CCK because of how long the cable was (plus the need for a second cable/fitting that connected to the CCK’s female USB), so I was glad to find a 12cm silver cable that had embedded in it the CCK chip. Works great, sounds great, especially with lossless files.

Could you link exactly this cable so i try to buy too?

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #37,397 of 42,765
Sep 28, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #37,398 of 42,765
Nothing happens when I move the cord around. But when I plug the cord in it the power button ball lights up (if I unplug and then plug back it the power ball does not color up).

So if it does color up when I first plug it in, doesn't this mean connection of some sort is made?

Mr Rob Watts, plz help

I've been having this exact same issue starting two months ago, my Mojo started disconnecting intermittently using the short 6" cable that came with it, whether it was connected to my MacBook Pro, iPhone Xs, iPad Pro, etc.

Now for about the last month, each of my devices fails to recognize the Mojo, no matter if I use the Chord cable with which it came or half a dozen of other USB-A to micro-USB cables I have laying around. If I plug it into laptop before turning on, power button ball lights up. But if I leave it unplugged, then power on, and then plug in – no power button lighting up....

Were you able to fix it yourself?

Sep 28, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #37,399 of 42,765
I've been having this exact same issue starting two months ago, my Mojo started disconnecting intermittently using the short 6" cable that came with it, whether it was connected to my MacBook Pro, iPhone Xs, iPad Pro, etc.

Now for about the last month, each of my devices fails to recognize the Mojo, no matter if I use the Chord cable with which it came or half a dozen of other USB-A to micro-USB cables I have laying around. If I plug it into laptop before turning on, power button ball lights up. But if I leave it unplugged, then power on, and then plug in – no power button lighting up....

Were you able to fix it yourself?
I had to send it to chord.
Since chord products are unreliable I've chosen to move away from the brand

Sep 28, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #37,400 of 42,765
I had to send it to chord.
Since chord products are unreliable I've chosen to move away from the brand
Thanks for the swift reply... really disappointing. I was told "George Meyer A/V will typically charge a $75 estimate fee and apply that to the repair cost." Like, no, the most I'm willing to have a device for which I pad $500 in the first place is $25-50. Terrible customer service. Will never buy another Chord product in my life.

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #37,401 of 42,765
Thanks for the swift reply... really disappointing. I was told "George Meyer A/V will typically charge a $75 estimate fee and apply that to the repair cost." Like, no, the most I'm willing to have a device for which I pad $500 in the first place is $25-50. Terrible customer service. Will never buy another Chord product in my life.

OK, understood, it is aggravating. But putting aside emotion, this is a (mainly) quantitative analysis:
- Without having the unit repaired, it's worthless. So you then have a very nice paperweight. Loss: $500 or so.
-Spend $75-$100 (or thereabouts, unless the circuit board is broken, which it probably isn't) and you now have a fine device you liked worth, say $400.
-What would you have to spend get an equivalent replacement unit-- an additional $500 to $1000? (And there may not be a equivalent unit of Mojo's sound quality in this price range.) Spend an additional $500-1000 and your cost is now $400 loss + $500-1000 new unit price = $900 to $1,400 cost
-Remember you are going to a 3rd party repair place. That's what it costs, out of warranty, to go to a skilled 3rd party repair place--for Mojo, any Chord product, or any of the other fine high end headphone and audio items you show on your equipment list, whether Audeze, JH etc. If you want to play in the high end, that's what it costs.
-$75 is not a bad price these days. You can barely get two pastrami sandwiches for that price.

Conclusion: IMO, it pays to get the thing fixed..That's what I did and I'm happy I did it.
But it's your call, obviously. Good luck.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #37,402 of 42,765
:triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:
It is disappointing.
I do believe that almost all USB ports, maybe with the exclusion of type-c very fragile.
I've been very paranoid about not abusing my mojo and so far it has served me well for almost 3 years. I listen to it every day and only in desktop mode, never mobile. Never charge and use at the same time and my battery is just fine. Have a longer usb cable so it doesn't put any pressure on the port.
I had an interesting experience with JDSLabs's ODAC, it lost a couple of contacts in its USB port, since at that point it had served me more than 7-9 years and I paid only $140 for it, I call it quits and instead of throwing it away, shipped it back to JDSLabs so they can recycle it. You cannot imagine my surprise :o2smile: when just 3 days later I got it back repaired, like nothing happened - I still use it to this day, it is no mojo but it sounds very nice to my ears with my Lake People amp. That's what I call service!!! But these are rare cases, as we all know. I only wish Chord Electronics, considering the prices of their gear, would be like that.

Sep 29, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #37,403 of 42,765
Well I'll be darned. Bluetooth from a BT receiver and Mojo makes the BOSE Bluetooth SoundLink speakers sound much clearer than BOSE's internal BT receiver. I was surprised at the detail retrieval improvements from this setup which I never expected to be that significant!

44947168982_dbc9b07dff_o_d.jpg

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #37,404 of 42,765
My Chord Mojo which was purchased since the release has finally succumb to a bloating battery. I had it removed today and I'm using it without battery through powered USB.

Seems to work fine for now but I don't know the implications (if any) down the road. Also, have contacted a few local retailers to see if they can just let me purchase the battery without having to send my unit back. Then again, if it works fine without the battery, I think it might be better as I mainly use it as a desktop solution.

Sep 30, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #37,405 of 42,765
My Chord Mojo which was purchased since the release has finally succumb to a bloating battery. I had it removed today and I'm using it without battery through powered USB.

Seems to work fine for now but I don't know the implications (if any) down the road. Also, have contacted a few local retailers to see if they can just let me purchase the battery without having to send my unit back. Then again, if it works fine without the battery, I think it might be better as I mainly use it as a desktop solution.
Do you notice any difference in performance or SQ when using the Mojo via USB power only ?
I ask because I read Rob"s post about how Chord had done extensive R&D to develop their battery for the Mojo.

Sep 30, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #37,406 of 42,765
Do you notice any difference in performance or SQ when using the Mojo via USB power only ?
I ask because I read Rob"s post about how Chord had done extensive R&D to develop their battery for the Mojo.

From what I can tell, the battery is just an unassuming black Li-Po pack...
I can't really tell if there's any difference in sound without the battery, as it sounds the same to me and everything seems to work as per normal.
What I'm more concerned is if it will cause any harm to the circuitry when used without a battery.

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #37,407 of 42,765

Contact Chord support and they may be able to agree a solution with the dealers. Chord are able to ship batteries to some dealers, and then either the dealer replaces the battery, or the owner does the diy replacement in 5 minutes. There is one dealer in the US I think, advertising the battery on their Web page, but I think it is the only dealer mentioned on the chord threads.
For the future, some posters have concluded that using the mojo permanently connected to the power, seems to correlate with battery issues - batteries do not like being permanently at full charge.

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #37,408 of 42,765
From what I can tell, the battery is just an unassuming black Li-Po pack...
I can't really tell if there's any difference in sound without the battery, as it sounds the same to me and everything seems to work as per normal.
What I'm more concerned is if it will cause any harm to the circuitry when used without a battery.
No it is OK without the battery from a damage POV. Also, I saw no measurement changes when testing without the battery - but if Mojo needs dynamic power from driving difficult current loads, then you will need the battery to be replaced, as the battery is capable of supplying very large currents under dynamic conditions.

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #37,409 of 42,765
No it is OK without the battery from a damage POV. Also, I saw no measurement changes when testing without the battery - but if Mojo needs dynamic power from driving difficult current loads, then you will need the battery to be replaced, as the battery is capable of supplying very large currents under dynamic conditions.

Thanks for the reassurance Rob. I'll be using without the battery until I get replies from those retailers I've contacted. In case I don't get any response from them, will I be able to purchase a battery through yourself?

Also, by "driving difficult current loads" do you mean driving something over a certain impedance load? The highest impedance earphone I use is at 320ohms... Should that work properly without battery?

Edit: I also noticed that the removed bloated battery is slightly warm even when left alone on the table. Should I dispose of it?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #37,410 of 42,765
Thanks for the reassurance Rob. I'll be using without the battery until I get replies from those retailers I've contacted. In case I don't get any response from them, will I be able to purchase a battery through yourself?

Also, by "driving difficult current loads" do you mean driving something over a certain impedance load? The highest impedance earphone I use is at 320ohms... Should that work properly without battery?

Edit: I also noticed that the removed bloated battery is slightly warm even when left alone on the table. Should I dispose of it?

Chord's distribution network will be able to supply replacement batteries for you.

320 ohms is an easy load, so no worries there. It's my default load for measurements, and the charger will easily supply enough current for that.

Yes dispose of it through the appropriate disposal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back