Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 16, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #37,351 of 42,759
So the Sennheiser HDV 820 trick, just with reversed effect... Anyway, hard to believe – from an electrical point of view – that 1.7 Ω do enough on a 12.8 Ω load. Certainly not 6½ dB. Also, I wouldn't sacrifice the better DAC/amp in favor of such a crude equalizing method.

Again, what do you think of the Atlas, compared to the Vega? BTW, I don't hear any hiss from the Mojo, neither with SE846 nor with Andromeda (which have about the same sensitivity). This with 68 year old ears.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #37,352 of 42,759
In terms of sound signature, Atlas has deeper bass and smoother treble without the sibilance that you get with Vega based on the Sony NW-WM1Z DAP’s output. It’s a tie for me where I prefer the Vega with EDM/pop while Atlas on classical (better mids and treble tonality for me).

Vega has no hiss at all with Mojo but with Andromeda it’s very apparent when listening to quiet tracks

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #37,354 of 42,759
Well, the timing is right for an upgrade sometime next year.

I have no idea how many Mojos Chord has sold, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s approaching 100,000. They hit it out of the ballpark with such a novel design.

Serial numbers in the 50.000s were seen, mine has 46.xxx and I bought it new this year, but from an Ebay seller in UK which could mean that it has been sitting around for a while.
If someone really wants to know if a Mojo 2 is possible he could research if there's a new FPGA chip generation with higher performance at similar power consumption.
That would be the precondition for an update of the Mojo.

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #37,355 of 42,759
Oh no!!!! That's a really unfitting end to a Chord Mojo :triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:

I remember reading some statements maybe half a year ago that no Mojo 2 is in the works or planned.
It also depends on available FPGA chips, which have much longer life cycles than the consumer electronics parts.

Maybe time for a used Hugo, or even a Hugo 2?

I already have a Hugo 2, but it's size makes it a bit much for pocket use.The HiFman R2R2000 is what I'm currently eyeing as replacement due to the streaming capabilities being exactly what I'm looking for in a new mobile dac/amp. However, it's firmware seems to be full of problems that do not reflect it's price point. So, I'm left dreaming of something from Chord of similar size and capabilities. Hopefully we get some kind announcement in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #37,356 of 42,759
They service the USA too but the issue is that they will tell you they are a wholesaler and that they do not speak to end consumers.

Okay, fine. I then asked them if they can refer me to a USA dealer. They gave me this link to fill out on their website: https://www.bluebirdmusic.com/find-a-dealer.html

I did so, and never heard anything back. So, they're completely useless to those of us in the USA.

In the USA, the only Chord dealer I know of is Moon-Audio, so you might try contacting them: https://www.moon-audio.com

But Chord really needs to step up their game in the USA and get a more reliable distributor.

BlueBird cares only about what they perceive as THEIR customers, the authorized dealers, and will do whatever they can to not even talk to an end consumer.

@Mojo ideas
Bluebird certainly got a bad press in the early days, but have become more end customer focused, and contribute to the Poly thread, for example https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-443#post-14027958

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #37,357 of 42,759
Sometimes this happens:
I get this interruptions, like every 2 seconds. It is clicks/pops. It usually happens after 2-3 hours when playing.
But the funny thing is ( it could be me but Im sure its not) the sound is much better. Everything sounds way better than when its not clicking/popping. These are the only times I am amazed by the sound quality exept you cant listen because of the interruptions.
Anyone have an idea what this is?
It is connected to Onkyo dp-x1a and player app is usb audio pro.

I used to get the odd clicks and pops on my Mojo, when connected to PC. When I bought a music player that allowed me to set 'bit-prefect' output, it cured it.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #37,359 of 42,759
I recently got a pair of AKG N40 in-ear headphones. (MSRP £350, but often on sale for anywhere near £250.) They sounded a bit rough straight out of the box, (unless it was me). They had me curious. Maybe two to three hours later they were showing good colours. Now I have about twelve hours listening on them.

The pairing with Mojo is perfect. For the price I can not imagine a better pairing. ... (The N40 pair perfectly with my/the Hugo 2 too. It seems to be a pairing with Chord DACs.)

I always loved the Mojo and used for a couple of years before buying the Hugo 2. Since having a Hugo 2 I generally use that. I listen mostly with an amplifier and Dynaudio Emit M10 speakers on my desktop. The difference between Mojo and Hugo 2 is to me more distinguishable on amplifier and speakers. Probably because the sound-staging and spacing leaps out, and all those extra details in are in front of you with Hugo 2. The Mojo was good; very good. However it lacked just a fraction tonal neutrality in this pairing. It also pointed the way to what more detail resolution would be like.

Bearing in both the Mojo and the Hugo 2 are components technically above my amplifier and speakers. Going on price performance. Mojo excellent for £400, Hugo 2 £1800, Rega Brio amplifier £600, and Emit M10 £500. .. It meant that the amplifier and speakers were holding back both Mojo and Hugo 2.

I have a similar situation with headphones. My new AKG N40 are my most expensive and best rated. .. The point I am making is that the quality, pairing - synergy, and leap with the AKG N40 was not foreseen. I can't explain the synergy. It's just perfect!

I already loved my Mojo and got an emotional response just seeing and holding it. The AKG N40 pairing is adding even more to that.

I know I am experiencing this from one perspective. That being, I have only heard one pair of in-ear headphones at this price point. ... In all honesty and reality though, I can not imagine a better synergy - paring. ..... Music seems alive, wrought with emotion when needed, accurate, and finely detailed.

When I change from the Mojo to the Hugo 2. The difference is a finer, smoother, more accurate reproduction. I get the obvious impression though, that better quality headphones would bring out even more with the Hugo 2. The pairing is non-the-less synergy-wise, prefect.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #37,360 of 42,759
I haven't listened to this combo for a while but Mojo (toslink input) + CA Vega surprised me again on how good this combo sounds. CA Vega's DD really loves Mojo's driving power. Too bad CA Andromeda hates Mojo, sounding hissy, too dark and muted treble sparkle for my ears.

Interesting, I'm the other way there - prefer the Andromeda with the mojo, not as much as a fan with the Vega (too thick/syrupy for me).

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #37,361 of 42,759
Interesting, I'm the other way there - prefer the Andromeda with the mojo, not as much as a fan with the Vega (too thick/syrupy for me).

We definitely have different ears and sound signature preferences

Sep 22, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #37,362 of 42,759
I am experimenting an issue with the mojo.

It’s in orange battery state.

I turn on in level out mode and at the same time it’s on charge (2a charger).

After 1 hour or less it... turn off!

It’s the third time it happens.

Why this behaviour?

Sep 22, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #37,364 of 42,759
I am experimenting an issue with the mojo.

It’s in orange battery state.

I turn on in level out mode and at the same time it’s on charge (2a charger).

After 1 hour or less it... turn off!

It’s the third time it happens.

Why this behaviour?
Does the mojo feel very hot, just before it shuts down?
Charging your mojo from a low battery, whilst playing music will always generate the most heat.

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #37,365 of 42,759
So the Sennheiser HDV 820 trick, just with reversed effect... Anyway, hard to believe – from an electrical point of view – that 1.7 Ω do enough on a 12.8 Ω load. Certainly not 6½ dB. Also, I wouldn't sacrifice the better DAC/amp in favor of such a crude equalizing method.

Again, what do you think of the Atlas, compared to the Vega? BTW, I don't hear any hiss from the Mojo, neither with SE846 nor with Andromeda (which have about the same sensitivity). This with 68 year old ears.

I calculate about 2dB from max attenuation in the bass to min attenuation at 8-9kHz based on this impedance response graph and 1.7 ohm output impedance
Andromeda Z.png

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back