Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 29, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #35,731 of 42,758
Personally I think the mojo will have a minimum 5 year run before it’s updated and then after that we might see something with specs close to Hugo2 in Mojos size and then obviously soon after Hugo3 would follow to push the portable benchmark even higher.

Would that be 2020 then?

Mar 29, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #35,733 of 42,758
Nobody has 2020 vision - only 2020 hindsight, so try asking exactly the same question in 2021 :wink:
We should maintain some sort of prediction calendar, and whenever the prediction fails, a forfeit should be paid!

Mar 29, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #35,734 of 42,758
We should maintain some sort of prediction calendar, and whenever the prediction fails, a forfeit should be paid!

Some people like to be predictive

Some people like to be vindictive

I guess you may fall into the latter category! LOL

As for Mojo 2... I wouldn't venture to stick my neck out with a prediction on that, because Rob could update the code easily, but updating the hardware to run updated code is not entirely in his, or Chords, control - it's all about availability of low-power FPGAs. Since Moore's law is allegedly running out of steam, it seems unwise to speculate on when a worthwhile jump in FPGA performance, without power penalty, may actually make it into economical production.

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #35,735 of 42,758
As for Mojo 2... Since Moore's law is allegedly running out of steam, it seems unwise to speculate on when a worthwhile jump in FPGA performance, without power penalty, may actually make it into economical production.
The FPGA in the mojo is only on a 28nm process. They have a ways to go before they run into the Moore’s Law challenges described in the rest of the computer industry. This is about the transistor size intel was using eight to ten years ago.

http://eecatalog.com/lps/files/2012/05/wp389_Lowering_Power_at_28nm1.pdf

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #35,736 of 42,758
The FPGA in the mojo is only on a 28nm process. They have a ways to go before they run into the Moore’s Law challenges described in the rest of the computer industry. This is about the transistor size intel was using eight to ten years ago.

http://eecatalog.com/lps/files/2012/05/wp389_Lowering_Power_at_28nm1.pdf

True, but I suspect Xilinx are not going to invest billions on a new Fab plant for one customer producing high end audio for a few obsessive types like us. :)

When a critical mass of their customers require more performance then we will see a move to a new fab size.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #35,738 of 42,758
True, but I suspect Xilinx are not going to invest billions on a new Fab plant for one customer producing high end audio for a few obsessive types like us. :)

This is a fantastic point.

How do we make FPGAs more common place :|

Mar 30, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #35,740 of 42,758
By buying more of Chord's products, simple really. :)

Then we have a problem. I already have a mojo and cannot afford a Hugo 2. :beerchug:

However, I have noticed that some hobby enthusiasts are starting to gravitate towards FPGAs for some projects. I assume this is because they are becoming more cost competitive with the other solutions; or at least “more affordable”.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #35,741 of 42,758
Mar 30, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #35,743 of 42,758
I don't know if my question was answered before but I did my search without a success to get an answer to my issue.

My unit is still a little bit warm after fully charged and also this thing happening with my friend unit but I haven't a logical interpretation for this issue so does anyone have an idea for this issue?

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #35,744 of 42,758
I don't know if my question was answered before but I did my search without a success to get an answer to my issue.

My unit is still a little bit warm after fully charged and also this thing happening with my friend unit but I haven't a logical interpretation for this issue so does anyone have an idea for this issue?

Mojo does run a bit warm in normal operation, but not hot like when playing and charging at the same time. If you are not experiencing any thermal shut-downs, you should be ok. Or is there some other issue?

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #35,745 of 42,758
Mojo does run a bit warm in normal operation, but not hot like when playing and charging at the same time. If you are not experiencing any thermal shut-downs, you should be ok. Or is there some other issue?

Thank you for your reply

But I mean that my unit is still warm even when it fully charged and connected to charger despite it is not in operating mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back