Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 16, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #35,641 of 42,759
Finally pulled the trigger on this one. Arrives tommorow.

Upgraded from dragonfly red, briefly considered the new Fiio Q5 but decided to give this one a shot based on everything I've heard. Exited to see if the hype is real.

Does anyone know if I can connect to my phone via a usb-c to usb OTG cable connected to a usb to micro USB (non OTG) cable? Does anyone have a single cable recommendation to connect to a Samsung note 8, or a good optical cable to connect to a PC?
I got my optical cable in tescos, hopefully they all the same :)

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #35,642 of 42,759
As far as I know, you need OTG cable.

Interesting, i read in the FAQ on the third post that the cable must be OTG on the phone end only, not on the mojo end.

The FAQ is right and I am wrong then. Every day we learn something new.

Before I say what I'm about to say, let me preface it by saying I am not an Android expert, so I may be wrong about this:

I think I recall a few people saying that newer Android phones no longer require OTG cables. By newer, that'd probably mean 2017 onwards.

Anyone reading this, please take this information with caution and do further research to verify it.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #35,643 of 42,759
Before I say what I'm about to say, let me preface it by saying I am not an Android expert, so I may be wrong about this:

I think I recall a few people saying that newer Android phones no longer require OTG cables. By newer, that'd probably mean 2017 onwards.

Anyone reading this, please take this information with caution and do further research to verify it.

Pretty sure anything with a USB-C input/output doesn't need a special "OTG" cable. Any normal cable will work and recognize the device.

Mar 17, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #35,644 of 42,759
So with my note 8 I could use a standard usb c to micro usb cable without otg on either end? Will the mojo take charge from my batter if said sable is plugged into my phone and the data input socket of the mojo? The FAQ said I need a cable which is otg on the phone end but Im really struggling to find one in the UK

Mar 17, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #35,645 of 42,759
So with my note 8 I could use a standard usb c to micro usb cable without otg on either end? Will the mojo take charge from my batter if said sable is plugged into my phone and the data input socket of the mojo? The FAQ said I need a cable which is otg on the phone end but Im really struggling to find one in the UK

Before I bought the Black Dragon "form fit" cable I used this cheap cable from amazon without any issue,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LONQ7R6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 17, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #35,646 of 42,759
There was a link for you in one of my previous comments to eBay UK. The cable comes from China, but it doesn't take more than 4-5 days.

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #35,647 of 42,759
There was a link for you in one of my previous comments to eBay UK. The cable comes from China, but it doesn't take more than 4-5 days.

Thank you for the link. I had noticed it but it gives me an estimate of end of April for delivery (to the UK). Maybe this is an over estimate though as they say it ships via standard delivery 1 day after payment so unless they are walking it from China I suspect it may not take as long. The form factor seems ideal for stacking.

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #35,648 of 42,759
Mar 17, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #35,649 of 42,759
This one doesn't say that it's OTG, was this at all a problem when plugged into the data end of the mojo in terms of draining your phone?

No, the phone only sends data unless you tell it to power the device. Android may say "supplying power to device", but based on battery usage on both the phone and the Mojo, I know that's not true. I had a Fiio E10K in the past that I would power and drive with a Nexus 6P, that would pull power, and a lot of it (phone would drain very quickly). That's not the case with the Mojo and this cable.

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #35,651 of 42,759
No, the phone only sends data unless you tell it to power the device. Android may say "supplying power to device", but based on battery usage on both the phone and the Mojo, I know that's not true. I had a Fiio E10K in the past that I would power and drive with a Nexus 6P, that would pull power, and a lot of it (phone would drain very quickly). That's not the case with the Mojo and this cable.

Thank you I might give this one a go as Amazon UK has the same item in stock next day delivery.

Yes I also use UAPP with my dragonfly red, works a treat.

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #35,653 of 42,759
My mojo just arrived! Ordered off Amazon last night at 7pm and it arrived today at 4pm!
It came with no instruction manual or anything (is this normal?) Just the colour codes codes on the side of the box.

I thought it would take longer to arrive so I've had no time to read up on the colour schemes of charging indicators etc.. so straight to work on the FAQ! Might try and find some videos too.

Am I right to say that I should leave it to charge for 10 hours or until the indicator goes out before using it t all?

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #35,654 of 42,759
My mojo just arrived! Ordered off Amazon last night at 7pm and it arrived today at 4pm!
It came with no instruction manual or anything (is this normal?) Just the colour codes codes on the side of the box.

I thought it would take longer to arrive so I've had no time to read up on the colour schemes of charging indicators etc.. so straight to work on the FAQ! Might try and find some videos too.

Am I right to say that I should leave it to charge for 10 hours or until the indicator goes out before using it t all?
Yes - re charging

Here’s the manual

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Mojo-Manual-28072016.pdf

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #35,655 of 42,759
This is so weird, I don't know why Mojo puts out the best sound out of my active speakers. JBL LSR305. It's like it's the best or perfect match for it. If anybody has an LSR305, I'd definitely feed it the Mojo. I was actually thinking about selling my Mojo, but I can't get anything to replace it for my active speakers! :deadhorse:

Mojo performs well with everything for it, music, movies, videos. Chord should consult JBL in just building in the Mojo DAC into to those monitors! They are pretty much meant for each other IME.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back