Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 16, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #35,626 of 42,758
no other markings. The other issue is that there are no cell balance leads, and it is apparently an uncommon connector for a Lipo (I talked to a guy from an RC hobby shop to see if they had anything comparable). It is the 8 allenhead screws on bottom. The battery is taped to the top shell with a really sticky 2-sided tape. The PCB is mounted to the bottom plate with two small phillips screws. Disassembly/reassembly was really easy.

If its a 7.4v battery then it must be a two cell battery, if it doesn't have a balance tap, only two wire + and - then it must have a built in battery management circuit.

If you take the heatshrink off, very carefully, don't puncture the cells, then you should be able to see the BMS circuit. I suspect one of the cells in that pack is faulty the other one is probably still OK so > 3v.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #35,627 of 42,758
It's been stated many times, in this thread, that Chord did not source a generic cell for Mojo, but here it is, from John Franks himself:

Thanks for the quote. I'm not underestimating Chords design abilities. I think they design wonderful products.

I am however doubting their knowledge of the degradation of different lithium ion chemistries. This is what I do. You wont find me critiquing any other aspects of the circuit.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #35,628 of 42,758
If its a 7.4v battery then it must be a two cell battery, if it doesn't have a balance tap, only two wire + and - then it must have a built in battery management circuit.

If you take the heatshrink off, very carefully, don't puncture the cells, then you should be able to see the BMS circuit. I suspect one of the cells in that pack is faulty the other one is probably still OK so > 3v.
yea no thanks lol. The battery already felt very swollen when removing it, so I am disposing of it rather than disassembling it further.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #35,629 of 42,758
It's been stated many times, in this thread, that Chord did not source a generic cell for Mojo, but here it is, from John Franks himself:

Lipo batteries made of special pixie-tears, I'm not saying John is making it up, but the Poly thread has taught me not to believe a lot of what he says.

The battery is non-standard and not an off-the-shelf item in that it has a BMS circuit, other that that, call me a skeptic.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #35,630 of 42,758
Thanks for the quote. I'm not underestimating Chords design abilities. I think they design wonderful products.

I am however doubting their knowledge of the degradation of different lithium ion chemistries. This is what I do. You wont find me critiquing any other aspects of the circuit.

You can choose to latch-onto that fragment of the quote that you know very well wasn't the reason I posted the quote. That's your prerogative.

Lipo batteries made of special pixie-tears, I'm not saying John is making it up, but the Poly thread has taught me not to believe a lot of what he says.

The battery is non-standard and not an off-the-shelf item in that it has a BMS circuit, other that that, call me a skeptic.

You're entitled to your skepticism, if you have your own reasons. However, this is a public thread and I wouldn't wish others less knowledgeable than yourself to be led to believe that it's open season for generic cell-swaps with Mojo, as it could lead to danger to them and/or to their Mojo hardware. Therefore, you may do as you wish, with your Mojo, and I wish you good luck, but I would advise anyone else with a Mojo in need of a fresh cell to contact their dealer, in the first instance, to see what they are charging, and if that turns out to be too expensive, you might try e-mailing Chord Electronics Ltd, in the UK, to organise purchasing just the cell itself (probably shipped via a dealer), if one feels capable of installing the new cell safely, themselves.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #35,631 of 42,758
You're entitled to your skepticism, if you have your own reasons. However, this is a public thread and I wouldn't wish others less knowledgeable than yourself to be led to believe that it's open season for generic cell-swaps with Mojo, as it could lead to danger to them and/or to their Mojo hardware. Therefore, you may do as you wish, with your Mojo, and I wish you good luck, but I would advise anyone else with a Mojo in need of a fresh cell to contact their dealer, in the first instance, to see what they are charging, and if that turns out to be too expensive, you might try e-mailing Chord Electronics Ltd, in the UK, to organise purchasing just the cell itself (probably shipped via a dealer), if one feels capable of installing the new cell safely, themselves.

Yes I 100% agree, please nobody mess about with Lithium batteries unless you know what you are doing.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #35,632 of 42,758
You can choose to latch-onto that fragment of the quote that you know very well wasn't the reason I posted the quote. That's your prerogative.

No worries. I didn't take offense.

I happen to design materials for next generation lithium ion cells and teach M.Sc. courses in lithium ion construction and degradation. I'm not posting my concerns about this pack because I want to point fingers about design or part selection. I'm in this discussion because it would be a fun side project and I happen to have all the necessary equipment and knowledge.

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #35,633 of 42,758
Who knows, you may design the next best thing in lithium cells, if you apply yourself to it as a serious project.

Seriously, many of the best inventions in history have been from average Joes in their back garden shed, tinkering away at some problem or other they've noticed and decided to apply their mind to solving.

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #35,634 of 42,758
Who knows, you may design the next best thing in lithium cells, if you apply yourself to it as a serious project.

Seriously, many of the best inventions in history have been from average Joes in their back garden shed, tinkering away at some problem or other they've noticed and decided to apply their mind to solving.

I'm heavily applied on serious lithium ion work.

Improving the pack design for the mojo would just be a fun side project. No inventions are necessary; just knowledge and equipment. Nothing worthy of publications. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #35,635 of 42,758
If only 'the powers that (unfortunately) be' would release their stranglehold on the petro-dollar-based economy and stop suppressing scalar energy, we might not need to even bother with batteries...

But that's an off-topic can of worms.

Mar 16, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #35,636 of 42,758
Finally pulled the trigger on this one. Arrives tommorow.

Upgraded from dragonfly red, briefly considered the new Fiio Q5 but decided to give this one a shot based on everything I've heard. Exited to see if the hype is real.

Does anyone know if I can connect to my phone via a usb-c to usb OTG cable connected to a usb to micro USB (non OTG) cable? Does anyone have a single cable recommendation to connect to a Samsung note 8, or a good optical cable to connect to a PC?

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #35,637 of 42,758

Upgraded from dragonfly red, briefly considered the new Fiio Q5 but decided to give this one a shot based on everything I've heard. Exited to see if the hype is real.

Does anyone know if I can connect to my phone via a usb-c to usb OTG cable connected to a usb to micro USB (non OTG) cable? Does anyone have a single cable recommendation to connect to a Samsung note 8, or a good optical cable to connect to a PC?
I think you made the right decision, supposing you don't need Bluetooth.
Q5 is great, but Mojo sounds even better. As far as I know, you need OTG cable. I don't think plugging an OTG and non-OTG cable together will work.
I have recently upgraded my phone, so had to change my micro b to micro b USB cable for a micro b to type c one.
This should arrive tomorrow.

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #35,638 of 42,758

https://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-form-fit-usb-cable-by-moon-audio.html

It's a pricey cable, but if you stack the Mojo on the back of your phone this cable works perfectly (and doesn't stick out and get in the way of everything).

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #35,639 of 42,758
I think you made the right decision, supposing you don't need Bluetooth.
Q5 is great, but Mojo sounds even better. As far as I know, you need OTG cable. I don't think plugging an OTG and non-OTG cable together will work.
I have recently upgraded my phone, so had to change my micro b to micro b USB cable for a micro b to type c one.
This should arrive tomorrow.

The bluetooth did appeal and i would love to try the Q5 one day, but the limited reviews mention it being bright and that was the dealbreaker for me. I figured i would take the SQ hit on the move just to get the best sound during critical listening/evening relaxation.

Interesting, i read in the FAQ on the third post that the cable must be OTG on the phone end only, not on the mojo end. Im hoping to find a good one on amazon in time.

Also, does anyone know if the following cable would work from my PC?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasi...21227436&sr=8-5&keywords=toslink+optical&th=1
Am i right in thinking that optical would be best from a PC to reduce noise/interference?

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #35,640 of 42,758
The bluetooth did appeal and i would love to try the Q5 one day, but the limited reviews mention it being bright and that was the dealbreaker for me. I figured i would take the SQ hit on the move just to get the best sound during critical listening/evening relaxation.

Interesting, i read in the FAQ on the third post that the cable must be OTG on the phone end only, not on the mojo end. Im hoping to find a good one on amazon in time.

Also, does anyone know if the following cable would work from my PC?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink-Black/dp/B00L3KO3YU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1521227436&sr=8-5&keywords=toslink+optical&th=1
Am i right in thinking that optical would be best from a PC to reduce noise/interference?
The FAQ is right and I am wrong then. Every day we learn something new.
The Q5's treble is indeed a bit on the bright side. Mojo is much more relaxing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back