Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 14, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #35,597 of 42,759
I would have thought they were one entity, so I'm not entirely sure. He's now saying if my unit is still under warranty then it's no charge from him. I submitted my serial number so we'll see. Maybe just a miscommunication.

No, Chord don't operate like Apple, who have dedicated stores.

Chord dealers are under obligation to fulfill Chord warranty requirements, but they are nonetheless independent entities and in no way one & the same entity as Chord Electronics Ltd. That'd be a bit like Amazon being the same entity as the hundreds of thousands of companies whose products they sell.

Mar 15, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #35,598 of 42,759

Chord dealers are under obligation to fulfill Chord warranty requirements, but they are nonetheless independent entities and in no way one & the same entity as Chord Electronics Ltd. That'd be a bit like Amazon being the same entity as the hundreds of thousands of companies whose products they sell.

He states he contacted Chord, not a Chord dealer.

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #35,602 of 42,759
Mar 15, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #35,604 of 42,759
Apparently it's past it's warrenty and the repair is per hour with a base fee of 1 hour (which it's $100 an hour) and parts.

This has been a repetitive problem I've had with the Mojo since after the first half year of having it and something that's been sent to them for repairs before. Each time they would claim their ports or nothing but the highest quality and that shouldn't be the case, so for them to turn around and want to charge for what seems to be a design flaw is not cool to me.

It's not like the channel just fades out, it makes my monitors produce a loud bassy tone that has the potential to disturb my neighbors.

I'm out, probably selling it if I can't find a feasible route. Warrenty on a product like this should definitely be at least 2 years, especially if repairs are going go be that expensive. I could repair my smartphone screen two times over with that .

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #35,605 of 42,759
Apparently it's past it's warrenty and the repair is per hour with a base fee of 1 hour (which it's $100 an hour) and parts.
I'm out, probably selling it if I can't find a feasible route. Warrenty on a product like this should definitely be at least 2 years, especially if repairs are going go be that expensive. I could repair my smartphone screen two times over with that .
My Mojo has 2 yrs warranty. Depends on the retailer I guess? 16 months ago they swapped my year old Mojo for a new one due to battery problems. Warranty period started again of course. I left my first Mojo plugged in pretty much 24/7. I do full cycles with the 2nd one, works like a charm after 16 months. That said I am not sure if I would feel comfortable without warranty support. When the time comes (December) I might buy a new Mojo and sell the old one just for having the support. I love the sound, even after this much time. And I tested all popular portable DACs recently. Mojo beats them with its exceptionally natural and life-like sound presentation.

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #35,606 of 42,759
My Mojo has 2 yrs warranty. Depends on the retailer I guess? 16 months ago they swapped my year old Mojo for a new one due to battery problems. Warranty period started again of course. I left my first Mojo plugged in pretty much 24/7. I do full cycles with the 2nd one, works like a charm after 16 months. That said I am not sure if I would feel comfortable without warranty support. When the time comes (December) I might buy a new Mojo and sell the old one just for having the support. I love the sound, even after this much time. And I tested all popular portable DACs recently. Mojo beats them with its exceptionally natural and life-like sound presentation.
I'm satisfied with the product aside from the hiccups but the business tactics are ridiculous.

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #35,607 of 42,759

He states he contacted Chord, not a Chord dealer.

Mmmmm, yes, but there was a little uncertainty about that, in the sense that when some people say 'Chord', they mean their Chord dealer, whereas some people accurately mean Chord Electronics Ltd, in the UK.

My 3.5mm jacks are in need of repair for a second time and I'm about to run out of time on my warranty. So I contacted chord about a warranty repair and I was told that he would send an estimate and labor was $100 an hour.. when did they start charging for warranty repairs?

is it chord that wants to charge you, or the service/repair centre?

(still @ lwells) My assumption that @TheTrace may have meant his Chord dealer, was mainly because the dealer one purchased their Mojo from is the appropriate first point of contact. So... no misinterpretation intended :)

Mar 15, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #35,610 of 42,759
A year long warrenty on a device that needed to be repaired twice already (for the same thing). Two years should be minimal for something of this price, otherwise I'd be paying for half a Mojo in repairs. Maybe I'm just cynical.

What I find interesting about the battery life issue is that by far the majority people have no apparent issues with their Mojo battery after a couple of years use, yet a relatively small minority of people seem to have a problem with not just one battery but their replacement battery, too.

That's intriguing, but, to my mind, it seems quite unlikely that Chord are to blame, because the odds don't seem to stack up. Granted, not impossible, but unlikely.

If not one, but two batteries have failed in the same unit, I'd be looking more towards pattern of usage (one example could be repeatedly listening to Mojo whilst plugged-in, but before the battery has reached full charge, which might, potentially, lead to unnecessary thermally-induced wear&tear on the battery). Aside from pattern of usage, the quality of the regulation circuitry of the customer's chosen USB charger might be worth considering (although, admittedly, Mojo does have built-in protection circuitry, to handle most scenarios).

Please don't anyone jump to the conclusion that I'm trying to 'deflect' blame away from Chord. I'm simply saying that the chances of 2 consecutive batteries failing seems rather outlandish, to put it mildly. I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect that some other factor, such as an unusual pattern of usage, might be at play.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back