Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 6, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #34,066 of 42,759
And that lower distortion could come from its design (it certainly has lower measured distortion) rather than the fact that it has more output power.

The DAVE only outputs up to 154 mW at 300 ohms anyway. That's less than plenty of $100 headphone amps. And the HD 800 gets up to 600 ohms at some frequencies. All this isn't that relevant, though, because to reach 110 dB, the HD 800 only needs roughly 21 mW at 300 ohms. (Sure, it's 210 mW for 120 dB, but it's doubtful you'd ever get that loud, even with dynamic peaks.)

There just isn't any credible evidence that supports the notion that having excess power does anything at all to the sound, as long as the amp meets the basic requirements. (Which I linked to before.) If there is a difference in sound with a particular amp or DAC/amp and all of them have enough power for the headphone to reach the desired SPL, the difference must come from other aspects of the design aside from output power.
Yes, I believe the distortion measurements, unless it's terrible, is in the orders of magnitude lower than that of headphone distortion, but both distortions are in different domains. One electrically measured and the other acoustically or mechnical parameter. How does electrical distortion translates to acoustical is the question.

I know the difference between driven well vs sound signature of the headphones or the source. You make it sound like it's black and white, that if it gets loud, it's driven well and it's outputting the source's sig. If you tried iem, headphones, to speakers with various sources, you know it's not so black and white.

Also, there is a difference in being drive well to headphones sound refinement varying with sources. M1060 was more refined sounding out of CMA600i and Hugo 2. It's quite obvious.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #34,067 of 42,759
I know the difference between driven well vs sound signature of the headphones or the source. You make it sound like it's black and white, that if it gets loud, it's driven well and it's outputting the source's sig. If you tried iem, headphones, to speakers with various sources, you know it's not so black and white.

You make it sound like I'm new to this. (I am not.) But if the sound of a headphone barely changes at all when comparing driving it from the Mojo and driving it from far more powerful amps that cost thousands, that tells me it's being driven just fine by the Mojo.

The power requirements of headphones are not rocket science. Read this and this.

Also, there is a difference in being drive well to headphones sound refinement varying with sources. M1060 was more refined sounding out of CMA600i and Hugo 2. It's quite obvious.

And this confuses the matter for people because some will say it's being driven better out of something that sounds better to them and others will say it sounds better because the quality of the DAC is better.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #34,068 of 42,759

$500 amp doesn't sound as good as $1300 and $2000+ models, news at 11.

Tune in tomorrow when we investigate how well a Ford Mustang stacks up against a Lamborghini Aventador.

Oct 7, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #34,070 of 42,759
How to get the best sound out of the Mojo? R&D @Brimar Audio Labs, Hong Kong.

IMG_5255.jpg
IMG_5253.jpg
IMG_5252.jpg

Oct 7, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #34,072 of 42,759
Ok, I can see why someone would want a Mojo that looks different, but why did they have to put that huge sticker on it, "Sounds of luxury" for pete's sake,? That kind of ruins it for me. That along with the fingerprints and rough finish.

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #34,074 of 42,759
The only reason to copy the case if you are doing R&D, is if you are doing research into creating a fake. @Mojo ideas
The only saving grace is that if they are trying to create a fake, they still have many years of research needed into machining cases.

Don´t worry. It´s only the effects of the copper shielding on the SQ they´re testing, afaik.

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #34,075 of 42,759
Don´t worry. It´s only the effects of the copper shielding on the SQ they´re testing, afaik.
Their webpage contains the following phrases:
  • Double Helix DNA Background with 45 degree separation
  • Quantum, Cryo & Demagnetization for each cable
  • With more than 100 times gold filling than traditional industrial plating.
That is enough to persuade me that they are quoting pseudo-science, fruitloopery, etc, in an attempt to entice the gullible, into emptying their pockets of cash.
I imagine that they will soon be advertising Chord Mojos with bespoke copper case, and greatly improved (ie night and day improvement) RFI shielding, for a mere $1500 - and that they will find customers. :wink:

Oct 7, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #34,076 of 42,759
It's amazing the arrogance of some people.

Mess around with a few (often dubious/unfounded/unnecessary) modifications on a device that has a heritage of several decades R&D and then proudly badge it as if you created the entire device? (Translation: attempt to get rich quick, off the back of someone else's lifetime of labour)

Karma will intervene, soon enough...

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #34,080 of 42,759
For anyone who has been on the fence about upgrading to iOS 11 (like me), I wrote to Chord to ask if anyone at Chord has "fully tested and can advise on the stability and interoperability of the Mojo and the iPhone running iOS 11?"
Mitch Duce wrote back stating:
cleardot.gif

Hello David,

I’m personally running iOS11 on my iPhone 7 here at Chord. I’ve used it with Mojo, Hugo2 and Dave with no issues. Poly is also working faultlessly. I haven’t yet had any issues reported either so all is looking well!

Kind regards

Mitch Duce

I will now take the plunge and upgrade to iOS 11. Good to hear about the performance of the Poly as a bonus!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back