Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 3, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #34,006 of 42,758
try with computer and report back to see if mojo works?

Oct 3, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #34,007 of 42,758
During the last year Thanksgiving sale, I have got LCD-2. With Mojo, they sound weak. Sounds like they are not playing with full potential. Is it an issue with Mojo (can't power LCD-2) or my set of LCD-2 got some issues?
I had the LCD2 which I rid of due to less mid presence after getting it to drive properly. My experience was that it doesn't get driven easily like the dynamics(hd650) with the same source. Same issue with Ether Flow C. Mid presence wasn't all thay coherent. I mean come on, it cost 1.7k. Why do I get better clarity from a $300 planar? Unacceptable. Some of these high-end prices being such a disappointing risk is rediculous.

Who said more performance generally scale with price?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #34,008 of 42,758
I had the LCD2 which I rid of due to less mid presence after getting it to drive properly. My experience was that it doesn't get driven easily like the dynamics(hd650) with the same source. Same issue with Ether Flow C. Mid presence wasn't all thay coherent. I mean come on, it cost 1.7k. Why do I get better clarity from a $300 planar? Unacceptable. Some of these high-end prices being such a disappointing risk is rediculous.

Who said more performance generally scale with price?

So basically you're saying it's the headphones' fault that you didn't give them good amplification. Nice work.

Oct 3, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #34,009 of 42,758
During the last year Thanksgiving sale, I have got LCD-2. With Mojo, they sound weak. Sounds like they are not playing with full potential. Is it an issue with Mojo (can't power LCD-2) or my set of LCD-2 got some issues?

The Mojo doesn't do especially well with big planars that I've found. My LCD-X sounds significantly better out of the Deckard than the Mojo.

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #34,011 of 42,758
I did, it's like the pc/smartphone or mojo recognize the connection to mojo as the power button lights ip, but after a little while the power button goes off with the volume buttons still on. But no music being played at any time
Sounds like you have a fully depleted battery.
Turn it off; connect the charger; make sure the light under the charger is white and does not flash; leave it to charge overnight. If it is fully depleted, it could take 12 hours to re-charge.

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #34,012 of 42,758
The Mojo doesn't do especially well with big planars that I've found. My LCD-X sounds significantly better out of the Deckard than the Mojo.

The Deckard was exceptionally warm to me when I tried it at a meet last summer when I purchased my LCD-i4 (using my DAVE as a reference).

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #34,013 of 42,758
Turn it off; connect the charger; make sure the light under the charger is white and does not flash; leave it to charge overnight. If it is fully depleted, it could take 12 hours to re-charge.

I was thinking this, too. Are you sure you're charging it properly? Flashing white light under charging cable means it's NOT charging properly...and that you need to connect it to a more powerful charger...

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #34,016 of 42,758
I think people are confusing the sound signature of an amp with its ability to drive headphones. As long as the basic requirements are met, the same amount of power is used for any given headphone to reach any given SPL regardless of the amp. Just because you like the sound more doesn't mean it's "driving it better" or whatever.

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #34,018 of 42,758

Thank you so much kind sir. I have done that, it is now fully charged. But like before, when I first turn on mojo and connect it to pc/smartphone via otg cable it stays red for a short while then it will tunnoff. Thr volume buttons always stay on. Android says there is no USB, it asks me to (charge /midi/transfer files) ect. UAPP says that it cannot detect a dac. Windows shows nothing at all.

I don't have anything that will play to mojo via optical or coax. I have a tv.... But no audio sources.

Listening at music out of my phone is just garbage, I got so burned in with mojo thst nothing else is decent.

I loved my mojo and took very very good care of it.... I wish there was something I could do. Money is very tight and I wish I could fix it somehow myself

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #34,019 of 42,758
Thank you so much kind sir. I have done that, it is now fully charged. But like before, when I first turn on mojo and connect it to pc/smartphone via otg cable it stays red for a short while then it will tunnoff. Thr volume buttons always stay on. Android says there is no USB, it asks me to (charge /midi/transfer files) ect. UAPP says that it cannot detect a dac. Windows shows nothing at all.

I don't have anything that will play to mojo via optical or coax. I have a tv.... But no audio sources.

Listening at music out of my phone is just garbage, I got so burned in with mojo thst nothing else is decent.

I loved my mojo and took very very good care of it.... I wish there was something I could do. Money is very tight and I wish I could fix it somehow myself

Try uninstalling UAPP and restart your phone. Do the same with the Chord drivers on your windows pc.
If there is a red light when you plug in your phone that means a handshake between Mojo and the connected device has just been established.
Drivers could sometimes mess with the handshake so it makes sense to reinstall them if things aren't working.

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #34,020 of 42,758
I think people are confusing the sound signature of an amp with its ability to drive headphones. As long as the basic requirements are met, the same amount of power is used for any given headphone to reach any given SPL regardless of the amp. Just because you like the sound more doesn't mean it's "driving it better" or whatever.
I found, when comparing DAVE and Hugo TT, that at higher listening levels bass would sound very slightly "phat" on TT versus DAVE at the same level, playing into HD 800 S. Turning down the volume on both, the phatness disappeared from TT.

So, while TT theoretically has far more power and voltage swing than HD 800 S needs, it turns out that it's still possible to hear distortion at higher listening levels (not insane, about -22dB on DAVE, I don't know what colours that is on Mojo). Normally an amplifier's power is specified along with distortion, e.g. 0.1%. Distortion rises with increasing loudness and Chord's cheaper DACs with headphone output will be heard producing more distortion than expected at normal levels. DAVE, despite being more powerful, probably does have comparatively audible distortion with the trickiest, hardest to drive, headphones, even if it doesn't clip.

Before I did a proper comparison, I swore blind that TT is powerful enough for HD 800 S based on the specifications. Now I prefer to post occasional reminders that the power/distortion specifications are misleading. Mojo has about the same power/distortion ratings as Hugo TT.

My friend's Mojo sounds absolutely awesome driving HD 650s, for what it's worth. You have to spend thousands of dollars to get a worthwhile upgrade on that...

Now playing: Three's Company - Danny Boy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back