Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 15, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #33,782 of 42,765
You need to narrow down the root cause as to whether it is RFI, or clicks caused by your music player or phone settings. The solutions are different.
Well i hear both. Sometimes clicks and other times rfi :frowning2: im using the uapp with bit perfect enabled and streaming tidal or using own flac library

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #33,783 of 42,765
radio interference is pretty present on my mojo and samsung s8. I hear some interference especially on 4g but on wifi as well.
When the music is playing or just with no music? I haven't hooked up my phone in a while to the Mojo so maybe I should try and see what I experience.

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #33,784 of 42,765
Well i hear both. Sometimes clicks and other times rfi :frowning2: im using the uapp with bit perfect enabled and streaming tidal or using own flac library

1. Clicks/pops:
  • Increase buffer size at UAPP level,
  • Reduce phone`s CPU load by deactivating not needed applications.
Basically USB audio data is sent every 125us (isochronous transfer). DACs operating with asynchronous transfer mode ( Mojo case ) are using their own clock to control their buffer.
If their buffer size is too low or too high they send a request to the DAP for changing the number of bytes sent per packet. There is also a data integrity check at DAC side (CRC).
If CRC detects errors in the packet, there is no time for packet to be resent.
A player (phone/PC/DAP) with CPU overloaded may not send the USB audio packets regularly or change the packet size as requested by DAC or other applications.
An empty or full buffer generates cliks and pops.

2. RFI/EMI:
  • use a longer USB cable for adding distance between your phone and DAC
  • if phone and DAC are stack together you may try some metallic plate in between them in order to reduce phone interferences
I am often using UAPP/Mojo with an old smartphone acting exclusively as digital player only ( no phone / no wifi = flight mode + limited applications) and the only issues I may encounter are dealing with the USB cables connectors susceptibility to movements.

Edited:quote mistake corrected

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #33,785 of 42,765
Probably not much. The point of the Breeze is killing jitter and galvanic isolation, so it should be beneficial as a usb isolator. Optical already guarantees galvanic isolation and jitter may not be a big problem for the Mojo. So, like you have experienced, then optical out of your mac does not need any gadgets in between it and your Mojo. Too bad that that there is an auto shut down after 10 minutes. :angry:

I'm using an older Macbook that only goes to to 96khz over optical (and won't do 88khz either) so to get around this I bought a SMSL X-USB to convert USB to optical. Sound is great and interestingly Mojo no longer auto shuts off, so obviously the auto shut off thing is specific to certain sources. Anyway if you're after a cheap (I paid less than £45 via Amazon) way to isolate Mojo then this thing works well all the way up to 24/192.

Sep 15, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #33,786 of 42,765
I'm using an older Macbook that only goes to to 96khz over optical (and won't do 88khz either) so to get around this I bought a SMSL X-USB to convert USB to optical. Sound is great and interestingly Mojo no longer auto shuts off, so obviously the auto shut off thing is specific to certain sources. Anyway if you're after a cheap (I paid less than £45 via Amazon) way to isolate Mojo then this thing works well all the way up to 24/192.
Maybe it's not your Macbook but your optical cable, cheap optical cables, like the one I got from Amazon, can't handle files over 96khz.

Sep 15, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #33,787 of 42,765
Maybe it's not your Macbook but your optical cable, cheap optical cables, like the one I got from Amazon, can't handle files over 96khz.

Even though I use cheapo Fisual cables (about £5 each) they work fine at 192khz (never had a single dropout/issue) with my newer Macbook Pro, and also the X-USB.
The problem is that Apple didn't support these rates until after 2013: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202730

Sep 15, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #33,788 of 42,765
Even though I use cheapo Fisual cables (about £5 each) they work fine at 192khz (never had a single dropout/issue) with my newer Macbook Pro, and also the X-USB.
The problem is that Apple didn't support these rates until after 2013: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202730
Thanks for the info, the Fospower cable I got only handles 96khz and below. I will definitely check out Fisual cables.

Sep 15, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #33,789 of 42,765
I understand what you're saying: that you subjectively prefer the Mojo. And that's fine. But no one can deny that the Hugo 2 is better (ie higher fidelity) in an objective sense, because it's been demonstrated by extensive measurements and technical explanations of the advances in technology. The distinction between subjective and objective is crucial.
It should be better considering the Hugo 2 costs $2300 more than the Mojo here in Canada.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #33,791 of 42,765
It should be better considering the Hugo 2 costs $2300 more than the Mojo.

Not sure where you're getting that number from. The current US retail price of the Hugo 2 is $2,379 while the Mojo is $529, so the difference is $1,850. In the UK, the prices are a bit lower for at least one shop that is still selling with a VAT-excluded option, so it would appear that they either ship to the US or let US customers buy online and then pick it up. Their prices for that are £1,499 (~$2,036) and £332 (~$450), making the difference ~$1,586.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #33,792 of 42,765
Not sure where you're getting that number from. The current US retail price of the Hugo 2 is $2,379 while the Mojo is $529, so the difference is $1,850. In the UK, the prices are a bit lower for at least one shop that is still selling with a VAT-excluded option, so it would appear that they either ship to the US or let US customers buy online and then pick it up. Their prices for that are £1,499 (~$2,036) and £332 (~$450), making the difference ~$1,586.
That's Canadian.Sorry, I forgot to put CAD.
We always pay more for everything here.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #33,793 of 42,765
iPhone + Mojo, Sept-2017 New stack build with custom cable and custom cases
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ip...uild-with-custom-cable-and-custom-case.22654/

Teaser:

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #33,794 of 42,765
PM1 headphone 3.5mm jack did not fit mojo at all. luckily my dealer recommended a grado 6.4mm to 3.5mm headphone adaptor with the short 15cm cable. works brilliantly. i was wondering how other pm1/mojo owners solved this issue as its never mentioned.

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #33,795 of 42,765
Going to buy a Schiit Valhalla 2 amp, using my mojo as dac into that would be double amping right?

Would using a modi 2 dac to valhalla 2 sound better than using the mojo setup for hd650? Can't afford anything else than that for a dac at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back