Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 18, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #30,406 of 42,765
you can not provide galvanic isolation with any device to mojo because mojo needs USB power for functioning . if you remove power line from USB, USB input of mojo won't work imho. so these so called galvanic isolators are just replacing the power line from sources (laptop, tab or phone ) with there own clean power. now it will all depend how clean that power as compared to power from source which already operating battery. imho measures like jitterbug and ferrite cores are very effective in reducing high frequency noise which 'may' be present in the source which is already operating on battery.

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #30,408 of 42,765
Hmmm I just realised the Olimex is limited to 24/48, due to the 'Full Speed' limitation. The Intona provides 'High Speed' galvanic isolation with no external power supply required but is half the cost of the Mojo itself. Toslink wins again for my setup. I can see (and hear) why Rob prefers this connection for the Mojo. I think he mentioned somewhere that USB wins if it has galvanic isolation but to do that properly with the Mojo you need the Intona if you have music above 24/48.

Unless I can find a cheaper 'High Speed' USB isolator

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #30,409 of 42,765
Here's a thought i am playing with... If i solder one stereo jack to collect only left channel in mono setup, and another stereo jack in the similar way as a right mono, end both cables with three pin xlr, will I manage to use this as fully ballanced setup, utilizing MOJO's dual 3.5mm outs?

Or is there anything I don't know a out either about mojo (maybe slight delay between the outputs) or about balanced connection (as pono balanced output has trs connectors, and I my idea counts only with ts setup).

Many thanks in advance to anyone better versed in audio connections for sharing their opinion with me.

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #30,412 of 42,765
Hello everyone,

Currently i have a 3 week old chord mojo with me, and i am noticing that currently the battery life last less than 8 hours after a full charge
I usually charge the mojo overnight when i sleep, and i never use the mojo while charging the battery simultaneously.
Post #3 mentioned that it should be fine but is there anyone experiencing the same thing as i do? Also i notice some sort of a buzzing sound when i charge the mojo.

Does this warrant me to file a claim to the seller? 
My mojo is number 42xxx and i charge it using a sony z5 phone charger if it matters

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #30,413 of 42,765
  Hello everyone,

Currently i have a 3 week old chord mojo with me, and i am noticing that currently the battery life last less than 8 hours after a full charge
I usually charge the mojo overnight when i sleep, and i never use the mojo while charging the battery simultaneously.
Post #3 mentioned that it should be fine but is there anyone experiencing the same thing as i do? Also i notice some sort of a buzzing sound when i charge the mojo.

My mojo is number 42xxx and i charge it using a sony x5 phone charger if it matters

Battery life varies.

Lower-impedance headphones/IEMs will drain it a bit faster - and the volume you listen at will have an effect too.

With SE846 I'd generally see about 6 hours of life.

Mine emitted a high-pitched whine when charging.  This would stop after a few minutes.  Didn't matter what I charged it with (iPhone, iPad, Anker high-capacity chargers, big-external battery packs, lab-grade supplies etc.).  The whine was supposedly down to some component issue in early units that was later fixed, but I've heard it with newer units too.

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #30,414 of 42,765
Battery life varies.

Lower-impedance headphones/IEMs will drain it a bit faster - and the volume you listen at will have an effect too.

Mine emitted a high-pitched whine when charging.  This would stop after a few minutes.  Didn't matter what I charged it with (iPhone, iPad, Anker high-capacity chargers, big-external battery packs, lab-grade supplies etc.).  The whine was supposedly down to some component issue in early units that was later fixed, but I've heard it with newer units too.

I have a whine noise and I have a newer unit.

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #30,415 of 42,765
  Hello everyone,

My mojo is number 42xxx and i charge it using a sony z5 phone charger if it matters

Hello,

I think that the battery life will be partly dependant on the impedance of the headphones, and how loud you listen.

Regarding the charging noise, there are a few posts about this subject, in the battery and charging section of post #3. I have copied a selection:

I use a samsung phone charger without any problems, and apple chargers and anker chargers are popular (because they work well) with posters on this thread.

Usually a change of charger cures the noise problems, but occasionally a change of cable is needed.

So I suggest trying an alternative charger as a first step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Watts 

The noise is due to ripple voltage on the charger upsetting the inductors/capacitors within Mojo. If you use a clean quality PSU and a low resistance USB cable to the charger PSU the mechanical noise should be silent or insignificant. 

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Watts 

The problem is a noisy USB VBUS power line, and this makes the inductors in Mojo vibrate. Also, some USB cables have high resistance, and this makes the problem worse - so using a different cable can make the mechanical noise go away. The PSU itself can make it better or worse. Don't worry about it if you hear the noise, Mojo is not faulty and will continue to be reliable.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra97oR 

Further testing on the charger and cable compatibility. Chosen Anker PowerPort 5 for good measured performance and multi-port charging with Anker PowerLine due to good construction with braid + foil shielding. All are available at a reasonable price.

Case 1: Virtually silent, only heard very minor hiss when ear is pretty much on the unit
Case 2: Only noticeable hiss when you put your ears near the unit
Case 3: Loud whine lasting the only the first few seconds, faint charging noise after that.
Case 4: Loud whine, and it goes on for a few seconds and off for a few (voltage drop causing charging circuit to shut down)

Combo 1: Sony or Samsung charger + Sony or Samsung USB cable + extension cord = Case 4

Combo 2: Sony or Samsung charger + Any cable = Case 3

Combo 3: Apple 1A charger + Sony or Samsung USB cable = Case 2

Combo 4: Anker charger + Sony or Samsung USB cable = Case 2, slightly quieter than combo 3

Combo 5: Sony or Samsung charger + long 6ft Anker cable (same cable length as Combo 1) = Case 3

Combo 6: Apple 1A charger + Anker cable/Chord Mojo's bundled cable = Case 1

Combo 7: Anker charger + Anker cable/Chord Mojo's bundled cable = Case 1, slightly quieter than combo 6 directly compared, with no pattern to the noise (always the same loudness)

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #30,416 of 42,765

Battery life varies.

Thank you for your explanation Torq,

I am just wondering, because on the first week i can expect my mojo to last close to ten hours just as advertised when fully charged. On the second week battery life was around 9 to 8,5+ hours, and i thought this is normal because i charge them overnight. I didn't use it with any other headphones/iem except with my JH5, and volumes are on blue & muddy blue most of the time. If, by any chance the battery life keeps draining faster with my current setup & setting, does this means that i have a faulty mojo?

Hello,

I think that the battery life will be partly dependant on the impedance of the headphones, and how loud you listen.

Regarding the charging noise, there are a few posts about this subject, in the battery and charging section of post #3. I have copied a selection:

I use a samsung phone charger without any problems, and apple chargers and anker chargers are popular (because they work well) with posters on this thread.

Usually a change of charger cures the noise problems, but occasionally a change of cable is needed.

So I suggest trying an alternative charger as a first step.

Thank you for your explanation miketlse

I am glad to know that the whining sound that it produces doesn't affect its performance in any way. I will try to get my hands on other types of charger to see if it is any better. Now i'm just worried if i the decreasing battery life is to be expected or it is some kind of a faulty battery

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #30,418 of 42,765

It's been a while since I used my Mojo so I got poisoned again when I did this.

That optical cable is nice where can I buy it?

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #30,420 of 42,765
Any of them works with OnePlus 3? I don't see in description

This one works on OnePlus 3: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Type-C-to-MicroUSB-OTG-Cable-for-USB-DAC-Nexus-6P-5X-Zuk-Xiaomi-Meizu-Grey-/252476403589?

Thanks, I have meenova cable to connect Mojo to my iTouch 5G and it is fantastic. I will buy this.
By the way, does Tidal work directly with this cable wothout anything any other app like UAPP?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back