Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 5, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #30,062 of 42,759
Hi guys!
What happens if I connect my Hd800 to the amplifier Cambridge cxa60 which is sourced by MOJO through a jack-rca cable?
What is the difference with connecting the headphones directly to mojo?
What does the amplifier in the middle do? Does it do anything at all that mojo doesn't do? Do you think it improves the sound?

Cheers guys

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #30,063 of 42,759

Thank you for your reply.

I was listening last night to Glenn Hansard's album, Rhythm and Repose, the MQA version (TIDAL really needs to add a directory for MQA albums as well as an easy way to identify them in a listing), and as soon as it began I could tell how much better the upper frequencies sounded; it's more noticeable, in my opinion, than the difference between Redbook and Hi Rez in most cases. My plan is to buy a Hugo 2, but the notion of an add-on, although an excellent idea, doesn't appeal to my simplicity sensibilities.

I do wonder, since Chord uses proprietary DAC technology, whether intellectual property is an issue for them in adoption. I'm not clear what MQA requires of the manufacturer in regards to DAC technology.

I agree with everything you say.  On my system, the Mojo doesn't do well on Tidal MQA (green or yellow light) it won't play, or stalls, or hickups, etc so I actually set up the desktop app to bypass the sw decoder and it still sounds wonderful (red light) -- go figure.

There seems to be an intense dislike of MQA among all the hardware manufacturers, and maybe that is not so strange.  After all, if - and I do say if - the same goal can be achieved with software at very little expense and without the clutter of boxes, cables, power cords, well then it follows that the market for (super)expensive DACs will shrink most dramatically.  Only a few brave ones have bucked the trend and jumped on (rather than get crushed?) but Chord is apparently not one of them.  Even dCS (which also employs FPGA technology) has developed the product internally for use in their ultra-expensive units but is holding off distribution until the music content is a proven success.  Talk about playing both sides of the fence!  At the end of the day, I think it comes down to a straight-forward business calculation, i.e. dollars-and-cents.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #30,064 of 42,759
Hi guys!
What happens if I connect my Hd800 to the amplifier Cambridge cxa60 which is sourced by MOJO through a jack-rca cable?
What does the amplifier in the middle do? Does it do anything at all that mojo doesn't do? Do you think it improves the sound?

Cheers guys

I use Beyerdynamic DT1770 (250 ohm) phones together with a Beyerdynamic A20 headphone amp (a table top model) and I feel the amp does bring a little something to the party.  Not to achieve higher playback volume or lower bass or any such measurable performance, but I perceive a somewhat more dynamic, engaging presentation.  Not strictly necessary by any means, but a little icing on the cake IMHO.  

Well, you apparently already have the ingredients, what do you think?

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #30,065 of 42,759
Hi guys!

Cheers guys

I would not recommend doing it...I doubt very much the headphone amplifier section in the Cambridge is anywhere near as good as the Mojo's

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #30,066 of 42,759
Hi guys!

Cheers guys

You'll really need to compare directly to know. I drove the HD 800 from the 430HAD, HDVD 800, and Mojo, and did not hear any major differences as far as the basic sound signature of the HD 800 goes. I only compared the first two directly and did not notice any differences then. I did not compare the Mojo directly, but I feel that it is fine enough for driving it given my prior statement. However, I had serious problems with the sound of the HD 800 that could not be fixed with EQ and solid state electronics alone. If you have no such issues with it, it may be worth experimenting with gear to get the sound you want. Just remember that there is no guarantee you will like it more.

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #30,068 of 42,759
  If the audible hiss (this should be only at the end of the charging cycle when in trickle charge mode) bothers you, then by all means leave it on. It's perfectly OK to do this.

Hey Rob,
I'm on my second Mojo (both were 'newer' coded units) and what you suggest doesn't fix this problem, if anything leaving the unit on whilst plugged in/charging is exactly what causes it to hiss, both my units did this, and it didn't matter what charger (Apple/Anker/iFi) or cable I used, the hiss was identical.
Interestingly, the second unit stops hissing when music is being played, but even if I pause the music, the hissing comes back.
To be honest, although it's a bit annoying I can live with it hissing whilst it isn't playing music (if I turn off the unit it stops), the first unit hissed whilst playing music though, which I found unacceptable.

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #30,069 of 42,759
Coax cable for Fiio X3ii to Mojo has finally arrived from Hong Kong (this one: http://penonaudio.com/Coaxial-Decoding-cable-for-Chord-Mojo-with-DAP) but when I try to play DSD 128 files won't play, the Fiio states that file is not supported. It plays it fine direct to the headphones but not via the coax. Have I got something wrong, here? Is the cable the problem? Thanks for any help!
Chris

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #30,070 of 42,759
  Coax cable for Fiio X3ii to Mojo has finally arrived from Hong Kong (this one: http://penonaudio.com/Coaxial-Decoding-cable-for-Chord-Mojo-with-DAP) but when I try to play DSD 128 files won't play, the Fiio states that file is not supported. It plays it fine direct to the headphones but not via the coax. Have I got something wrong, here? Is the cable the problem? Thanks for any help!
Chris

OK, I've answered my own question. See here: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40503 
Does anyone know a workaround? Or is it easy enough to convert my 128 DSDs to 64?
Thanks for any help! 

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #30,071 of 42,759
Hi friends,
after reading a lot, analyzing all your points of view and your recommendations aligned with my tastes of rock (70% of time) and jazz (30%) I have built the short list of my self-present for my 50th birthday to these 2 options to be connecte almost all time to Mojo:
  1. Hifiman Edition X V2
  2. MrSpeakers Ehter Flow (open version)
No doubt that HEX will pair fantastically with Mojo, but is Mojo enough powerful to drive Ether Flow?
In Spain there is a 600€ (aprox $700) of price difference between them (HEX cheaper). In case Mojo can work with both of them, is it worth the difference?

Thanks for your final opinions.

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #30,072 of 42,759
  Hi friends,
after reading a lot, analyzing all your points of view and your recommendations aligned with my tastes of rock (70% of time) and jazz (30%) I have built the short list of my self-present for my 50th birthday to these 2 options to be connecte almost all time to Mojo:
  1. Hifiman Edition X V2
  2. MrSpeakers Ehter Flow (open version)
No doubt that HEX will pair fantastically with Mojo, but is Mojo enough powerful to drive Ether Flow?
In Spain there is a 600€ (aprox $700) of price difference between them (HEX cheaper). In case Mojo can work with both of them, is it worth the difference?

Sorry I have tried neither option, but I hope that other posters can help you decide. 
normal_smile .gif

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #30,073 of 42,759
Might be of interest:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/02/comparison-hardware-decoded-mqa-using.html

Oh my, all these charts and diagrams ... I hope you're not intending to send us back to the evil Hirsch-Houck Laboratories days of yore!  

Now, RW did say "if I hear ..." [italics mine] -- well guess what, from a quick perusal there's not a single mentioning of how anything sounds in this article (interesting though) 

Most of the time I find myself siding with RW but I do think not only does the MQA process have merit, but the Tidal platform itself (w or wo MQA) has potential to revolutionize how we listen to music;

. what? no more shelves of CDs and LPs!  
. what? no more equipment/components!  
. what? no more cables and power cords all over the place!
. what? no more FedEx deliveries!

When I think of it, reminds me of the good old days of radio -- can anyone remember that?  Except, there's no DJ anymore, it's self service all the time.  Quite sad, really

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #30,074 of 42,759
Oh my, all these charts and diagrams ... I hope you're not intending to send us back to the Hirsch-Houck Laboratories of yore!  

RW did say "if I hear ..." [italics mine] -- well guess what, from a quick perusing there's not a single mentioning of how anything sounds in this article (interesting though) 

Most of the time I find myself siding with RW but I do think not only does the MQA process have merit, but the Tidal platform itself (w or wo MQA) has potential to revolutionize how we listen to music;

. what? no more shelves of CDs and LPs!  
. what? no more boxes of equipment!  
. what? no more cables and power cords all over the place!
. what? no more FedEx deliveries!

When I think of it, reminds me of the good old days of radio -- can anyone remember that?  Except, there's no DJ anymore, it's self service all the time.  Quite sad, really

Really missing the good old days!!!

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #30,075 of 42,759
Hi friends,
  • Hifiman Edition X V2
  • MrSpeakers Ehter Flow (open version)

The Mojo easily drives the ETHER Flow. I listen to the combination often and have the Mojo set to double red, or slightly below, on average for a listening level around 75-80dB. There is more than enough headroom to damage your hearing if you choose to do so. As for sound preferences I can't help you as I haven't heard the HEX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back