Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 31, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #29,867 of 42,759
  Bought an Anker charger (this) and used the included cable to check for noise.
Roughly 50% quieter than using an HTC charger, but still noisy. Same result using another cable I bought for about $8 US.
Anyone else have this experience?

Not sure if I just wasted money I could have used for more music...

Besides noise from charger, EMI could another source of noise. I did a simple test here:

If EMI is the issue, USB isolator might help to isolate the USB ground from the analog circuit. I found that Mojo USB ground is connected to the analog ground.

Compared to ifi micro iDSD Black-Label:

Jan 31, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #29,868 of 42,759
I have a newer model of the mojo now.

With the new model there is now noise on trickle charge, where the old one was silent on the same setup.

Jan 31, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #29,869 of 42,759

Besides noise from charger, EMI could another source of noise. I did a simple test here: (Removed for ease of quoting)

If EMI is the issue, USB isolator might help to isolate the USB ground from the analog circuit. I found that Mojo USB ground is connected to the analog

I too thought that EMI might be the problem so I moved both the charger and the Mojo from other electronics and used a cable with ferrite cores attached on both ends.
Still noisy. Been looking at the Schiit Wyrd but I have my doubts, whether it will work or not.

Tyvm for your post.

I have a newer model of the mojo now.

With the new model there is now noise on trickle charge, where the old one was silent on the same setup.

I wonder why that might be?
I assume you made your guide based on your previous Mojo, hence our results being different?

Jan 31, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #29,870 of 42,759
Just ordered the Mojo, can't wait to receive it. I'm excited to finally have a truly portable hi-fi system. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #29,871 of 42,759
I too thought that EMI might be the problem so I moved both the charger and the Mojo from other electronics and used a cable with ferrite cores attached on both ends.

Still noisy. Been looking at the Schiit Wyrd but I have my doubts, whether it will work or not.

Tyvm for your post.

I wonder why that might be?

I assume you made your guide based on your previous Mojo, hence our results being different?

Just avoid USB and use optical. Problem solved

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #29,873 of 42,759
Jan 31, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #29,874 of 42,759

Just avoid USB and use optical. Problem solved

If only it were that simple! Its more of a power related issue, not an audio problem.

I use optical exclusively on Mojo when it is at home. The "noise" is related to audible noise coming from the unit instead of "signal degrading noise" coming out of the 3.5mm jacks.

I am not sure what have changes on the new one, but the ripple charge (or when fully charged and used as a desktop DAC) is now audible when it is left on a desk at a reasonable distance.

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #29,875 of 42,759
Thoughts on this new case? Pretty elegant solution if you are fine with pairing Mojo with the AK70.

2a8f108f823d4f5bed83708a35405e5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #29,876 of 42,759
Besides noise from charger, EMI could another source of noise. I did a simple test here:

If EMI is the issue, USB isolator might help to isolate the USB ground from the analog circuit. I found that Mojo USB ground is connected to the analog ground.

Compared to ifi micro iDSD Black-Label:

Nice video and pictures.
Nevertheless it is also a bit confusing since:
1. Resistance measurements are done at USB shield level.(Not all cables are shielded at all or at both ends)
2. Noise measurements are done through different USB cable (with & without jumper)

That said, regarding Mojo, it is true that all In/Out grounds are common.
Rgds.

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #29,877 of 42,759

I use optical exclusively on Mojo when it is at home. The "noise" is related to audible noise coming from the unit instead of "signal degrading noise" coming out of the 3.5mm jacks.

I am not sure what have changes on the new one, but the ripple charge (or when fully charged and used as a desktop DAC) is now audible when it is left on a desk at a reasonable distance.

For the reason, I was thinking of getting a linear USB power supply to feed the mojo.  There wouldn't be any switching at all.  But that's only a guess as to the source of it.  

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #29,878 of 42,759
  Just ordered the Mojo, can't wait to receive it. I'm excited to finally have a truly portable hi-fi system. 

Congrats! Your music listening is about to become transformative. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #29,880 of 42,759
@x RELIC x & anyone else who owns higher-end Chord DACs:

Could you go to 1:50 in this track and compare the impact of the drums for me?

(Mojo first, then the others. I guess you should use headphones that excel at impact too. Crank the volume so you can feel the impact and try volume-matching as well as you can. And feel free to enjoy the entire track. It's from this phenomenal movie.)

I noticed that cheap DAC/amps and the like hit a lot harder than the Mojo in this respect, although the Mojo has much better sound quality. I was hoping the DAVE, Hugo 2, etc. would also hit harder like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back