Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 27, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #29,731 of 42,765

Like I mentioned in my reply, as far as I can tell, it's the same material and color as the rest of the chassis.

Why do you need to read it in dim light anyway? I always have the lights on when playing music, and it's not like I'm going to forget which DAC I'm using.

I was thinking in terms of pictures like http://www.head-fi.org/t/831345/lightbox/post/13152698/id/1789468

I presumed that the letters were printed, but you reckon they are just machined.
Do you always listen to music in bright light? How about late in the evening, with the lights dimmed? Reading those letters will get even harder as one gets older.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #29,732 of 42,765
  I was thinking in terms of pictures like http://www.head-fi.org/t/831345/lightbox/post/13152698/id/1789468

I presumed that the letters were printed, but you reckon they are just machined.
Do you always listen to music in bright light? How about late in the evening, with the lights dimmed? Reading those letters will get even harder as one gets older.

Even in that photo you can see that the logo letters are precision cut out of the metal, not printed. Look up more photos on Google Images (of both the Hugo and Hugo 2) and you can see that more clearly.

I meant why do you need to read the letters in the first place?

I keep the lights on nearly all the time because where my computer is in the room, it would be bad for my eyes if I didn't.

Edit: Oh wait. You meant the letters for the balls. Those appear to be anodized. It only takes a few seconds to memorize which ball corresponds to which function.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #29,733 of 42,765
I am concerned about battery life in the Hugo 2. The first info on it from What Hi-Fi said it had longer-life batteries. I think according to info Chord Electronics gave them. ...Yet somehow people see to have worked out that Hugo 2 will have less battery life than the first Hugo. (Confused emoticon.)

I hope it's not less that original Hugo as it will bring it into the battery life range of the Mojo. Eight hours really is bottom line or borderline battery life for a music gadget.
Yes I agree however Rob is this time using all the resources possible nigh on every logic gate is now active with the current Xilinx FPGA this has boosted the current requirements to about twice the original Hugo's FPGA however by the time of production we will have the new higher power batteries that will more than compensate for this. So all should be happy with the playing times.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #29,734 of 42,765

Even in that photo you can see that the logo letters are precision cut out of the metal, not printed. Look up more photos on Google Images (of both the Hugo and Hugo 2) and you can see that more clearly.

I meant why do you need to read the letters in the first place?

I keep the lights on nearly all the time because where my computer is in the room, it would be bad for my eyes if I didn't.

Edit: Oh wait. You meant the letters for the balls. Those appear to be anodized. It only takes a few seconds to memorize which ball corresponds to which function.

I had to take a second look at that photo - 'precision cut', they must be using a laser. 
biggrin.gif

You obviously have a better memory than me for remembering which button is which, and which socket is which, on your hifi gear.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #29,735 of 42,765
What about galvanic isolation. does the hugo or mojo benefit from an intona industrial. it has been said on the forums that  the mojo does greatly. also many thanks to all here the feedback is great. finally is there a truly noticeable difference between the hugo dac and the mojo dac sound as standalone and also into a a quality tube amp.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #29,736 of 42,765
What about galvanic isolation. does the hugo or mojo benefit from an intona industrial. it has been said on the forums that  the mojo does greatly. also many thanks to all here the feedback is great. finally is there a truly noticeable difference between the hugo dac and the mojo dac sound as standalone and also into a a quality tube amp.

1. Yes the Intona benefits both Mojo and Hugo.

2. Hugo and Mojo have different sound signitures. Hugo sounds a bit faster, more dynamic, shows more micro detail,wider soundstage, etc. it is the more realistic one.

Mojo sounds almost as good as Hugo in many respects but has a more intimate sound stage and a thicker sound signiture. Mojo was tuned to be 'Smooth' so since you are pairing it with a tube amp the Hugo should make a better pairing.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #29,737 of 42,765
  and just out of curiousity, which ones  would you vote for in not needing EQ? I'd love to find a perfectly balanced set of cans...problem is, everyone's prefs of a great or ideal sound sig are  often  unique.
i'm a basshead 'lite', for example: meaning while i love great bass, it has to be balance. I'm also getting away from too much sub bass I feel it can bleed into other areas...but other bass lovers would poo poo me as not appreciating bass. so my idea of  balanced cans wouldn't be to their liking...and vice versa, most likely.
or am i missing something?

I went with the Elears, haven't once thought about even looking at the EQ. I also love good bass, must be fast, deep, accurate and can go low. These do all of that imo, you can hear all of the bass but it doesn't overpower anything else. The detail in the bass is very good also.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #29,738 of 42,765

I am concerned about battery life in the Hugo 2. The first info on it from What Hi-Fi said it had longer-life batteries. I think according to info Chord Electronics gave them. ...Yet somehow people see to have worked out that Hugo 2 will have less battery life than the first Hugo. (Confused emoticon.)

I hope it's not less that original Hugo as it will bring it into the battery life range of the Mojo. Eight hours really is bottom line or borderline battery life for a music gadget.

Yes I agree however Rob is this time using all the resources possible nigh on every logic gate is now active with the current Xilinx FPGA this has boosted the current requirements to about twice the original Hugo's FPGA however by the time of production we will have the new higher power batteries that will more than compensate for this. So all should be happy with the playing times.

Fingers crossed. Good luck with it then.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #29,739 of 42,765

digital streamers: a growing area, but still confusing to many.

heck only a few yrs ago we were told a good DAC is all we needed (and good cans/iems)

to truly enjoy digital USB audio...not any more I guess.

Classy! Sonore’s microRendu takes digital audio higher

by John H. Darko

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/classy-sonores-microrendu-takes-digital-audio-higher/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back