Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 26, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #29,686 of 42,759

imo the most enjoyable headphones to use are the ones that dont need any mods or EQ, the rabbit hole can seem endless.

and just out of curiousity, which ones  would you vote for in not needing EQ? I'd love to find a perfectly balanced set of cans...problem is, everyone's prefs of a great or ideal sound sig are  often  unique.
i'm a basshead 'lite', for example: meaning while i love great bass, it has to be balance. I'm also getting away from too much sub bass I feel it can bleed into other areas...but other bass lovers would poo poo me as not appreciating bass. so my idea of  balanced cans wouldn't be to their liking...and vice versa, most likely.
or am i missing something?

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #29,687 of 42,759
hugo2-e1483783681971.jpg

Black or silver? That is the question.

So how many of you fellow Mojo'ers are thinkin' of adding the Hugo 2 to your systems?

I think the ultimate compliment to the Mojo is that listening to it is such a revelation that it tempts me to upgrade to a higher-end Chord DAC sooner than planned.

Lol, Mojo's sound drove me to acquire the DAVE last year. :eek:

I'm considering the Hugo2 to replace the Mojo based on early reports of the sonic performance. Black is the only choice for me.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #29,688 of 42,759
I am concerned about battery life in the Hugo 2. The first info on it from What Hi-Fi said it had longer-life batteries. I think according to info Chord Electronics gave them. ...Yet somehow people see to have worked out that Hugo 2 will have less battery life than the first Hugo. (Confused emoticon.)

I hope it's not less that original Hugo as it will bring it into the battery life range of the Mojo. Eight hours really is bottom line or borderline battery life for a music gadget.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #29,690 of 42,759
  I am concerned about battery life in the Hugo 2. The first info on it from What Hi-Fi said it had longer-life batteries. I think according to info Chord Electronics gave them. ...Yet somehow people see to have worked out that Hugo 2 will have less battery life than the first Hugo. (Confused emoticon.)

I hope it's not less that original Hugo as it will bring it into the battery life range of the Mojo. Eight hours really is bottom line or borderline battery life for a music gadget.

I'd never come close to depleting its power in a single day either way.

The secret to enjoying music is to not overdo it. Ya gotta set aside a limited amount of time for it per day. If you did nothing but play music constantly, you would become desensitized, and it would lose much of its effect.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #29,691 of 42,759
  After long listening, I found mojo, for high-impedance HP, need a decent tube amp, not SS.
With hd6xx it tends to produce a very harsh sound and have an lack of impact.
But with low-impedance HP or IEM, it is full-bodied and very quite resolving.

I will leave some my views after getting my amp and pairing it with mojo.

that's not quite right, mojo feeding Hd650 is incredible to my ears, resolving yet silky smooth.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #29,692 of 42,759

hugo2-e1483783681971.jpg

So how many of you fellow Mojo'ers are thinkin' of adding the Hugo 2 to your systems?

I think the ultimate compliment to the Mojo is that listening to it is such a revelation that it tempts me to upgrade to a higher-end Chord DAC sooner than planned.

ill take the black hugo 2 (after saving up for 14 months...) 

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #29,693 of 42,759
  and just out of curiousity, which ones  would you vote for in not needing EQ? I'd love to find a perfectly balanced set of cans...problem is, everyone's prefs of a great or ideal sound sig are  often  unique.
i'm a basshead 'lite', for example: meaning while i love great bass, it has to be balance. I'm also getting away from too much sub bass I feel it can bleed into other areas...but other bass lovers would poo poo me as not appreciating bass. so my idea of  balanced cans wouldn't be to their liking...and vice versa, most likely.
or am i missing something?

LCD2 are very well balanced imo, the ones I had were much brighter than the dark sound people were calling them.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #29,694 of 42,759

John from Chord commented in the Hugo 2 thread that they have gone back to their battery supplier to come up with a better solution for the Hugo 2. He expressed he is looking for at least a 20% improvement, and he sounded hopeful that it would happen.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #29,695 of 42,759

hugo2-e1483783681971.jpg

I'm definitely planning on getting a Hugo 2. I had the original Hugo in black, but this time due to the improved aesthetics, I'm going for the silver version.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #29,697 of 42,759
1980 pages on, people are still asking about source differences. If there is only one reason to get Poly, I think it is to hear how all the Chord technology sounds together. I don't have the time or interest in testing so many sources, but I am very interested to hear a full on Chord device. It will definitely not be case closed, but hopefully Poly takes the Mojo to a high level, although it never has slouched IMO.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #29,699 of 42,759

I, too, have been led to believe from John and Rob's comments there is no op amp in the analog path.

Isn't it discrete output stage (JFET, etc.) and not op amp?

That's the reason Mojo can be used as a Pre-Amp or DAC only which i use daily at my home !

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #29,700 of 42,759
Has to be a good amp to handle the Mojo, though, which I'm sure 95% of you here have. I tried hooking the Mojo to my (cheaper) Cayin C5 and the effect was to veil the detail and sharpness of the Mojo's own output. Still, it added a fun, rumbling bass which is great for listening to some genres

Users who are viewing this thread

Back