Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 8, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #28,622 of 42,759
harpo1 Agreed 100%. I've dealt with the public in several of my businesses and have been abused in far worse ways for far less things I've said or done... Or when I've said or done nothing at all. Customers can be very abusive, but you can't let it get to you and if it does, you shouldn't show it.

I don't see where people have been abusive towards him though. Yes, theyve complained about the price, but they haven't attacked him personally.

It doesn't take direct, abusive behavior to be disrespectful.

Someone on this thread in his/her anger about the price suggested it was a fluke that the Mojo sold so well ... I couldn't believe someone could make such a comment. As to the thickness of John's skin, it's not relevant. We are all different and have different abilities. John's happens to be running a highly successful company with sales in the tens of millions, if not more.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #28,624 of 42,759
I'm comparing price relative to the price of the item.

If Poly is 50% more on top of the price of a Mojo, how much would a Dave add on be logically? I have never claimed to use the Poly with the Dave.

Regarding enthusiasts spending more than 100% of the price of their Mercedes, they just buy an AMG or upgrade to a Maserati Quattroporte. There's a reason why Brabus doesn't have a lot of customers for their cars and have been reduced to selling accessories and tuning packages instead of complete cars.

Your math is way off.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #28,625 of 42,759
I'm reminded of that guy in the DX200 thread who still can't get over the fact it only comes with one MicroSD slot.

I think what's going on here is a testament to the skill of Chord and its employees. They have produced a product that has created so much great emotion--the Mojo--that it's spilling over in an equally emotional way regarding the Poly and its perceived disappointing price.

No one wants to be disappointed about something that brings them such great pleasure.

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #28,628 of 42,759
I think Chord made a mistake by selling the Mojo at such a low price...They could easily have sold it at 1000GBP, lower than the Hugo's price ( double taps, half speed, more portable)...they would have cut the owner base in half or less, and now they could launch the Poly for 500GBP, half the price of the Mojo, and everybody would be ecstatic. 
Get over it people.....You can find reasons to be displeased with Poly, and you can find reasons to love it.  Would you really have preferred to cry yourselves to sleep every night because you can't afford a Mojo?? 
You know, i can't afford a high-end system.Hell, i don't have anywhere to test a high-end system...but by general consensus, i understand that Mojo is a glimpse in the high-end audio quality. And itself is an accessory...same as Poly...same as Sonorous X, same as Z1R....you got in this game, you pay for accessories.....
Does anyone even remember how crappy or cumbersome the portable music was before Apple started to push the envelope to give us better sources, and DACs and UIs ??
I don't think i'm wrong when i say that Head-Fi would not be what is now, without revolutions like Apple, and to some degree now, Chord... 

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #28,629 of 42,759

Someone on this thread in his/her anger about the price suggested it was a fluke that the Mojo sold so well ... I couldn't believe someone could make such a comment. As to the thickness of John's skin, it's not relevant. We are all different and have different abilities. John's happens to be running a highly successful company with sales in the tens of millions, if not more.

OK. One person said something that was probably silly. As far as John's skin, I never said anything about it... But when dealing with the public, one should be prepared for the good and the bad. I don't feel that saying the Poly is overpriced, expensive, etc. is something that is disrespectful. I'll leave it at that though, because this is becoming pointless. As it's been said, the price isn't changing. I for one, am still interested in the device, and will get one if the volume control works with the phone.

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #28,630 of 42,759
Poly is 50% on top of Mojo sticker price, 8k for Dave sticker price + 50% of 8k is 12k for Dave extension (that doesn't exist yet).

If we use US dollars, the retail price of the Mojo and the Poly is the same, $599. If we use pounds, the Mojo's price is 399 pounds. 50% of the Mojo price is 199.5 pounds. Thus, your assertion is correct if the retail on the Poly is 598.5 pounds. It's not, it's 499 pounds. John has already explained that due to the Brexit vote last year, the pound has devalued 20-25%. That is the reason why in the U.K. the Poly is 100 pounds higher than the Mojo. Chord has no control over monetary policy or the exchange rate.

If you're talking about a different currency, please keep in mind that what a Chord distributor, say in India as an example, charges for a product is its decision, not Chord's. They are the sanctioned distributor, and although Chord may suggest a retail price in India, again as an example, ultimately the distributor decides since they are responsible for inventory, marketing, sales, and service and whatever costs that are associated with these duties.

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #28,631 of 42,759
I will get POLY no matter what. 
atsmile.gif

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #28,632 of 42,759
I don't feel that saying the Poly is overpriced, expensive, etc. is something that is disrespectful.

I agree. What may be disrespectful is the manner in which something is said.

Jan 8, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #28,633 of 42,759

John and Rob are people, as well as the face of their companies. I appreciate them posting here as people first, as well as representing their company. I like the fact that they post what they think rather than only carefully filtered marketing speak. With that freedom I think we need to cut some slack if we want that fee exchange. It goes both ways.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #28,634 of 42,759
chord won't dare to release anything with screen because screen are easily breakable . if at all they would, it would br of extremely well built, making it even more expensive than poly. after all, all the chord dacs are tank proof. that is the main reason the module does not have any screen . imho poly is a bit over priced but not much , considering that if it can replace micro rendu like devices. waiting for its comparison with micro rendu. the biggest plus point of ploy is that it is battery powered so it does not need any expensive lps . having said that many like me will be happy with fiio x3 ii or shanling m1 as transport to mojo.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #28,635 of 42,759
Imagine how John must have felt preparing for CES with three new products, one of which is the Hugo 2, a surefire hit (I'm going to buy one) that's going to create a lot of excitement.

He gets to the show all pumped up about the release news, and then starts reading comments based on conjecture and ignorance ... it was bound to burst his bubble. I'd react too to such gibberish.

The product is made in England. If Chord wanted to, they could have had a Chinese firm build it for half of what it cost them. I respect Chord for not buckling to the pressure to outsource its product. I'm sure they are proud it's built in their homeland and I'm also sure its employees are happy too, especially with all the excitement Chord enjoys these days from hitting so many homeruns.

No one has to agree with Chord's pricing policies, and yes, it's okay to criticize its action. Just do it with the respect that these guys deserve.

Clearly phenomenal effort goes into preparing a launch of 3 company changing products (the innovation curve is very steep).  However, when a hyper engaged and saavy audience has this sort of reaction, the launch messaging and approach is a mismatch to the audience, or in this case, I suspect the broader enthusists audience wasn't given the launch bandwidth that the press and distribution partners were given (we don't see that side obviously).

I respectfully suggest taking the feedback not as criticism of the product, but highlighting where the 2nd wave of launch activity needs to focus.  

For example, Rob's technical brief on the M scaler in the blu phenomenal...can't wait for Moore's Law to bring the $250 FPGA that powers it down to consumer levels so we all have access to a 1M(!!) tap scaler.  The technical achievement with the blu is otherworldly, and we're only years away from that trickling down to the consumer products.  Wow.  The Hugo 2 is also a phenomenal leap forward for the price point.  Very clear value story, and I can't wait to hear it (and hear from people who hear it).

For the Poly, I'm very confused who it is for, what (in detail) it does and why it is better than other options, and have far more questions than answers.  I'd appreciate a renewed focus on core use cases, detailed discussion of differentiation, and what problems it solves for whom would go a long way.   I'm sure all this stuff is well in flight, and we'll have the benefit of it well before the new goodies start shipping.  

Since the core team that has to generate all this is lucky to be getting 4 hours of sleep a night right now, sit back, enjoy the **amazing** titles at Sound Liaison and Blue Coast Records that they're practically giving away right now, pop some popcorn, and wait for additional info on the new goodies to come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back